300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment

So I figured I would give this a shot seeing as how it could not hurt anything. So I am looking for a law enforcement job in Tennessee. I have completed by Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice and have completed the academy at Walters State. I was working with Sumner County in the jail but I thought I had too much and gave it up. So Sumner County is out. I have tested for Lebanon….made a 68. Two points off. I am currently waiting to hear back from the airport to see if I passed the interview and can possibly get a spot there. As of right now my best job offer is with s security contractor in the Middle East. While it’s a cool job I still have a desire to go into law enforcement. So I wanted to see if anyone on here knew of any departments that I could try to get on at. I live in Middle Tennessee but I would move. I have an application in at Nashville and I had a list of places I had called, Van Buren was one that said they might be hiring but the person didn’t know. So if anyone can give me any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by keenjason; 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM.

I can't contact you otherwise I would tell you who is hiring right now.

Comment

Thank for your reply. I just turned on my PM’s so you can contact me now. Thanks again.

Comment

Who is hiring right now?

Comment

Metro is always hiring, but you would have to go through the full academy. The plus side to that is you get paid and benefits while attending the academy and its not a live in academy - you go home at night.

From a quick search on Policeone.com, it would seem that Springfield PD and Nolensville PD are both currently hiring as well.

Comment

I apologize in advance if it feels like I'm hijacking your thread, keenjason. But how long is Metro's Academy? Is it locally in Nashville?
            Prospective.

Comment

Metro Academy is 22 Weeks and it is locally. Its just north of downtown Nashville on Tucker Rd, directly adjacent to the fire academy. Its 9 hour days (w/ 1 hr for lunch) Mon-Fri and you go home each night.

Comment

How is the atmosphere? I've been through a few military schools so I get the whole "scuff em' up" mentality and such but should I be expecting a full out beat down or is it more calm than the Tennessee LETA?
                Prospective.

Comment

Its a pretty good beat down. They let you go home at night to lick your wounds, so that helps, but they find other ways to make it tough. The first couple weeks are weeding out the people who really wanna be there vs those looking for an easy job. After that, the beatdowns get fewer, as long as the class doesnt loose their mind. Sometime they have to remind the class where they are if they get to comfortable.

The academics are tough too. They have high standards for academics, so things like spelling tests, 10-code tests, policy quizes ect ect, are not uncommon.
                  Last edited by Eddiebauer86; 06-24-2014, 09:49 AM. Reason: add

Comment

You need to apply everywhere. Apply apply apply.

Comment

Eddiebauer86,

How long are the runs usually? I ask because I broke myself in the Army and now running more than 5 miles usually sucks (was running about 10 miles three times a week with a Long Range Recon unit) lol.

I'm very interested in Nashville, I feel like the city is big enough to keep me busy but still small enough that I'd know who I'm working with every day and be able to work my own dents in with community policing. I'm very interested in community relations with law enforcement. I know sometimes I can't make everyone happy, but if my district knows me by face as someone who is there to make a dent in whatever they're going through, I'd be happy enough with that.

How do you like the department? Are many of the current LEO's former military? Are the rank structures very conformed (EX: Standing at a pre-set position for a higher ranking officer on the street, etc)?

I understand you all lost an Officer on the interstate a few months back and I wanna say sorry for your loss, with everything considered thanks for helping me out with these questions.
                      Prospective.

Comment

The runs are usually between 3-5 miles I would guess. But they incorporate lots and lots of hills. Plus, you will probably run 3-5 miles a day at .5 miles at a time throughout the gate. One of the common forms of correction is a run to "The Gate". Its around a quarter mile to the gate and back, so its not uncommon to do that several times throughout the day.

They have also incorporated a crossfit type of workout, so you will do lots of other lifting and exercises. One of my big mistakes was I ran all flat surfaces. If your not training on big hills, your going to pay for it.

Overall its not a bad department to work for. Its definitely what you make of it. The pay and benefits are very good and equipment is very good. You will be issues everything brand spanking new out of the academy. A lot of departments give you used equipment till youve been there a while. Most of our patrol cars have less than 90k miles while other departments have an average of 150k on most of their cars. Ive always had a take home in roughly 8 years, and in that time Ive been issued two brand new, zero miles, cars.. so like I said, you cant complain about the equipment. Lots of specialized units and opportunities for promotion ect. The rank structure is fairly basic, Sgt-Lt-Capt/Commander-Dep Chief-Chief. After the academy, you wont do any open ranks or anything military-like at your station. I would say the department is probably 30% prior service vets, quite a bit. Especially when you get into some of the special units like SWAT and tactical type stuff.

Thanks for the condolences on Officer Mike Petrina. A very tragic loss (what one isnt) but he seemed to be an especially nice fellow and officer. I only met him a couple times. That interstate work is a beast and must always be respected. Not that he didnt, but you gotta be on your tippie toes when your out there. No one would ever suspect an officer would be killed on a weekend morning out in that stretch of interstate.

Comment

Portland Police Dept has posted for a certified

Comment

Originally posted by keenjason View Post
                            So I figured I would give this a shot seeing as how it could not hurt anything. So I am looking for a law enforcement job in Tennessee. I have completed by Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice and have completed the academy at Walters State. I was working with Sumner County in the jail but I thought I had too much and gave it up. So Sumner County is out. I have tested for Lebanon….made a 68. Two points off. I am currently waiting to hear back from the airport to see if I passed the interview and can possibly get a spot there. As of right now my best job offer is with s security contractor in the Middle East. While it’s a cool job I still have a desire to go into law enforcement. So I wanted to see if anyone on here knew of any departments that I could try to get on at. I live in Middle Tennessee but I would move. I have an application in at Nashville and I had a list of places I had called, Van Buren was one that said they might be hiring but the person didn’t know. So if anyone can give me any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
                            Brentwoods is always accepting apps, Springfield was last time I checked not sure of the cut off date.

Comment

I would definitely check around Memphis. All of the suburb depts pay pretty decent and treat their officers right. I saw that Collierville is currently hiring, they're a great agency and love people who are already certified. I went to the academy with guys from Cville, Germantown, and Bartlett, and they were nearly all 20-somethings recently graduating with CJ degrees. All of them are typically fairly quiet depts but with Memphis at your back door, you can find all the excitement you want.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6303 users online. 332 members and 5971 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X