300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a new officer in S.C.

I am a FT licensed Patrol Officer currently in Minnesota. I am curious as to how the general process works for becoming an officer in S.C. Please give me ANY hints, or recommendations! I am looking at moving to S.C. sometime in the near future.
    Thanks in Advance- Erick

Myrtle Beach is hiring again. Pretty much if you apply with a larger agency, you'll be paid in the academy, if the state requires you to go. (Most agencies, even small ones pay but I've heard other wise). It depends on your training and how much time you've had with your previous agency. I'm against officers just challenging the test...(I transfered from another state) and can say that, as with anywhere, you need a good grasp of the laws when working the road, especially here.

There is a 3 week legals only portion. Any specific questions, just ask.

Comment

Sccja

As a former academy basic instructor, you need to follow these steps.
      1. Get hired with an agency (they will pay you while you attend the academy)
      2. You will go to the 4 week special basic, this is for certified officers from out of state.

The South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy web site is: http://www.sccja.org/

Hope this helps you.

Comment

I'm guessing the extra week is for driving/firearms? We handle that in-house and have only seen ours go for 3 weeks. In fact, recently the Academy has been allowing all of ours to challenge the test. I was a transfer several years back, after having 8 years and a full time academy again and they made me attend the full academy (glad I did). After that it seemed that the state was being more lenient in that.

Comment

Originally posted by JetTroop
          Myrtle Beach is hiring again. Pretty much if you apply with a larger agency, you'll be paid in the academy, if the state requires you to go. (Most agencies, even small ones pay but I've heard other wise).
          Does this also go for the highway patrol?

Comment

The Highway Patrol academy is at SCCJA but run by HP. They use some of the facilities like driving, firearms and FATS...but they have their own classrooms and most of their own instructors. You don't interact with them except in the evening hours when everyone is released...and then still...you don't interact that much with them.

As for laterals, I know in state, they are running a 9 week lateral academy in March. It's the 9 weeks of HP stuff, accident reconstruction, etc. The first 9 weeks is taken care of with the basic laws, etc...that everyone already has. I'm not sure if they are accepting out of state laterals on that or not. You would need to contact a HP recruiter for more information.

Good luck!

http://www.schp.org/employment.asp

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4541 users online. 309 members and 4232 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X