Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Probation/Parole

Hello,

I was looking for any up to date info on the SC Probation/Parole department. I see on there web site that they are Cat 1 peace officers. Just wanted to know about caseload, work schedules, equipment, cars, etc... Also, how are they perceived by other law enforcement in SC? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

P&P Agents go to the state police academy like every other police officer in SC for a 12 week basic law enforcement C1 class. Agents work mostly M-F / 8 or 10 hour shifts, they are issued glock 22 .40’s, they do not get take home vehicles and are short cars and sometimes have to use their own.

SCPPPS is an agency in transition and is barely functioning, from a high of 600 Agents they are now according to a friend is a Supervisor with P&P, in the high 200’s, caseloads are 200+ with very little field supervision. Quite a few of the Agent In Charge in the various counties have left in the last year.

The Governor wants to place P&P into and under the Department of Corrections, but there is a Bill in the General Assembly to create a State Police agency with P&P, Highway Patrol, SLED, Transportation Police, and DNR. If that passes it would be a very good thing for P&P, if they go into DOC it would be a very bad thing…
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Don't do it, brother! They get treated like red-headed step-children. Magic Matt is right on the money. With budget cuts and furloughs already taking place, and more expected in the future, P&P agents are getting the big wiener. Their loss is our gain, though. We just hired one of the bailing rats and look forward to hiring more in the near future.

Comment

Good info. So would it be a good postition to take to get to SC and then look for something else? When would this bill pass or fail in the general assembly that determines if there would be a state agency created with P&P in it or if P&P would go into corrections? Thanks again for the reply's. If you don't want to post it out here you can PM me.

Comment

As a last resort I would consider working for them if you needed to get certified. But then you are pretty much stuck for two years (unless the law has changed - last I knew if you were hired by another agency within first year after certification, hiring agency must reimburse your prior agency 100% of training/cert. expenses, drops to 50% after year one until end of year two, then drops to 0% after two years). Some agencies balk at having to pay that money, so they only hire officers that are past the two year mark.

Comment

If you are willing to put two years into it…

We have one state pension system so you would not be losing anything by going with P&P.

I would rather go with a University PD for the same or slightly more money, or one of the larger city PD’s for even more money. The city of Charleston is taking applications, but also check out North Charleston, Columbia, Mouth Pleasant, Charleston SO, Richland SO, Beaufort SO.
            Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Any word or update on the bill to place P&P under corrections or the state DPS?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS73 View Post
                Any word or update on the bill to place P&P under corrections or the state DPS?
                SC is like molasses, we are still in the 19th century after all, when I hear something I’ll update.

Comment

Cool. Thanks. So do you work for P&P or have you?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS73 View Post
                    Cool. Thanks. So do you work for P&P or have you?
                    I work for another agency....

Comment

I was looking into the SC Probation/Parole Dept. I see the pay is very low. Are there pay increases? I work for the State of Ohio Parole and it is a significant difference in pay, however would love to live down in the South. Any friendly info any of you could pass along would be great.

Comment

does anyone have any info about vacancies ?

Comment

agency.governmentjobs.com/sc/default.cfm

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3213 users online. 165 members and 3048 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X