300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle Beach

Anyone have any info about this department? Specifically, how big they are (in officers) and what their physical agility test is like. I saw the SCCJA's agility and it doesn't look too difficult, but I'm not sure if the individual departments would have harder tests or an equal one.

Any help is appreciated, TIA.

i think their webpage says about 150 officers, check it out. they may answer more of your questions.

Comment

Excellent P.D.! I have alot of friends with MBPD and they really enjoy it. They are very aggressive and proactive. If your looking to work in SC then this would be the place. Around 150 sworn is a good estimate and if your in shape the PT portion won't be a problem. Hope it works out for you.
      State Trooper, South Carolina Highway Patrol and proud of it buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by andy black
        Excellent P.D.! I have alot of friends with MBPD and they really enjoy it. They are very aggressive and proactive. If your looking to work in SC then this would be the place. Around 150 sworn is a good estimate and if your in shape the PT portion won't be a problem. Hope it works out for you.
        Is it the obstacle course?

Comment

We have 200 officers now, starting salary out of the academy is $29,900 with full medical paid for you (no out of pocket - doesn't include family), full uniforms, equipment, boots, etc (no socks or under shirts), VERY generous tuition reimbursement program. Etc. Have questions, just ask. I'm here to help.

Comment

Originally posted by JetTroop
            We have 200 officers now, starting salary out of the academy is $29,900 with full medical paid for you (no out of pocket - doesn't include family), full uniforms, equipment, boots, etc (no socks or under shirts), VERY generous tuition reimbursement program. Etc. Have questions, just ask. I'm here to help.
            How's the physical agility? I'm taking mine on November 30th and I can't seem to find any information on what it's like, what time I have to complete it in, etc.

Also, any idea how many people they're looking to hire? I don't want to waste my time going down there if there's no jobs, you know?

Lastly, are you a full-time officer there? I looked at some of your other posts and you were mentioning something about being a reserve officer in NC. Not that it matters, just curious.
            Last edited by EMTFirefighter; 11-17-2005, 04:06 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure how many they are hiring this go around. I know we have some other officers leaving before the end of the month. So I don't know if they'll increase the number or start the process, generally they restart the process. When do hire it's generally for 3 to 10 officers at a time and that can be at least on a quarterly basis or more often.

The physical agility I belive is the same you do at the academy. Follow the link, complete with video.

http://www.sccja.org/patinfo.htm

Yes, I'm full time. I was full time in North Carolina, then a reserve officer in NC, then a reserve officer in NC while working full-time in SC. (all in Law Enforcement) Now I'm just a full time SC officer here for Myrtle beach..for good.

Comment

I'm not sure how many they are hiring this go around. I know we have some other officers leaving before the end of the month. So I don't know if they'll increase the number or start the process, generally they restart the process. When do hire it's generally for 3 to 10 officers at a time and that can be at least on a quarterly basis or more often.

The physical agility I belive is the same you do at the academy. Follow the link, complete with video.

http://www.sccja.org/patinfo.htm

Yes, I'm full time. I was full time in North Carolina, then a reserve officer in NC, then a reserve officer in NC while working full-time in SC. (all in Law Enforcement) Now I'm just a full time SC officer here for Myrtle beach..for good.
                Thanks a lot for the info. Of the 14 (I think) people in my written test group, I think only 10 passed both the physical agility and written test - that narrows it down a bit...

I'm just so nervous, this is the farthest I've been along in a hiring process. I know there's a lot more left to go though. I'll talk to you again soon, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                  Thanks a lot for the info. Of the 14 (I think) people in my written test group, I think only 10 passed both the physical agility and written test - that narrows it down a bit...

I'm just so nervous, this is the farthest I've been along in a hiring process. I know there's a lot more left to go though. I'll talk to you again soon, I'm sure.
                  there was only 14 people in your written test for MBPD? that's amazing they can't pull more than 14 applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by gamecockfan
                    there was only 14 people in your written test for MBPD? that's amazing they can't pull more than 14 applicants.
                    According to someone who works there, there were about 100 applicants.

Comment

They test in phases. So not everyone tests at once that is up for the positions. While we do have a nice training facility with multiple classrooms, they dont try to overwhelm themselves. (we have other agency training classes ongoing as well as our own inservice usually daily) Secondly, we are a department of 200 officer, with a staff of 250. We are decent size but not that big. That said, we pre-screen all applicants. We also do not advertise our positions other than via our web site and through our HR department which does have a list of people they notifiy weekly. That part is very well run, but you dont generally see our department and positions on sites like 911HotJobs and the like, even though we have high pay and good benefits.

When you test with us, after you're pre-screened, you also get fingerprinted and will do you physical agility test. That said..have 100's or 1000's at one time slows the process for everyone when you're a smaller department than say New York or Chicago.

Comment

Secondly, we are a department of 200 officer, with a staff of 250.
                        I meant, we have 250 total. Probably a support staff of 50. My fault!

Comment

Mbpd

How is the Basic LE Academy? Long (most are around 26 weeks)?
                          -SrA J Hughes
                          United States Air Force
                          Security Forces Patrolman
                          -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

South Carolina is shorter than most states but what is unique is that its a live in academy at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy. Total, you are there for 9 weeks. Hour wise, it's slightly shorter than North Carolina (total hour wise).

Visit the Academy's web site for a lot of information on the basic law enforcement training. At my agency, you'll attend an 8 to 9 week pre-service academy and then 9 weeks at the live-in, state run academy. When you graduate, you'll be with an FTO in three phases that lasts around 3 months total. It ends up being 7 months or so (if you are not recycled) before you are actually hired, until you work alone. The academy does have a so-so fail rate. They are unique in that they teach (good instruction...figure it's the best in the state instead of a good instructor for one class and a bad one for another at other...all of these instructors at the best in the state) and grade at the academy...all in house. Most places/states don't do that. However, they are VERY, VERY strict. I mean...crazy strict. Tests are very secure, cheating will get you banned for life and you will get caught. The questions are randomly selected for each test for that day. No two previous tests are alike. The test questions are reviewed and easy questions tossed. It's a very interesting system that requires a lot of studying. But with that, you can get some awards that all departments let you wear when you return (I do).

I attended BLET in North Carolina and found the training to be quite good. However, in South Carolina, I thought Legals were excellent, top notch. Defensive tactics were also second to know (that man is freaking unreal...and after 10 years of law enforcement and attending another academy in another state, that's really saying something). North Carolina did do a lot better on Motor Vehicle Law. At any rate, it's not a bad experience or training.

Any other questions, just let me know.

Comment

How forgiving is Myrtle Beach about driving records? Reason I ask is I am a certified officer and have 3 years on the job now but my driving record is terrible. Some departments I have talked to didnt care at all and some acted like it was the end of the world. I am young enough (26) to where a ten year catches the last few years of my teenage/young adult years and at that time I couldnt pull out of my driveway without getting a ticket. Nothing serious, no DUI's or anything. Had a DUS when I was a teenager but nothing other than that of any consequence. I worked for Anderson County (they didnt care) and now I work for MUSC (gave me a little grief but not a whole lot).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4905 users online. 263 members and 4642 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X