Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will attempt to accurately answer some of the questions asked in previous posts and dispell some of the myths / inaccuracies indicated in others.

The Rhode Island State Police does not accept lateral transfers. Everyone must attend and complete the Rhode Island State Police Training Academy. This is approximately six months long, para-military style academy. There are two PT sessions a day, five days a week. You reside at the academy from 9PM on Sunday night until about 6PM on Friday afternoon. I don't mean to stir anything up with the following comment, but, the agency prides itself with having the most difficult police academy in the country. Take this comment or leave it, but it is a really tough academy.

The agency is hiring 35 applicants during the recruitment. Why this number? Because they need the bodies, and that is a maximum number of recruits that can reside at the academy during a session. It is a small facility.

The Rhode Island State Police is at the most rigid end of being a para-military organization. That does not end when one graduates the academy. Sworn members take great pride in their agency, its reputation and its traditions. It is often referred to more as a lifestyle than a job.

The Rhode Island State Police is a full service, statewide law enforcement agency. It is not, nor has it ever been a Highway Patrol. Where some people get this confused is that the RISP has primary jurisdicition on limited access Interstate roadways. That is why you see Troopers on the highways, which is where they are most visible. They are also everywhere else in the state, investigating all matters of criminal activity everyday. Troopers also have primary jurisdiction on all state owned property (state house, courts, prison/ACI, etc.). Example, if someone assaults a deputy sheriff at the court house, the RI Sheriffs Department does arrest that person. That person is detained until the State Police arrives, investigates, arrests and then charges the suspect. Depending on what barracks a Trooper is assigned to, the ratio of motor vehicle enforcement to investigation changes a bit. Work in Hope Valley and you are handling sexual assaults, B&E's, domestics, everything. I am not talking about taking an initial report and then kicking it to a Detective like most other agencies. Road Troopers handle all their own cases start to finish. We are just talking about the Road Dogs here. I am not going to get into all the specialized investigative units, of which there is alot, doing alot of high speed stuff.

As an aside, and it response to NickgRI, the only state police agency in New England that is limited in their jurisdiction is the New Hampshire State Police. They have no primary jurisdiction in any city or town with a population of greater than 3,000. All the other state police agencies have no juridictional limitations, and by name and legislative intent not just highway patrols. Highway Patrols are mostly a southern, mid-western, western thing in states that have strong sheriff agencies that handle the small towns and unincorporated areas.

As far as the uniform goes, it is pretty much the same as it was in 1925 when the agency was founded. The garrison cap was replaced with a Stetson campaign style cover, and the cross draw revolver holster with laynard with a strong side semi-auto holster. That's it folks. Again, getting back to the culture of the department, they love their proud traditions. The uniform is a great example this.

I hope you find this informative. Good luck to all those who may have applied.

Comment

Originally posted by PatriotGuard View Post
      As an aside, and it response to NickgRI, the only state police agency in New England that is limited in their jurisdiction is the New Hampshire State Police. They have no primary jurisdiction in any city or town with a population of greater than 3,000. .

Good post. I work for Worcester and am familiar with RISP. What PG said is true. Very paramilitary (in your face at the test) and like that throughout the academy. A lot of pride in the troopers and squared away.

Not to nitpick, but the NHSP thing (rule of 3,000) is a little gray. In cities/towns with populations of 3,000+, yes the NHSP can't just go and set up shop and start investigations. However they will help upon request and can do whatever they have authority to do if they witness a violation/crime.

Charlie mike...
      surly?? screw you....

Comment

Originally posted by Sword View Post
        Highway Patrol? Please do me a favor and tell them that at the test. I would love to see them smoke you for that

To be honest their duties as troopers changes by the barracks they are in.

Lincoln barracks does handle most highway stuff but they also go anywhere into providence/Woonsocket if they want to.

The barracks down in south county deal with highway and do some local police work since Exeter doesn't have a police department

That is just the road troopers as well.. never mind the detective division that handles major crimes throughout the state and the cyber crime division that handles a lot of the child predator crime
        Does their detective division handle Providence or does ProvPD get a pass as it's a large agency?

Comment

Originally posted by NickgRI View Post
          Pretty angry there TGD arent we? Beef with the mall people as well? They kick you out for being too loud at the food court or somthing? Anyhow, for a person that gets that angry on a message board I dont think LE needs you.

Lol, what I am stating is that most LE in RI is squared away!!!! You seem very negative towards LE is RI. If so, we do are best to weed people like you out, an realistically, we don't need anyone like you!!! If that claifies it!!!
          I am not angry, just sick of morons like you thinking that policiing in RI is like working at the wall. No, I am not angry I just take pride in my work!!! Unlike you, I am LE and if You are its is ashame you made it through the process!!! Now, you can go back to Roger William college and be cool!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Airlinerd View Post
            Does their detective division handle Providence or does ProvPD get a pass as it's a large agency?
            This is a great question which requires a slightly detailed response. The Providence PD is a squared away, full service agency that handles a high volume of calls for service everyday, not unlike any other metropolitan police department in this country. In the past the RISP and Providence PD, as a whole, did not enjoy a true collaboration of efforts. Although mutual respect on the whole had never been a real issue except on a personal level. This has changed significantly within the past few years. Recently, there has been the implementation of NRT (Neighborhood Response Teams) comprised of both Troopers and PPD Officers working together in a collaborative effort to reduce both violent and street crimes. This has only increased the mutual respect, and has combined the talents of very aggressive Troopers / Officers working towards the common goal of getting the bad guys off the streets. Also, there are Providence Detectives assigned to the HIDTA task force with Troopers, State Police Cyber Crimes Unit, FBI JTTF, etc.

Detectives in Providence handle the bulk of their own investigations. But if someone comes to the State Police first, instead of Providence, the State Police investigates. If there maybe a jurisdictional issue, both agencies may work a case in a collaborative effort. What it comes down to is RI is a small state with a lot of good cops, and we all try to work together to accomplish the same mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
              Good post. I work for Worcester and am familiar with RISP. What PG said is true. Very paramilitary (in your face at the test) and like that throughout the academy. A lot of pride in the troopers and squared away.

Not to nitpick, but the NHSP thing (rule of 3,000) is a little gray. In cities/towns with populations of 3,000+, yes the NHSP can't just go and set up shop and start investigations. However they will help upon request and can do whatever they have authority to do if they witness a violation/crime.

Charlie mike...
              This is correct, if a NH Trooper witnesses a crime / violation he/she has full authority to act and investigate in a city or town of greather that 3,000, or if a crime originate in another jurisdiction and their investigation takes them into city or town of greater than 3,000. Also, they can investigate any crime upon request of a local authority or by order of the governor. I apologize if my previous entry was too vague.

Comment

Thanks PatriotGuard, final question to you and all of the LEO's; which has the tougher academy RISP or MI(Mississippi)SP?

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                  Almost every state agency thinks they run the "toughest academy", show up in top physical condition and mentally tough...you will walk across that stage at graduation.

It's funny...the guys from NJ think NJSP is the hardest...guys from PA think PSP is the hardest...don't even get me started on CHP...those guys really believe they are the best...who knows...they might be.

If you are in awesome shape it will take a ton of stress and attention off you.

Very good point...... I have a cousin in NJSP who thinks their academy is the toughest in the country hah. Either way I understand RISP's reputation and traditions but was merely pointing out other options. Different strokes for different folks, no hard feelings TGD.

Comment

Never personal

Originally posted by NickgRI View Post
                    Very good point...... Different strokes for different folks, no hard feelings TGD.
                    No hard feelings just personal opinions!!!

Comment

Does anyone know if they will be hiring again soon? I understand the current class will bump the ranks to the full 220 required, but I heard there's another 25 to 30 that are eligible to retire in 2010. Any thoughts?

Comment

rumor is that they may have a new test later on this year or next. RISP are squared away but the state of RI is an odd animal.

Comment

I read the budget for 2010 and the 54th is scheduled for March 2011 so I'd expect testing to begin this Spring.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12437 users online. 467 members and 11970 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X