Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woonsocket PD and Providence PD testing advice an info on these departments.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woonsocket PD and Providence PD testing advice an info on these departments.

Hi, I just applied to Woonsocket and Providence. I am really looking forward to testing. It will be my second test in the state (scored 82 on the first). I hear that Woonsocket is a great department and that they are down quite a few officers. I am 41 but in great shape and doing quite a bit of prep. I have a few exam guides and see there is tons of math on it. Not that big a deal math isn't an issue for me. I would have thought there would have been more logic and reasoning in the test guides. I am thinking of contacting the departments and asking for a more definitive guide to study. Is that nuts or a good idea? Also, are ride along's a good idea or should I say do most cops mind a rider from a perspective person looking for a position with the department. I work municipal rescue and have students and riders all the time but that is something different I would assume. Thanks for any and all advice.

Yes do a ride along. Get a feel for the day to day job. Don't bother with the call for a better study guide, the written test isn't anything you can study for. It is high school material, the practice material out there should be good enough. But if you feel like giving them a call would be helpful go for it. I think they want this academy on the street for June or July 2016...so I would guess the written test will be in sept or October. So long as you get on before u turn 43 u should be good. Mandatory retirement is at 63 so you will be able to get your 20 in. I would recommend the fire department however, seeing as how everyone hates the police these days.

Comment

The only thing I would say about Woonsocket is they are literally tittering on the edge of bankruptcy. At some point they are going to have to address it and with that comes massive pension overhaul changes like the ones the State employees just received.

As far as the Department? Great guys and gals and a good area to work in that is busy.

Something to consider.

Comment

Thanks guys, that's what I herd. I have 9 years in the state pension so my age is not such a concern for me. About the testing material. I am pretty sure I have been studying the wrong thing. I know it can't hurt because it was nice to be studying something again. A precursor for the academy I guess. I have herd it's general logic test which is I figure will not be terribly difficult to score well. We'll see the test is Sat morning. Thanks for the responses sorry for the late response. I have been going nuts getting in ship shape for the academy. I have it in my mind set that this is my job to lose. Plus they are taking 5. Thanks again for taking the time.

Comment

You must be talking about the Woonsocket written test because I haven't heard anything about the providence test yet. Also, providemce has its own pension so I would guess those 9 years are with Woonsocket or at least a state agency so your time can go with you. But providence isn't with the state so that pension is separate and you would be starting over. Hopefully Woonsocket works out for you. I think the fire department would be a better choice, just for the record.

Comment

I have a few friends in Prov. I would have to turn my earnings into another finacial vehicle, not a huge deal. Took woonsocket test this morning, went well. I will be at the agility in 2 weeks Im sure. Tjanks for the heads but I snever wamted to be a firefighter amd the work is pretty far from that of LE. Don't want to wear the navy because its popular. Good looking out.

Comment

Well good for you. Hopefully Woonsocket goes well and make sure you take the providence test. The processes will no doubt overlap. Good luck on the physical. People always lose it on the sit ups or the mile and a half run. So just make sure that you can do more sit ups in the minute than is required. They are sticklers about form usually so they may not count a few. And make sure you wear a watch on the run and run your own race. Don't pace off people with you. Law enforcement is fun sometimes. Used to be more fun. But they way things are going, people just don't understand reality and everything we do is wrong. Believe me it is frustrating and makes not want to work. The more proactive work you do the greater the likelihood of getting into something and they seem to want to jam up guys for anything. Only reason why I would recommend firefighter. People love firefighters. And it is accepted that they can sleep on duty. Awesome.

Comment

I hear ya. I work rescue now in Cumberland. Always wanted to be in LE now I think I found a department that when I picture it I am already working there. Sure the city is a little rough but there is plenty of work and I do believe people are generally tired of *** hats ruining there city. Plus I haven't found an ill word said about the men and women who work there. I just took the written and waiting for a letter to take the agility; I am sure I passed it. Thanks for the advice, I have been running a lot I have my mile and half down to 11:26 with a 1 mile time of 7:23. I can do 44 push ups in 33 seconds and the sit ups are a bitch but I think I will be able to do more than needed. January academy if I make so if I keep the workout schedule I hope to be in ship shape. My other worry is about the academics but I have started to become proactive with that as well. I have the history of the city and the department on lock down for the oral and a few cop buddies helping me out getting my thought in order. I don't know everything but I am going to try to limit the things I don't. Still waiting for the providence email with the date and time for the exam. I received one email stating it was soon but still waiting. Have a ood one bud and as always, good looking out.

Comment

The Woonsocket written examination is a basic reading comprehension and math exam. The PT exam is conducted at the high school on Cass Ave and the run at Dion Track. Woonsocket is a overworked, underpaid understaffed department. The department is at 86 officers and should be over 100. They can never retain officers. They are having another exam in March, due to a lack of qualified applicants. They tend to hire younger applicants for some reason. Woonsocket is one of the few departments in RI that is not yet accredited, so you can still get hired at 18 yoa and without a degree. If you were bypassed last time, step your game up as you have a fairly good shot this time around.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10565 users online. 442 members and 10123 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X