Security with Deputy Sheriff authrority

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security with Deputy Sheriff authrority

I've been told that security officers, hold the powers of a deputy sheriff? Any truth to this?
    "Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally posted by BadBoynMD View Post
    I've been told that security officers, hold the powers of a deputy sheriff? Any truth to this?
    Not that i know of. Deputy Sheriff's are certified police officers.
    "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

I do not know if it is still true, but about 10 years ago my buddy became a SC security guard, and he said that in SC security guards had law enforcement authority equivalent to a deputy sheriff on the property they were contracted to work on. He was given a miranda card when he went to the security guard certification school. I was surprised, but reading his license it appeared to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by jnhdrac View Post
        I do not know if it is still true, but about 10 years ago my buddy became a SC security guard, and he said that in SC security guards had law enforcement authority equivalent to a deputy sheriff on the property they were contracted to work on. He was given a miranda card when he went to the security guard certification school. I was surprised, but reading his license it appeared to be true.
        Must still be in effect. I know in NC you can start your own private police department. Pretty interesting.
        "Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yes they do, at least the ones that carry weapons. Most area malls, the guards do not carry weapons. It is governed by SLED in South Carolina. However, most security companies will not allow their guards per their policy act. In order for a Security Guard to carry a weapon, they have to given a card by SLED, stating they are allowed to carry that specific weapon, however they are not LEO's , so they can not Mirandize.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

All security officers in SC have the same authority as deputy sheriffs, but only on the property they work on, and while on duty. This is regardless of being armed or not. The other post was correct in that most companies will not let their officers make arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina Deputy View Post
              All security officers in SC have the same authority as deputy sheriffs, but only on the property they work on, and while on duty. This is regardless of being armed or not. The other post was correct in that most companies will not let their officers make arrest.
              Is it the same in North Carolina and South Carolina? Are the called security guards even if they have arrest powers?

Comment

I was a security guard before entering into LE. I know of no circumstance where a security guard has arrest authority in this state. It does have me very curious tho and plan to do some research tonight.
                If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

According to our General Statute a security guard may not arrest. It is true that in NC you can start your own special police pursuant to the rules and regulations of the board of commissioners. However, what I have been able to find, thus far, the special police are sworn officers not security guards.

GS15A-404 No private person; may arrest another person except as provided in GS 15A-405. A private person may detain another person as provided in this section.

Hope this helps I'm still digging LOL

Comment

Originally posted by taz1802 View Post
                    According to our General Statute a security guard may not arrest. It is true that in NC you can start your own special police pursuant to the rules and regulations of the board of commissioners. However, what I have been able to find, thus far, the special police are sworn officers not security guards.

GS15A-404 No private person; may arrest another person except as provided in GS 15A-405. A private person may detain another person as provided in this section.

Okay, the Washington Post did a article on "privatizing police powers". They had a security officer that made a traffic stop inside a apartment complex, with blue lights, etc. As he worked for for a private special police department. This is getting pretty interesting.

Comment

Okay, the Washington Post did a article on "privatizing police powers". They had a security officer that made a traffic stop inside a apartment complex, with blue lights, etc. As he worked for for a private special police department. This is getting pretty interesting.
                      yay this really is.

Comment

Ive been told that they are called company police

Comment

Special Police or Company Police are sworn officers. They take an oath of office provided to them by the States Attorney General. Security officers do not. They are governed by the Private Protection Services Board. They must be registered and licensed with the PPS. Armed security officers are also governed by the PPS Board and go through a bit more training.

GS 74C I believe is for PPS
                          GS74E-6 talks about other types of Policing

Of course...always looking for more LOL

Be safe

Comment

As far as the Washington Post article, unfortunately, I never read it but since the media printed they more than likely called the special police officer a security guard.... Like everyone else does. I'm sworn in the State of NC and people still call me a security guard. LOL Oh well!

Comment

Special Police or Company Police are sworn officers. They take an oath of office provided to them by the States Attorney General. Security officers do not. They are governed by the Private Protection Services Board. They must be registered and licensed with the PPS. Armed security officers are also governed by the PPS Board and go through a bit more training.

GS 74C I believe is for PPS
                              GS74E-6 talks about other types of Policing

Of course...always looking for more LOL

Be safe
                              thanks for the info

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8062 users online. 238 members and 7824 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X