Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current info on the SC criminal justice academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current info on the SC criminal justice academy?

I'll be heading there soon and am looking for some current info on everything from daily routines to what the food is like, or anything you feel like disclosing. Mainly smaller stuff you dont read in the curriculum or agenda, how to prepare, or any advice you might have..thanks

I just finished the academy in the last year so if ya have any specific questions PM me. Theres really not much to it though. Just make sure ya spend your time studying and youll be fine. All test questions come from the objectives at the beginning of each chapter.

Comment

Agreed with Copeman,

Study and don't get caught up with any mess outside of the academy; drinking, fighting or any other stupid stuff. I believe now you have to stay at the academy Mon-Fri, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I was there for a class a few weeks ago and they were telling us that basic was going to twelve weeks as soon as they finish building their new complex. Every officer that comes out of the academy will now be certified in DMT and radar/lidar. They are also going to spend more time on practicals (emphasis on traffic stops) and report writing. As far as what to expect...... don't eat the fish. And when they say hamburger surprise, it's a whole lot more surprise than hamburger. Banana pudding will rock your face though.

Comment

yeah its mon-fri until a certain week and then you can go out, but your best bet is just stick out 9 weeks and study if ya really want a career in l.e. you can do your own thing on the weekends.

Comment

Any suggestions on items to bring? box fan, deck of cards, etc?

Comment

my suggestion is go in your first week with whatever you think youll need to be comfortable sleeping...study hard for your first test so you can gauge what you need to do the following weeks and from there you can bring other comfort items, i love to sleep so it was study and sleep for me...

Comment

ohh yeah bring some snacks and drinks, unless ya wanna keep goin to the machines all the time

Comment

I just graduated Jan. 7th 2011. I can't tell you much about the 12 week program, but the 9 week program was not bad at all. The first day, which is a Sunday, it may seem pretty paramilitary. After the first week or so, it's basically like college, but free and you're getting paid to go there. The food isn't bad at all. Breakfast is fantastic, Tue-Fri it's eggs/bacon/breakfast steak/grits/sausage/etc, on Mon. it's cold cereal/muffins. The instructors are mostly cool guys that have worked on the street for a while.

The daily routine changes based off of the phase that you're in. In the 9 week program a class graduates every 3 weeks. A new class will enter the SCCJA every three weeks. Due to this, you are only the 'baby class' for three weeks. During this time you'll be waking up at ~0400 and reporting to the gym for PT. PT consists of 10 minutes of around the gym at your own pace. The time increases to about 20-25min by the end of the three weeks. Just keep a good jog going and you'll be fine. The PT instructor has seemingly unlimited endurance during the entire workout. She'll have you holding situps, pushups, etc. until you're about to fall, then she'll let you down. Be prepared for that.

During the first phase you'll be covering legals from breakfast to dinner, it's long and dry but you'll get through it. Study the objectives and nothing else. Make sure you can explain each objective comfortably and you'll pass each test with a high score. I used this strategy and graduated second in my class with a ~97 average. It's not difficult but be ready to read from dinner to sleep. By the way, you have a room with a roommate(most of the time). There's no 'lights out' time, so you'll have to come to an arrangement with your roommate. Some people get a room to themselves(or will eventually when their roommate quits/recycles) so they make their own times. I have a room to myself for the last three weeks.

On week 4 you'll have shooting/driving. You will no longer wake up early every morning to PT. There is no PT on week 4. There will not be any reading, lectures, or written tests. This week is an awesome break.

Weeks 5 and 6 are PPCT and misc materials. From week 5 up to and including week 8 you'll be waking up early and running on Tue/Thur. This is broken up into three squads, A, B, and C. You place yourself into whatever squad you want. A is the fastest squad, C is the slowest. If you don't like running, go with C squad. C squad will run about three miles at a slow jog. This is a hard week for most to handle due to PPCT and the written tests. Be sure to practice PPCT in the gym after hours to ensure you've got each move down comfortably. The written material is arbitrary and seemingly inapplicable during these weeks, just stick with the learning strategy from before and you'll be fine.

Weeks 7 and 8 are pretty easy. At this point you're the 'senior class', this means you get to eat sooner than the others and you've got more freedom. At this point everybody in the class is very comfortable with the environment and will know how to play the game. A lot of people skip breakfast and sleep in until formation(which is every morning from week 1 to 9). Formation, by the way, is really simple. AT NO POINT IN THE ACADEMY DO THEY YELL AT YOU. This is not the marines, the worst i've seen is somebody will end up doing 20 pushups for a wrinkled uniform. The standards are simple. I would throw a little shoe polish on my boots five minutes before formation. I never ironed my uniform(used the dryer) the entire time. The written material is very similar to the stuff in weeks 5 and 6, useless but required.

Week 9 is practicals. There is no written test in week 9. The only reasons people that are kicked out/recycled in week 9 are safety violations. Don't forget to unload your weapon and you'll be fine.

Overall the SCCJA was a fun experience. The classmates were great, the instructors were helpful, and the environment was comfortable. I know some state academies(and maybe ours in a few months) are supposedly hard core, last 6 months, and require your to drink your own **** to wear the badge. Compared to those the SCCJA is a vacation. Keep that in mind and enjoy it, you're getting paid and the food/board/ammo/gas is free.

Note: I did not organize this prior to typing it and I don't have time to grammar/spell check it. Just got off of a 13 hour shift, it's time for sleep. This job is awesome, good luck.

Comment

Thanks Cholland! I'm heading out there in a few weeks for the last 9 week class ever (just in time!), and the info you gave helps alot. Coming from the military, I'm sure it'll be do-able .

Comment

Originally posted by SC_Lawman View Post
                      I As far as what to expect...... don't eat the fish. And when they say hamburger surprise, it's a whole lot more surprise than hamburger. Banana pudding will rock your face though.
                      Also, when you see Stuffed Chicken Breast with Toothpick on the menu, trust them....there's a toothpick in every chicken breast. Even if you can't see it, it's there. Don't be the one who doubts the description. It will prove a costly error.
                      Did you ever notice that incorrectly is only spelled correctly when it's spelled incorrectly?

Comment

The swedish meatballs are good, at least I thought so. Some of my co-workers disagree, but meh. A pinch of salt and pepper works wonders.
                        SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

So other than the food, any other big pointers? Glad to say this will be my second academy, as SC won't honor my cert from another state. I'm so happy to have a job again I really don't mind though

Comment

Originally posted by hilhil45 View Post
                            So other than the food, any other big pointers? Glad to say this will be my second academy, as SC won't honor my cert from another state. I'm so happy to have a job again I really don't mind though

There are connecting rooms via the bathroom, and that can be a potential problem to you as well if your neighbors forget to take out their trash. Housing will lock BOTH doors going into the rooms, your side and the other guys' side even if you didn't know. I had that happen when the guy in the room next to me forgot to take his trash out. Demerits of course don't apply for civilian students, but I think according to the manual (which they took offline it seems) It's a Class III demerit, lowest category, one point.

So yea, make sure you check not only your guys but the guys next door to you as well unless you want to get locked out of your room while you're away in class!
                            SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Thanks for the detail infomation. I am on the hiring list at the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office, so hopefully I should be there around September of this year, and I understand they extended the course to 12 weeks. My question is are there homework assignments?
                              V/R
                              Cornillus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6272 users online. 345 members and 5927 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X