300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCA Off Duty

Am I reading and understanding TCA 39-17-1311 (Park Carry) correctly in the fact that a off duty LEO, if the park is posted as no carry, is not allow to carry there as well? Only allowed to carry there if there on official duty ?

Technically "yes." Although I don't think you will find too many parks/places that mind LEOs carrying off-duty.

Depending on which park it is, you may be able to carry there anyway. It's up to each city/county to ban weapons in their individual parks since the new state law went into effect.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

If it's government property posted no carrying then yes off duty LE are not authorized to carry. Must local government buildings that are posted state exempt Law Enforcement Officers.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Actually those last answers were incorrect. You need to read TCA 39-17-1350 posted here below:

39-17-1350. Law enforcement officers permitted to carry firearms — Exceptions — Restrictions — Identification card for corrections officers.

(a) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, any law enforcement officer may carry firearms at all times and in all places within Tennessee, on-duty or off-duty, regardless of the officer's regular duty hours or assignments, except as provided by subsection (c), federal law, lawful orders of court or the written directives of the executive supervisor of the employing agency.

(b) The authority conferred by this section is expressly intended to and shall supersede restrictions placed upon law enforcement officers' authority to carry firearms by other sections within this part.

(c) The authority conferred by this section shall not extend to a law enforcement officer:

(1) Who is not engaged in the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer and carries a firearm onto school grounds or inside a school building during regular school hours unless the officer immediately informs the principal that the officer will be present on school grounds or inside the school building and in possession of a firearm. If the principal is unavailable, the notice may be given to an appropriate administrative staff person in the principal's office;

(2) Who is consuming beer or an alcoholic beverage or who is under the influence of beer, an alcoholic beverage, or a controlled substance; or

(3) Who is not engaged in the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer while attending a judicial proceeding.

This allows us to carry our firearms in parks.
        10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime. (SgtScott31 jacked this from me, I had it first, but no hard feelings.)

Comment

I stand corrected. How long has 1350 been around? I'm honestly surprised I have overlooked this statute.

Comment

I'm not sure. If I am reading the footer correctly, it originated in 2000 and was last ammended in 2010.
            10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime. (SgtScott31 jacked this from me, I had it first, but no hard feelings.)

Comment

By the way SgtScott31, how are things going at good old MNAA?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramblinman View Post
                By the way SgtScott31, how are things going at good old MNAA?
                Same stuff different day. Going to school and hanging with MM on midnights. You still creating havoc on the streets in MJ?

Comment

Yeah. I'm back on patrol. Working 2nd shift.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3609 users online. 178 members and 3431 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X