300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Chattanooga

Hey, I'm a police officer in southern Indiana and was thinking about visiting Chattanooga with the family for a few days. Does anyone on here have suggestions of where to stay/ what to do? Also, are there any things to stay away from and do you have any pros/cons about the area? I've already looked up a bunch online, but wanted some first hand accounts from LEO's there. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Visit the Tennessee Aquarium. Go to both buildings. It is well worth it.

Comment

Civil War history

http://www.nps.gov/chch/index.htm

Comment

Ruby Falls on Lookout Mountain is a must. The Tennessee Aquarium too.

http://www.chattanoogafun.com/

https://www.RubyFalls.com/

https://www.tnaqua.org/
        Last edited by MemphisTF; 08-12-2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

If you stay in the downtown area there is a hotel right behind the children's science museum that allows you to walk to everything.
          We had a stay-cation there and it was worth it. Children museum, both buildings of the Aquarium, Rock climbing building that you climb on outside, walking bridge to Coolidge park and the huge merry go round, cardboard hill, live music every Friday, farmers market every Sunday, craft and goods on Saturday in front of the aquarium. Walk down to a special area for the kids to play in the water....bout 10 inches deep.

Ruby falls is pricy but I think it was worth it, history is also on Lookout Mountain full of cannons, old houses and markers from the Civil War. Lots and lots of stuff to do.

Comment

Lookout Mountain has great views...always visit when down that way. Train museum is pretty neat along with the Aquarium...catch a ball game if you get a chance!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the input! I have found there are a few hotels from the Chattanooga website that offer packages which include tickets to the aquarium. Is this the best route? or would someone recommend staying at a less costly hotel and buy the tickets themselves? Also, I'd like to stay downtown so I can walk to these places, but was curious if there's much crime to worry about (having kids with me and the car being parked etc) or should stay further away from downtown? Our downtown is nice here as is a lot of cities, but at the same time there's a lot of bars and night crimes that we deal with and didn't know how it was there....Thanks again for the input.

Comment

I'm in Indiana as well and was just browsing the TN forum. It has been a while since the wife and I visited Chattanooga, around seven years I believe. Doesn't seem that long though. Anyways, I enjoyed Rock City and Ruby Falls. We also did the Incline Railway, but I wasn't really impressed with that. Somehow we ended up at the top of the rail line instead of the bottom. Back then, you could park at either place and buy your ticket, so you could ride down and back up, or up and back down. I would suggest just driving up and checking out the building. From what I recall there were some great views just from the station up on the mountain. There were also great views from Rock City, so you might be able to skip the Incline railway all together. We also went downtown, but mostly to eat. They had a nice tourist area in the downtown, it was packed, and we ended up going out into town to find a place to eat (near what appeared to be a nice mall). We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites right off the interstate west of town. It was a fairly new building back in 2007. I think all the hotels have "discount" tickets to area attractions. We also made the drive to Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park south of the city in GA. A park like setting with a nice visitor's center.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3633 users online. 210 members and 3423 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X