300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RI departments

What are some good RI departments to get on with? How hard is it to get a job in RI? Is it as bad as CT and MA?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

I guess theres not many RI peeps on here

Comment

From experience, getting a job in RI is very difficult. I have taken a few tests down there in the past and there were well over 300 applicants for as few as one slot. Thats per department. I can only imagine how many applicants bigger departments like Providence and the SP get. RI does not have the poly which is a plus (not saying that its a bad thing but one less hurdle to get over). They tend to be very political and the more education you have the better. Smithfield will only take you if you has a Bachelors. Good luck.

Comment

I've thought about relocating to RI, but getting a job is VERY difficult. You will find a lot of New Englnders leave the area to get into LE. I think most New England cops hang out at a site called MASSCOPS or something like that. You might try that and see what you can find.

Comment

I think that getting on in RI is easier than MA. There is no civil service in RI, so you are trying out for the department directly, and you end up having a far better chance getting on in RI than MA.

As for the number of applicants, it isn't that bad of a chance. Last time Providence had testing for an academy there were 1300+ applicants. Looking for 25 positions. But it is still better than dealing with the MA civil service, and atleast some RI departments are hiring, albeit in small numbers.

I think CT has similar processes as RI, so that would be a good state to look into as well.

But in terms of just RI, I know that several depts have offered tests recently, Providence, Pawtucket, RISP, and several others. So I don't think that they will be looking anytime in the immediate future, maybe another year or so. RISP just graduated an academy and Providence is going to starting an academy, and I know Pawtucket was planning on putting several through to the RI Municipal academy early this year.

Hope this helped.

Comment

^ Remember RI only has 39 cities and towns. Hiring is random at best and they usually only take 1-5 at a time. Providence pays you minimum wage in the academy and you are not guaranteed a job when you graduate. I was told that they take the top 10% of the class that graduates the rest fend for themselves. 25 officers for a city is a very small academy class. I remember when they used to hire every year. Now its slowed down to almost nothing.

Larger departments like providence, pawtucket, woonsocket, warwick, cranston/johnston, RISP will be more likely to hire more applicants but with the economy and the bad shape the RI economy is in. It may be awhile before they hire again.

MA is far larger with over 300 cities and towns. If your a veteran this plays to your advantage but with the lay offs that are coming its going to be tough to break in.

Masscops does have an RI forum but not that many members on that site from RI though.

Comment

Well unfortunately, what everyone is saying is true, it is hard to get a job in RI. However, its not impossible.
              As far as what departments are "good", thats a matter of opinion. What kind of officer are you or want to be? Do you want an urban environment, rural, suburban? Quality of departments is tough, too. I certainly don't want to go bashing departments, lets face it...every department is going to have its idiots.
              Campuscop made a few really good points, but I'd like to adjust one thing. Yes, Providence does pay minimum wage during the 6mo. academy, but you do have health benefits, and how many officers are taken on depends on what the need is. Some classes get taken on all at once. They try to estimate what the needs will be be with retirement, pending status changes, and other adjustments (like the cap #of sworn officers). Plus you never know how many will actually graduate and make it through FTO. Out of 1300 initial applicants, only a few hundred actually take any tests and many are eliminated there. If you are a qualified candidate, don't hesitate to apply.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Getting a job in RI is diffucult however as far as choosing a particular department I would suggest not putting all your eggs in one basket. Try out for one and all and hope for the best.Some chiefs aren't fond of lateral transfers but they happen. Most rural departments make their new recruits complete a certain amount of time and sign some type of agreement before they can transfer to a larger department later on. Good luck and don't give up. People do get hired and one of them just might be you!!
                Good judgment comes from experience.
                Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Speaking from experience, I know a kid who got hired by a RI pd (larger city) that recently had a recruitment. They were looking to hire about 5. There were people with all types of experience there, one kid was a usmc officer, another was a reserve in MA, another full time cop, a few kids with degrees etc. They ended up hiring a kid who BARELY passed the PAT and sent him to the academy because he is the son of a retired po. The kid is 20 or barely 21 years old.

Its just crap like that makes you wonder sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by campuscop2000 View Post
                    Speaking from experience, I know a kid who got hired by a RI pd (larger city) that recently had a recruitment. They were looking to hire about 5. There were people with all types of experience there, one kid was a usmc officer, another was a reserve in MA, another full time cop, a few kids with degrees etc. They ended up hiring a kid who BARELY passed the PAT and sent him to the academy because he is the son of a retired po. The kid is 20 or barely 21 years old.

Its just crap like that makes you wonder sometimes.
                    It's not what you know but who you know I guess huh

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9598 users online. 339 members and 9259 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X