300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get into SC L.E. from FL

I'm certified in FL and haven't been hired yet alot because of a small tattoo on the side of my neck (which is in the process of getting lasered off). I was wondering what I'd have to do to get certified in SC. Any info would be much appreciated.

Are you a sworn officer working full-time? If so, once hired by an agency in SC, you'll need to contact the Academy and they'll decide if your certification will transfer. They'll evaluate your transcripts and if approved, you can challenge the test. If you pass, you're good. If not..well...you know the drill.

They also have a 3 week legals course, 4 weeks course (legals and driving) and the full 9 week academy.

If you're not full-time and you've just been through the academy in FL, they will make you attend the full academy here.

But the first step is to get hired by a local agency.

Comment

|I'm only certified in FL and haven't worked yet. Do you know any northern SC agencies that are hiring? Thanks!

Comment

North Myrtle Beach DPS, Horry County Police, SCHP, Surfside Beach........ blah blah blah........ In this region of South Carolina damn near everyone is hiring, I'm sure Jet Troop can verify this for you.
        State Trooper, South Carolina Highway Patrol and proud of it buddy.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Is SC strict on visible tattoos? I have one on my neck that Iv'e been getting lasered and should be off within 6 months and one on my forearm that I won't remove but will wear long sleeves if I have to. Please let me know anything on this matter. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
            Thanks for the info guys. Is SC strict on visible tattoos? I have one on my neck that Iv'e been getting lasered and should be off within 6 months and one on my forearm that I won't remove but will wear long sleeves if I have to. Please let me know anything on this matter. Thanks!
            Tattoo policy is usually up to the specific Agency. If you are certified in Florida, why not get hired there? Without having any LE experience, you will have to most likely attend the Academy in SC and start day 1 at any Agency. Plus the pay is not well statewide.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I have applied about 10 agencies and the tattoo is holding me back and the cost living is so high in FL compared to SC.

Comment

Where in SC are you looking. The cost of living is not that cheap in some areas and the pay is very low. Moving to another state is a big step.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I was looking at Spartanburg and Greer, the more northern parts. I've looked at prices of homes and there about 3 times less than FL.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                    I was looking at Spartanburg and Greer, the more northern parts. I've looked at prices of homes and there about 3 times less than FL.
                    Well Spartanburg, you have to be a Police Officer and a Firefighter and Greer, is not that big of a department. I would look at either Beaufort County Sheriff, Myrtle Beach. But again, the starting pay for most agencies in SC is very low and rent is not that cheap.

Comment

Try Anderson or Greenville County. Whoever said rent is high is crazy. They live in the lowcounty obviously. Maxx and I mean absolute MAXX rent you should have to pay in Greenville/Anderson area is about 550 or 600.

Comment

Hey Law,
                        I saw your post and I moved from South Florida to North Carolina. If you're interested in going one more state up, I don't think anyone has problems with Tatts here, and the housing is comparable. Depending on the department, you might only have to do a lateral academy. Good Luck.

-Battleax (NC LEO)

Comment

Yes, agencies in the Grand Strand area are always hiring. We just had a process, so give us a few months and we'll be running one again.

As for cost of living...well...

Housing? Very High
                          Car Insurance? High
                          Gas? High
                          House Insurance? Very High
                          Food? Normal
                          Clothing? Normal
                          Pay? Medium

A couple of local agencies have gotten raises and that's helped push us in the right direction. Rumor is a nice size raise is coming (read: BIG DAMN RAISE) that should boost our base salary the near highest in the state. (We're so-so now...of the highest, most are public safety departments like North Myrtle Beach, Spartanburg, Orangeburg, etc or require a four-year degree like Charleston). I'm not knocking any of those, just saying they pay better than most but there is a reason. Additionally we have a huge amount of overtime and specials (extra duties) and most officers pull well over their base. I mean like...WELL over their base salaries. Additionally my department pays for 100% medical for you, gives you a free city gym membership (3 gyms) and awards additional vacation days if you work out. Small Christmas bonus (1 week's salary...or so) and a Thanksgiving turkey. haha..sorry, thought I'd throw that in there to be funny.

Cost of living in the upstate is going to be a lot lower. Gas is probably down from here, housing is DEFINATELY down from here, as well as home owners insurance. South Carolina overall is a pretty good policing state as far as laws and practices. (I've worked in North Carolina for 9 years and isn't bad either) But retirement is horrible here. You retire at 54% after 25 years and are vested in 5 years. Average of your top three highest years or actually, I think it's your last 12 quarters...same thing really.

Any state you go to, you'll have a hard time bypassing the academy. I'm not saying you're trying to do that, just keeping it real. Without any real prior law enforcement experience, the state's are going to be very leary of you testing out.

I wish you luck...lots of jobs here but pay is on the lower end. Upper 20's, lower 30's to start statewide.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                            Well Spartanburg, you have to be a Police Officer and a Firefighter and Greer, is not that big of a department. I would look at either Beaufort County Sheriff, Myrtle Beach. But again, the starting pay for most agencies in SC is very low and rent is not that cheap.
                            Actually, as I understand it, Spartanburg Public Safety did away with the dual-role police/firefighter thing...So now cops are just cops and firefighters are just firefighters.

Comment

Originally posted by GvegasDeputy View Post
                              Actually, as I understand it, Spartanburg Public Safety did away with the dual-role police/firefighter thing...So now cops are just cops and firefighters are just firefighters.
                              Ahh..cool. I wasn't sure. I know Surfside Beach is Public Safety but police are police and fire is fire. In North Myrtle Beach its not quite that way. You have a primary but work the other. Fire works police a little and police fight all fires and work in the firehouse one month a year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4490 users online. 245 members and 4245 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X