Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis PD

I tested on February 12.
    Last edited by cbeck30; 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM.

They called three people I listed as references. They asked basic questions about you an whether or not they think you are capable to do the job. They had trouble verifying my employment through my companies HR dept. so they had me send a pay stub in as verification that I worked there.

I've completed everything myself and am waiting on the June date (hopefully).
    Memphis PD
    Applied: 09/2010
    Physical Fitness Test: 11/20/2010 (Passed)
    Written Test: 11/20/ 2010 (Passed)
    COE: 12/02/2010
    Psych. Test: 12/4/2010
    Medical: 01/31/11
    Waiting on final offer.

Comment

Good luck to you two! I have been really thinking about applying to the MPD. It looks like an excellent department, what do you guys think?
      Also, how many times did you guys need to go in for testing. I only ask because I live in Maryland so it is a very long drive. The only reason I haven't applied yet is because I need to call the recruiter on a day I'm off and find out since I live so far if they will let me reschedule a test if I cant make it or if they say that I have to make it or im out then that might be hard for me to do until later this year.

Comment

I had to visit the academy to turn in my app, go for written and physical, go for psych, go pick up my medical packet, and then I had to go to the medical which was out by the Memphis airport...all on different days. So that's atleast 5 times. I have no idea how they handle out of towners.
        Memphis PD
        Waiting on final offer.

Comment

Bojangles, I see that your a step below the academy. I sent in my application and have PATs set for the 12th.

The back ground guy i talked to said that there would be approximently two week segments that I would hear from them (turn in app, PATs, physc, med, etc) and i was just wondering if that held true for you seeing that you've done it all already.

Also I've been in contact with Susan Lowe via email talking to her about a few things and have been trying to reach Lt. Moss at the academy but with no luck, did you have a hard time getting a hold of someone at the academy as well?

Comment

Originally posted by dvpikes View Post
            Bojangles, I see that your a step below the academy. I sent in my application and have PATs set for the 12th.

The back ground guy i talked to said that there would be approximently two week segments that I would hear from them (turn in app, PATs, physc, med, etc) and i was just wondering if that held true for you seeing that you've done it all already.

Also I've been in contact with Susan Lowe via email talking to her about a few things and have been trying to reach Lt. Moss at the academy but with no luck, did you have a hard time getting a hold of someone at the academy as well?
            From the physical fitness test forward everything tended to happen within the next two weeks. My medical would have been as well but I was going to be out of town the first time they tried to schedule me for it. I had less than a week notice when scheduling each event. I never contacted anyone at the academy so I can't help you there.
            Memphis PD
            Waiting on final offer.

Comment

• Mfranco57
              Mfranco57 commented
              Editing a comment
              For the medical paperwork, did you have to bring your medical records? I am filling the stuff out now before I head down for 3 day testing.

Alright i appreciate it. I've read so many bad things about how long the process takes I wasn't sure lol

Are you looking to get into the June academy?

Comment

should be mailing my application in on friday. What was the written test like? I cant seem to find any information on it. Is it basically just a POST test or completely different? Basically do I have anything to worry about if I score in the 90s for the standard POST test.

Also I probably could have asked the recruiter but was curious what you guys thought, I have taken two polygraphs in the past and probably failed the first one since I was so nervous and the second they said I was fine but got a rejection letter a few weeks later. Does the department look down on this? I have also made mistakes in the past (no criminal record) but have done the regular smoked pot about 5 times and one or two cases of theft (items under $20) everything was years ago.

Do you guys think I have a shot at the department? Will they give me the chance to prove I can be one of the best? Either way I will give it a shot but this would be a dream job and department for me and I would hate for them to be so strict with my stupid mistakes in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by rfritz12 View Post
                should be mailing my application in on friday. What was the written test like? I cant seem to find any information on it. Is it basically just a POST test or completely different? Basically do I have anything to worry about if I score in the 90s for the standard POST test.

Also I probably could have asked the recruiter but was curious what you guys thought, I have taken two polygraphs in the past and probably failed the first one since I was so nervous and the second they said I was fine but got a rejection letter a few weeks later. Does the department look down on this? I have also made mistakes in the past (no criminal record) but have done the regular smoked pot about 5 times and one or two cases of theft (items under $20) everything was years ago.

Do you guys think I have a shot at the department? Will they give me the chance to prove I can be one of the best? Either way I will give it a shot but this would be a dream job and department for me and I would hate for them to be so strict with my stupid mistakes in the past.
                I'll let you know what the written is like after i take it however i've heard it isn't anything to get worked up over as long as you have some intelligence.

I personally don't know from experience but a friend has told me that the department does not do a polygraph test, that's just coming from him however.

As far as smoking pot I couldn't tell you, I've never dont anything besides drink a few cold ones. It does say on the website that they do lab tests to determine drug use, i have no idea how long that crap stays in your system.

If the theft was to a employer which caught you then I would say that there'd be no chance of even sending it in b/c from my understanding the back ground is very intensive. If you weren't caught i guess if you can live with it then it won't matter

Comment

dvpikes, the pot was almost 9 years ago so I dont think that would be an issue. The thefts were basically us going to a junkyard and getting a couple parts and at the same time take one or two little things (again this was over 5 years ago) I was just curious if they would DQ me for that or not. I know some police departments hire people who have stolen cars as teenagers in the past and some say that these things are nothing to be concerned about at all. I'll be upfront about everything when they ask i was just curious if they might hold my stupid high school mistakes against me. but I guess I'll find out over the next couple months.

Comment

The written test is very easy. I've taken the post test as well and it was easier than that. We did have one guy in our group fail the test somehow tho. I have no idea about the criminal history or pot smoking. There was a written psychological profile test that we had to do during the process. It asks about all the things mentioned. I'm sure they score these somehow. The in person psych. interview did include asking about things which got flagged during that test.
                    Memphis PD
                    Waiting on final offer.

Comment

Well got through everything yesterday, wasn't very bad at all. There was alot more people there then i figured, about 50 or 60 in all. Around 10 didn't even make the 15 min mile and one guy in our smaller group failed the written test somehow.

The woman told the rest of us that in about a month we would be getting a call (if good) or a letter (if bad) pending on our background check so hopefully i'll be getting a call in the next few weeks.

She did say that everyone that was getting through the PAT tests and passed back ground would be getting into the June class so I was pretty excited about that. Have you heard anything else Bojangles?

Comment

Does anyone know how officer pay is to cost of living in Memphis? I'm deciding on applying to Memphis, keeping my options open.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.NYC View Post
                          Does anyone know how officer pay is to cost of living in Memphis? I'm deciding on applying to Memphis, keeping my options open.
                          Pay is very good for the area, MPD is one of highest paid dept in the state.

Comment

I sent in my BI packet a few weeks ago and talked to a recruiter that I would receive information for testing that was scheduled in May. I was just wondering if anyone currently that works or is located in the area could give some info on the current morale in the department and if there is a link for the FOP I tried searching.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3064 users online. 156 members and 2908 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X