Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep. Todd Rutherford wants you to commit highway robbery?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep. Todd Rutherford wants you to commit highway robbery?

Is this proposal for real?

Motorists driving even 1 mile over the PSL will be slapped with a $150 fine to compensate for the fiscal inadequacies of the state. Of course they want the officers to be the toll collectors.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...udget/#comment

Who is the criminal here, the person who inadvertently drives a few miles over the PSL or the one who intentionally spends more then he can afford, is provided a fully paid healthcare and a wonderful pension while he uses his power to circumvent the laws in order to siphon money from unsuspecting motorists to pay for his lifestyle.

Yes, 1 MPH is in fact speeding but I don't think a $150 fine is justified.

Is South Carolina to become the next Gestapo state?

I don't get your point? There is currently a fine assessed and penalty for going 1 mph above the PSL and I don't see you ranting about that. How many LEOs do you know that actually would write someone a ticket for that speed anyway? The point behind this bill is to make the fine larger but not have it reported to the DMV and be attached to your driving record. That is a tradeoff that a lot of motorists would take so their insurance doesn't go up. Does it have an ulterior motive of making more money for the state? Sure it does, but it's no where near a police state.

Comment

In my experience, defendants are happy to plead guilty to an offense that will give them a higher fine but have no points attached to it. They are primarily worried about their insurance premiums going up. Happens all the time in my jurisdiction. So, in essence, the state is actually giving defendants (and prosecuting officers) a different, and perhaps more attractive, alternative to the standard speeding ticket.

Also, way to try and sensationalize this by comparing SC to the Gestapo. Ridiculous.

Comment

I write you for 1 mph over, do you want an $81.88 fine with points or a $150 fine for no points, your choice…?

But as you were probably doing 11 to 15 over and I was being nice and dropping it down, maybe I’ll just let it stay at your real speed for $133.75, now doesn’t it seem like a deal the State Representative is trying to get for you.
        Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Sorry about the Gestapo comment, I admit a bit over the edge.

Now I'm not talking about the A-hole in a BMW who races down I-95 weaving in and out of traffic and is hit with a $150 fine.

I am talking about the unwed mother trying to make a living and get to work on time after taking care of her kid who was sick all night drove 1MPH over the PSL and was cited for this simple infraction, hurt nobody but will have to pay a heafty fine with money that was supposed to be for groceries.

Yeah, I bet the public are just overjoyed with this one.

I have a co-worker who in fact did get a ticket for going 2 MPH over the PSL in SC so it DOES happen. No other infractions, just a ticket for going 2 MPH over in fact the officer did a U turn in order to pull him over... the middle vehicle in a line of cars traveling on the same road.

What if they decide on $300? $500, how about $1500? all while using this money to increase their pensions and benefits for state employees?

I can't believe nobody sees a problem with this.
          Last edited by Lazy; 04-18-2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

We can already write you for 1 mph over, how is this going to change things except giving YOU the choice if you want to pay more and not get points? Do you not like having the choice, then just pay the normal fine for 1 – 10 mph over of $88.
            Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy View Post

What if they decide on $300? $500, how about $1500? all while using this money to increase their pensions and benefits for state employees?

State has not given a pay raise at all for the last three years at least and has furloughed officers multiple times already, they have laid off many new officers, oh there’s a bill to cut the pension for police officers in the legislature so * you!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy View Post

Now I'm not talking about the A-hole in a BMW who races down I-95 weaving in and out of traffic and is hit with a $150 fine.

I am talking about the unwed mother trying to make a living and get to work on time after taking care of her kid who was sick all night drove 1MPH over the PSL and was cited for this simple infraction, hurt nobody but will have to pay a heafty fine with money that was supposed to be for groceries.

Yeah, I bet the public are just overjoyed with this one.

I have a co-worker who in fact did get a ticket for going 2 MPH over the PSL in SC so it DOES happen. No other infractions, just a ticket for going 2 MPH over in fact the officer did a U turn in order to pull him over... the middle vehicle in a line of cars traveling on the same road.

Slow your roll friend. I haven't had a pay increase in years, that includes nothing for cost of living. Our department, like numerous others in the state, had the bottom drop out of the our budget, so they can't afford to even give us merit increases at out yearly evals. My benefits haven't gotten any better either (I pay way more for my health insurance now), and I assure you, the state legislature is looking at ways to cut into our retirement system (which, in case you were unaware, we pay into from our own money). So don't act like joe citizen is the only one hurting in this economy. Was money mismanaged by government on all levels? Yes it was. Has our government turned into an over bloated fire breathing dragon from where there is no escape? Yes it has. But don't act like we write tickets because it helps us out.

----Rant Over

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6611 users online. 361 members and 6250 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X