Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid City PD and area

Hey everyone!

Couple years ago, I spent about 2 weeks in the Deadwood/Sturgis area and loved it. Recently, I've thought about making a big move from the east coast to western South Dakota. I had some questions for any of you who live in/around Rapid City.

1-What is the area like in general (crime rate, cost of living compaired to the starting salary of $36,500., what kind of arts and entertainment is in/around the area?)

2-What is the PD like in general (morale, work schedual 8, 10, or 12 hr. shifts?, how easy/hard is it to get promoted/selected into a special unit)

Thanks for your help!
    Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Rapid has a great PD. Good morale, equipment and training. They are conducting another round of hiring in October. I think the application deadline is Sept. 12. The academy is a 12 week residential/paramilitary operation held in Pierre.

I suggest talking to Tom Senesac. He's really helpful and a nice guy in general. He would be the one to talk to if the website doesn't answer your questions. http://www.rcgov.org/police/

Rapid City has its share of crime. There's a particular problem with drunken driving and sexual offenses. Statistically Rapid City has as much crime for a city its size as Alexandria. The city is growing and needs officers.

The starting rate for RCPD is 17.57 per hour. You can make a nice life for yourself on that if you plan well. Rapid City has a low cost of living. There are art and cultural venues, and we are getting a hockey team this fall.
    Last edited by miga; 08-23-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Tell you, most places within 100 miles is good. I grew up in western SD and NE Wyoming. Look at Gillette, Spearfish, Lawrence co., Pennington co is good, and even Sturgis. I would work for them.
      "Be safe, have fun, and lock somebody up"

Comment

Im from Mn where the competion for police is fierce Im thinking of droping a app in with Rapid City Police. Although im a little disappointed in what they pay im hopeing that the recreation outthere can help make up for it.
        Two things is there good hunting and snowmobiling close by RC?? like minuets from my driveway??

Comment

The application deadline has passed...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3074 users online. 179 members and 2895 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X