300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display of registration decal

Are there any requirements as to where the registration decal must be displayed....If it is in TCA, I sure as Hades can not locate it. I seem to remember, many moons ago, in the academy...one of the instructors saying it had to be affixed in the upper right hand corner...Maybe it was a local thing where he was from....

my phone has an ap that allows me to search keywords on TCA and the only thing it shows on "registration decal" is 55-4-129 unlawful removal of registration decal or plate and 55-4-104 Expiration of certificates and plates, renewal, decals, fees and renewal plates.

Neither one specifies to where it must be affixed. Ill keep looking.

Comment

TCA 55-4-110 is the code that outlines that a plate must be clear and free from obstructions. It specifically outlines no tint, but you can use this code on literally anything that is obstructing the plate in any way. This can include improperly mounted temp tags, sports team frames or anything that obscures the plate.

I would say that if you have decals that can't be read, this would fall under that statute. I can't find anything that specifically says they must be posted in certain areas. It's a big pet peeve of mine when people stick them in the wrong places too, but I don't believe it's illegal, or at least I can't find anything that indicates such.
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

While I agree any covering would be in violation of the statute...a frame, would not. There was a case a few years back where a stop was made for a frame partially covering the plate...the subject eventually fought the police after being very aggressive and berating. The suspect was a black male. I am pretty sure it was a TN Supreme Court case. Anyway, the case was thrown out even though the frame partially obscured the plate. I'm looking for the case now...

Comment

TJx2, I have to disagree with you. I have made many stops where a frame was intentionally, or unintentionally blocking a plate and my charge has been upheld in court. I'm curious to read the case if you can find it. In fact, I was in court last week and the defendant brought in the frame that got them charged. The judge thanked them for bringing it, agreed he could not read the tag, and upheld the charge. It was not my ticket, but same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by jducham View Post
            TJx2, I have to disagree with you. I have made many stops where a frame was intentionally, or unintentionally blocking a plate and my charge has been upheld in court. I'm curious to read the case if you can find it. In fact, I was in court last week and the defendant brought in the frame that got them charged. The judge thanked them for bringing it, agreed he could not read the tag, and upheld the charge. It was not my ticket, but same situation.
            I can't seem to find it...I can see the video in my head...it is a black make pulled over (actually another cop I believe) for a license plate frame. He becomes belligerent and eventually gets arrested. The case ends up in the supreme court and the basic opinion was that as long as the state and actual numbers were visible it is legal and the stop was thrown out. I will ask around at work when I go back

Comment

The courts here uphold it as foreign material. Not to mention there is also municipal codes we cite for instead of the TCA for display of registration plate. Please find it and post it if you can. I would really like to see the details of the case and the results.
              Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

I would like to know this case as well.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I don't see a problem with a frame or cover if it's not hindering my ability to read the state, registration numbers/letters, and expiration stickers. As far as people not putting the stickers in the right place, I've never understood what is so difficult about putting the new stickers where the old ones were. But, people in this state seem to enjoy decorating all 4 corners with various stickers. As long as the month and current year's registration sticker are SOMEWHERE visible, I don't think there's much to be done. People like to cover up the month sticker, often mistaking the wheel tax or registration stickers for month stickers themselves (which SHOULD cease to be a problem when they start saying "13" on them).

I don't know why we need a wheel tax sticker anyway. It just adds to the potential confusion.

Comment

Most of the people who place the registration decals over the month have the intention of doing so. It truly isn't that difficult to understand where they go. They are attempting to cover up the month for a reason. If I ever see this, I cite for the violation, and haven't been contested once.
                    You are what you do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5983 users online. 343 members and 5640 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X