Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevy5150
    replied
    It works both ways. Yes, new guys need to get a shot and there are definitely some tools that keep getting jobs. Out of several openings in the last six months or so I've applied for and didn't get, I knew the officer who got the position. Sometimes I've even worked with him and I can't believe they're hiring him because he's a moron.

Best thing is these days is to wait for a large department like Metro Nashville to hire you or just put yourself through.

Leave a comment:

• Riderboxer
    replied
    On a diffirent note sometimes I think its bullcrap when say theres one spot open and maybe 30 apps. Well from that point the dept may interview all 30 but in reality only the one's post certified will get the spot. Dont get me wrong,if I were the administration I would see it better as "we dont have to pay for Joe Smo to go to Academy. But I still feel its unfair to the other applicants who havent attended. Everyone has to get a start somewhere and if noone will give you a chance then how do you get started?! I know some people will disagree,but I feel you have to open your options and weigh them,not let one thing be a deciding factor.

Leave a comment:

• Riderboxer
    replied
    Originally posted by knoxLEOhopeful View Post
    Knox County and Blount County do hire laterals... I've seen them take POST Certified officers from other departments. Knoxville and Chattanooga will make you go through their academy and I hear a rumor that Metropolitan Nashville is actually developing a lateral academy curriculum.
    Iv heard personaly from a Blount County Deputy that they have recently made it to where you had to go through their academy no matter what. Now they may hire you post certified already,but to them thats equalievent to someone who goes in there non post certified. Either way THEIR academy is required. Some departments allow waivers,but dont know if thats applied here.

Leave a comment:

• knoxLEOhopeful
    replied
    Knox County and Blount County do hire laterals... I've seen them take POST Certified officers from other departments. Knoxville and Chattanooga will make you go through their academy and I hear a rumor that Metropolitan Nashville is actually developing a lateral academy curriculum.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingPig1
    replied
    I applied to an agency as a lateral and made the comment in my oral they asked if I had any special training that would be of interest. I told them I was a helicopter and airplane pilot. The interviewer, who was an admin geek, boasted that they didnt care because XXXX PD would teach me how to fly their way. (like that clown knew anything about flying to begin with. I can say that because I know him now) I responded, "Oh thats great, because I attended the same flight school you contract with to train your new pilots." The look on his face was priceless!

I hate it when I hear agencies talk about laterals bringing bad habits. I usually find that the person making the comment has never been a lateral. Sure people can have their quirks, but I believe the gains of hiring a quality lateral far out weigh training a new kid. Your background and your interviews should remove any doubt about what type of officer you are hiring. My thought with hiring a lateral? You made your mistakes and got your training on someone else's dime with your last agency. So I am getting a huge amount of equity when you come on with my department.

Anyway, thats my view from the left coast for what its worth.
    Last edited by FlyingPig1; 04-30-2011, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Riderboxer
    replied
    Originally posted by chevy5150 View Post
    I agree, a lot of departments want someone that they can mold then a guy like myself with experience that might have bad habits(according to them). Don't necessarily agree with that stance, but that's just the way it is.
    Its funny you mention that chevy cause I was just discussing something along those lines with another officer.

Leave a comment:

• chevy5150
    replied
    I agree, a lot of departments want someone that they can mold then a guy like myself with experience that might have bad habits(according to them). Don't necessarily agree with that stance, but that's just the way it is.

Leave a comment:

• Riderboxer
    replied
    Dare Supporter hit it on the head,put yourself through the academy and you'll stand a better
    chance of getting on with a department. Actually a 90% chance of getting on within a year.
    Which is how long you have before having to repeat the academy or challenge the post test
    if not with a department upon graduating the academy within a year. I went to Cleveland State
    and most of the guys that werent with a department got on somewhere within months. Also keep
    in mind,if you go to a sponsered academy,then wind up getting hired by Chattanooga,Knoxville,Knox
    County,Blount County, and Nashville you'll have to go through THEIR academy. They wont recognize
    the fact your post certified else where. Good luck,also keep in mind it doesnt hurt to get some education
    and possibly volunteer work under your belt to make you more appeling to Agencys. This is a competive
    field so every little bit of experince you can get helps.

Leave a comment:

• tdadkins00
    replied
    yeah i think thats the rout im going to do im in the process of gettin all of my paper work turned in the police academy starts the 25th of july im gettin pretty excited

Leave a comment:

• chevy5150
    replied
    Go to the academy, INVEST IN YOURSELF

Leave a comment:

• DARE_SUPPORTER
    replied
    Originally posted by easttnleo View Post
    Up to you. In East TN, it definately wouldn't hurt to have the academy out of way, especially when all departments around here are in budget crisis it seems.
    X2^^^^^^^^

Knoxville is about your best bet (in East, TN) of having a dept send you to the academy. But they are not currently accepting applications. If you were willing to move around the state Nashville Metro and Memphis have their own academies and would send you. Also Shelby county will be accepting application in the next week or so and they send you to their academy (Theirs starts in NOV).

For East, TN you may have to go work in the jail for atleast a year or so, depending on the county. Knox co starts you in the jail and after one year you are eligible to go to the road, but dont hold your breath. Just put in for everything.

You may have better luck sending yourself if you plan to stay in East, TN. to get a patrol job. But just cause you go to the self sponsored academy does not guarantee you a job...

Leave a comment:

• easttnleo
    replied
    Up to you. In East TN, it definately wouldn't hurt to have the academy out of way, especially when all departments around here are in budget crisis it seems.

Leave a comment:

• tadkins00
    replied
    also just wanting some opinions on this as well walters state will be puttin on a law enforcment academy class starting july 25th and ending sep 16 should i go ahead and put up the money and just take this class or just wait and if i get hired on with a dept let them pay for me to go would it help my chances a lot to go ahead and do the class

Leave a comment:

• easttnleo
    replied
    I don't work for HCSO, but know them very well. I would try Knoxville as well...they will probably hire before MPD does.

Leave a comment:

• tadkins00
    replied
    yeah i just put those two down i plan on puttin in applications in all the departments in the surrounding counties were i live i just want to be a leo so doesnt matter to me where i work

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4325 users online. 274 members and 4051 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X