300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schp

Well Ive looked at the website for SCHP but it really didnt help too much. Does anyone have any information about the Highway Patrol in SC? It seems that in NC the Highway Patrol is constantly hiring and looking for people, but I never hear that about SC Highway Patrol, wonder why that is? Because they arent hiring or dont need troopers as badly? I doubt thats it, so I guess the only other reason is money problems. Has anyone applied with them and how did it go?

Schp

The South Carolina Highway Patrol goes on hiring spells. In fact just last year in 2005 was their first academy of graduates in like over 3 years. I don't think they will be hiring anytime soon, but keep checking the website because that might change soon.
    Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

Comment

I would take my chances with NCSHP or even VA State Police before SC. I dont know for sure but Ive HEARD the starting pay in SC is upper 20s, (correct me if Im wrong). It couldnt hurt to call a recruiter. He should be able to answer your questions. I know there was someone on here a few months ago who said they were going to go to the review board on SCHP. After that they never posted again...

I think the reason for lack of constant hiring is money problems. They need troopers, just cant afford to hold the academy.
      John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

They never hire because they have no turnover. Most troopers I talk to (and thats alot) either love it or hate it. Even the ones that hate it rarely leave though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andersondeputy
          They never hire because they have no turnover. Most troopers I talk to (and thats alot) either love it or hate it. Even the ones that hate it rarely leave though.

I cant recall the last time I talked to a trooper in NC that didnt love their job. Yet still NC hires constantly.
          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

schp

i believe the schp is hiring now pretty heavy. i attended the last academy but things didnt work out for me. i resubmitted, and hope to go back in jan. for the next class. they lose alot of trainees during the academy. but the ones who graduate and get on the road never seem to quit.

Comment

You are already trying to resubmit after you washed out the first day and were "sitting at home drinking a beer"?

I thought you made it perfectly clear you had no desire to work for the SCHP because you didn't want to go through recruit school.

Comment

Originally posted by stunter
                i believe the schp is hiring now pretty heavy. i attended the last academy but things didnt work out for me. i resubmitted, and hope to go back in jan. for the next class. they lose alot of trainees during the academy. but the ones who graduate and get on the road never seem to quit.
                Yeah how cruel of you to waste their time after you bashed them in here stating you didn't want to be yelled at, etc...good luck..although I wouldn't bet on getting re-hired!
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Can you post the details of the application process? What did you not like about the academy that made you want to quit?

Comment

Its in his previous posts.

He didn't like the fact that they yelled at him and made him do pushups. He said something along the lines of if he wanted to join the army he would have joined the army not the Highway Patrol.

Comment

SCHP is a great org. They are hiring like crazy right now starting pay is around 29000. The gov cut back spending when he came on board but right now the HP is trying to man up all across the state.
                      Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

Well I appreciate everyones information on this subject. I know the next step is actually picking up the phone and talking to a recruiter. I was hoping there would be SC trooper on here but I guess theres not...oh well.

Thanks again.

Comment

Wow!

Don't bother, you already wasted one spot for a deserving cadet. Take my word for it, if you quit within 10hrs of the first day of the academy, you'll quit REAL fast on the side of the road when it's time to take care of business. If you couldn't take those big scary troopers yellin at you in a controlled enviroment, you definately ain't gonna like some big scary drunk yellin at you on a 10 foot shoulder with traffic flyin by.

Stick with HVAC it's a very good trade.

Good luck in the process Jeff!!
                          Last edited by Troop2256; 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Well just so everyone knows I did contact a recruiter yesterday...by email. He has yet to contact me back. I will definitely keep everyone up to date. If I dont get a reply by the end of the week, Ill just call a recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell
                              Well just so everyone knows I did contact a recruiter yesterday...by email. He has yet to contact me back. I will definitely keep everyone up to date. If I dont get a reply by the end of the week, Ill just call a recruiter.

Well did you ever hear anything back?

How come people dont post anything about the SCHP? The NC forum is filled with interest on the NCSHP, why not the same here about the SCHP? Id like to hear from someone about this agency if you can.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5755 users online. 372 members and 5383 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X