300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota Highway Patrol

Anyone have opinions (good or bad) about a career in SD Highway Patrol. Received a letter saying they are taking applications.
    Input from any officers in SD would be helpful.
    Thankyou
    LE Background: BA Criminal Justice

Florida Highway Patrol
    Physical and Written Test- Aug 28, 2008

West Virginia State Police
    Application pending

Tennessee Highway Patrol
    Application pending

Virginia State Police
    Application pending

Colorado State Patrol
    Application pending

Well, every day with the South Dakota Highway Patrol is a fine outstanding day indeed. Every pay check is a fortune, every formation is a parade and every meal is a feast. And I Love It Here!! ;o)

Really, it is a good place to work. We are suffering some budget constraints right now, but it's nothing to worry about. Good state, good people, lots of work to be done. Can't complain. Most of our duty stations are pretty rural. If you like to hunt, fish, outdoors, etc. it is a great state to be in. If you need a city of 2 million and lots of dance clubs to make you happy it probably isn't for you.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Comment

rural huh? theres a pig farm behind my house... so i think im ok with rural haha.
      that was actually one of the reasons why SD appealed to me; coming from a place with small town feel, ive visited places that didnt have it and i felt out place.

the main issue i see with applying there is the money for plane tickets to complete the application process. VA to SD... $$

it sounds like a great place to work though and i am going to def send an application.

thanks for your help
      LE Background: BA Criminal Justice

Florida Highway Patrol
      Physical and Written Test- Aug 28, 2008

West Virginia State Police
      Application pending

Tennessee Highway Patrol
      Application pending

Virginia State Police
      Application pending

Colorado State Patrol
      Application pending

Comment

SDHP is an excellent agency. Like sross said, they're going through some major budget issues right now.... and that's dictating when they can accept applications and hold hiring processes.
        1*

Comment

Good, we are always looking for quality candidates. I only know of three open duty stations right now; Faith and two spots in Hot Springs. Faith is extremely rural (town of 500 and over 100 miles from much of anything) and Hot Springs is a small town in the southern part of the Black Hills. There will be more after a round of promotions go through here in a couple weeks though.

Comment

On the website, I didn't see anything about taking a polygraph. Do they require you to take a polygraph?

Comment

I was looking at the SDHP website and can't find a payscale. How much do starting troopers get paid? What is top pay? Do troopers pay into Social Security?

Also, what kind of shifts do troopers work?
              Last edited by stryker11; 08-13-2008, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I think the starting wage is around $35,000, goes up to over $40K within 3/4 years. Most top out in the mid 40's. Not amazing pay, but considering my 5 bedroom house cost less than 60K, it is good enough. Yes we pay into social security and our retirement is usually a pay raise after 25+ years of service.

Shifts depend a little on where you are stationed, but most do a month of days and a month of nights, every other weekend off, every other holiday off, and most sergeants are very flexible with the schedule if given enough advance notice. Most rural areas day shift starts at 07 or 08 and night shift doesn't go past midnight except on weekends or special events. Weekend night shifts are usually out to 03 or 04.

A very nice part about our agency is that we only work 8 hour shifts. Go out at 08, get off at 1600. This includes an hour paid lunch and $12 per diem a day to eat that lunch in public and take care of dry cleaning expenses. Almost all time over 8 hours is paid at time and a half, travel and training time you burn though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3336 users online. 168 members and 3168 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X