300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to South Carolina

Hello all. I am moving to SC in July because of wifes new employer. I have eight years of experience as a Deputy Sheriif (police not Corrections) in Maryland and eight years of military experince. Her job is at Williamsburg FCI in Williamsburg County. What are some of the good agencies to apply to in the area? Preferably south of Williamsburg County but North Of Charleston.

Good god. I live in SC and I still had to find out where Williamsburg County is. I gotta be honest, your only decent bet is to work the east end of Charleston County because Charleston County SO is actually a decent agency. No other agencies near you are worth looking at. You COULD try SC Highway Patrol and join the troop that covers that area of the state. That way, you will be in jurisdiction as soon as you leave your house and you won't have a 45min - 60min commute to work.

Comment

Originally posted by vfm208 View Post
      Good god. I live in SC and I still had to find out where Williamsburg County is. I gotta be honest, your only decent bet is to work the east end of Charleston County because Charleston County SO is actually a decent agency. No other agencies near you are worth looking at. You COULD try SC Highway Patrol and join the troop that covers that area of the state. That way, you will be in jurisdiction as soon as you leave your house and you won't have a 45min - 60min commute to work.
      I agree... but with SCHP I would imagine it a whole different mindset going from a SO to HP down here. Cavscout - did you do collision investigation in VA? If not you better be ready for it big time with SCHP down here... not to mention prosecuting your own cases including DUIs in many of the Posts...
      Graduated May 28, 2010 SCHP Basic #88
      Assigned to Lexington County
      Basic 88 appreciates... Motivated Motivated, Dedicated Dedicated, Hardcore Hardcore, Drive on SIR!

Comment

*scratches head*

South of Williamsburg County but north of Charleston....soooo, Berkeley County?

They don't say road like "rue-oh-ad" down there like they do in Williamsburg County do they? Every single time I take a call from someone in Williamsburg County that's what I hear.
        SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Originally posted by SCHP BWL View Post
          ... not to mention prosecuting your own cases including DUIs in many of the Posts...
          SCHP BWL (or any other Trooper),

Can you elaborate on the quote above? I have never heard of this before, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
            SCHP BWL (or any other Trooper),

Can you elaborate on the quote above? I have never heard of this before, thanks.
            I am not a Trooper, but as a municipal officer, our town attorney prosecutes DUIs and we act as witnesses. I believe SCHP BWL is saying that there will be no attorney involved on the state's side and the trooper will have to act as both prosecutor AND witness.

Comment

vfm is correct, the Troopers prosecute their own DUI and other summary court cases, there is no state legal counsel present.
              SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Same thing up here. We have jurisdictions where we prosecute our own cases. Sometimes it is better. lol I checked with Charleston County looked like a nice large agency. Unfortunately, I spoke with a civilian who stated they had no openings and would not be accepting applications. How do they keep a hiring pool? Oh well I'm sure there is a spot there somewhere in SC. lol

Comment

It's been a while since I worked in MD, but remind me where a local LEO would prosecute their own case? That's what the States Attorney is for. Unless something has changed?

There are several agencies around Charleston County you could look at. The pay is not going to be comparible at all to what anyone gets in MD, but it could be a job. Check the smaller agencies or look at those in Berkeley County.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                    It's been a while since I worked in MD, but remind me where a local LEO would prosecute their own case? That's what the States Attorney is for. Unless something has changed?

There are several agencies around Charleston County you could look at. The pay is not going to be comparible at all to what anyone gets in MD, but it could be a job. Check the smaller agencies or look at those in Berkeley County.
                    Criminal cases are prosecuted by the states attorney. Traffic related cases are done by the officer. Calvert County for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavscout1974 View Post
                      Criminal cases are prosecuted by the states attorney. Traffic related cases are done by the officer. Calvert County for one.
                      Again, unless the law has changed, the States Attorney still handles traffic cases. Yes the Officer, deputy, trooper needs to show up in front of the judge and who they wrote they ticket, however they do not prosecute themselves, especially since all citations go to the state in most jurisdictions.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2658 users online. 144 members and 2514 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X