300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to train for obstacle course

I have a test coming up for a police department. The physical consist of a obstacle course: 400 yrd obstacle including fences, ditch jump, balance beam, dummy drag. The department and the state I work for now has a totally different test. I dont have any fences I can practice with. Wat are my best options as far as training?
    Thanks Guys and Be Careful!

What department are you going to be testing for? If you go to a public park I'm sure they have some fences you could work on. Just be creative.

Comment

run 1500-2000 ft distances as fast as you can.... most people don't have problems getting over fences unless they are really tired / out of breath. I had same question so what I was doing was running sprint distances, when it came to the obstacle course I did it with no problems since I was not tired / out of breath when it came to the actual obstacles.

Comment

Im actually going to go fro Sevierville, which is the one I want and also Clarksville in the next 2 months.

HEAVSENS, Thanx for the advice. I know I can stand the endurance part. Im not quit as thin as I was when I got hired in 2006 but not enough it should affect it too much.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

i did an obstacle course yesterday, don't underestimate the dummy drag.

Comment

Originally posted by jameshouston View Post
            i did an obstacle course yesterday, don't underestimate the dummy drag.
            My advice for the Dummy drag is brute strength and get that heavy A** thing up high as possible off the ground, atleast thats what worked for me, I had to do a some many yard dash(cant remember), open a cruiser door, unbuckle the dummy, and then drag it out, and run back to the start line with the dummy in under 30 secs. Luckily I got it in 15 secs but it was a pain for that 15 secs.

Good Luck

Comment

The dummy I am definatelly not underestimating. The test I took in IL consist of sit ups, a sit and reach, bench press, and a 1 1/2 mil run in a certain time. In your opinions is an 400 yd obstacle course easier than a 1 1/2 mile run. Running is my weakness.

Comment

Strengthen those legs run and sprints. The dummy pull it up to you chest and use your legs. Any idea how tall the fence is?
                Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

One is 4 and 7 foot. The other is 2,4, and 8ft. I would think an obstacle would be easier than a straight 1 1/2 mile run. Has anyoe got an opinion on this?

Comment

Personally, i kinda like the obstacle, I did one a few years back and it started with you sitting in a squad car buckled in, they said go, you got out and jumped up on a 4ft stage and ran around the building through a ditch and up to a punching bag, you picked up an ASP and hit the bag drop it and run further up and around a hill then to a pair on 30lb dumbells where you apply a pair of cuffs and dive under a sign and then back down the hill to a officer with a training firearm and dry fire 10 times in each hand, they counted to, to make sure your did 10 not more or less.

with my current dept we do the 1.5 run and its just boring to me, atleast when i came on with them I had to do a swim test to, so that made it a little more fun.

I play raquet ball and train brazilian jiu jitsu for cardio, cause just plain running bores me.

Comment

The walls or fences are what bother me i guess

Comment

Originally posted by jpbklb View Post
                        The walls or fences are what bother me i guess
                        Dont let them bother you, just give them your all. you will be good.

Comment

Thanx man!! I hope so. Got to get out of IL.

Comment

Originally posted by jpbklb View Post
                            Thanx man!! I hope so. Got to get out of IL.
                            I know man, us guys here in TN are waiting for another good officer.

Comment

Im wondering about the 8ft wall at Sevierville. Will they have a rope do you think or will you just have to jump up and pull yourself over it?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1997 users online. 133 members and 1864 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X