300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chevy5150 View Post
    I agree, a lot of departments want someone that they can mold then a guy like myself with experience that might have bad habits(according to them). Don't necessarily agree with that stance, but that's just the way it is.
    Its funny you mention that chevy cause I was just discussing something along those lines with another officer.

Comment

I applied to an agency as a lateral and made the comment in my oral they asked if I had any special training that would be of interest. I told them I was a helicopter and airplane pilot. The interviewer, who was an admin geek, boasted that they didnt care because XXXX PD would teach me how to fly their way. (like that clown knew anything about flying to begin with. I can say that because I know him now) I responded, "Oh thats great, because I attended the same flight school you contract with to train your new pilots." The look on his face was priceless!

I hate it when I hear agencies talk about laterals bringing bad habits. I usually find that the person making the comment has never been a lateral. Sure people can have their quirks, but I believe the gains of hiring a quality lateral far out weigh training a new kid. Your background and your interviews should remove any doubt about what type of officer you are hiring. My thought with hiring a lateral? You made your mistakes and got your training on someone else's dime with your last agency. So I am getting a huge amount of equity when you come on with my department.

Anyway, thats my view from the left coast for what its worth.
      Last edited by FlyingPig1; 04-30-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Knox County and Blount County do hire laterals... I've seen them take POST Certified officers from other departments. Knoxville and Chattanooga will make you go through their academy and I hear a rumor that Metropolitan Nashville is actually developing a lateral academy curriculum.

Comment

Originally posted by knoxLEOhopeful View Post
          Knox County and Blount County do hire laterals... I've seen them take POST Certified officers from other departments. Knoxville and Chattanooga will make you go through their academy and I hear a rumor that Metropolitan Nashville is actually developing a lateral academy curriculum.
          Iv heard personaly from a Blount County Deputy that they have recently made it to where you had to go through their academy no matter what. Now they may hire you post certified already,but to them thats equalievent to someone who goes in there non post certified. Either way THEIR academy is required. Some departments allow waivers,but dont know if thats applied here.

Comment

On a diffirent note sometimes I think its bullcrap when say theres one spot open and maybe 30 apps. Well from that point the dept may interview all 30 but in reality only the one's post certified will get the spot. Dont get me wrong,if I were the administration I would see it better as "we dont have to pay for Joe Smo to go to Academy. But I still feel its unfair to the other applicants who havent attended. Everyone has to get a start somewhere and if noone will give you a chance then how do you get started?! I know some people will disagree,but I feel you have to open your options and weigh them,not let one thing be a deciding factor.

Comment

It works both ways. Yes, new guys need to get a shot and there are definitely some tools that keep getting jobs. Out of several openings in the last six months or so I've applied for and didn't get, I knew the officer who got the position. Sometimes I've even worked with him and I can't believe they're hiring him because he's a moron.

Best thing is these days is to wait for a large department like Metro Nashville to hire you or just put yourself through.
              You can teach a monkey to write tickets, but this was a REAL Police Officer: http://www.ncea314.com/bishop.aspx

My President is Jack Bauer, not Barry Soetero

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4281 users online. 274 members and 4007 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X