300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RI PDs Info??

I'm a Master at Arms (Military Police) in the Navy stationed in RI and I plan on staying here once I get out. I'm interested in the Warwick and Pawtucket PDs primarily since on their websites they show they have a SWAT Team and Vice Squad (Pawtucket) and I would eventually like to get involved in something like that.

Are there any other departments in the area that offer the same? Anything on Aquidneck Island? State Police?

Also out of curiousity what about take homes?

Any help would be great and I thank you in advance.

Alot of departments in RI if not all, have some type of swat team and vice/special squad. There are 39 cities and towns in the state and as far as I know there is no regional swat team (Like in massachusetts). Also, the SP just had a recruitment drive and they hire once in a blue moon. From top to bottom they only have 200 officers (that includes command staff). Very selective agency to get on.

Pawtucket and Warwick had a recruitment drive last january so, they wont be hiring until next year 2010 at the earliest.

Comment

Also, the only agency with a take home is the SP.

Providence special squads and command staff get a take home but thats it. This is not FL..lol

Comment

Originally posted by campuscop2000 View Post
        Also, the only agency with a take home is the SP.

Providence special squads and command staff get a take home but thats it. This is not FL..lol
        Thanks for your reply. Lol yeah I'm originally from FL so I'm used to seeing that. Thats good to hear though about SWAT and Vice teams. I also ment to ask about issued weapons. I was talking to one our reservists who's a cop in CT and he was saying alot of their departments allow you to carry a duty gun of your choice as long you qualify with it. Do any departments in RI do the same?

Comment

Woonsocket, RI Police, also have a SWAT team and VICE squad. WPD is probably the 4th or 5th busiest PD in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by VSP_Troop View Post
            Woonsocket, RI Police, also have a SWAT team and VICE squad. WPD is probably the 4th or 5th busiest PD in the state.
            Woonsocket is a small,poor city..a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine_Infantry View Post
              Woonsocket is a small,poor city..a dump.

Which makes for a good place to be a cop.. If you want to work. Also, they have no restrictions on where the officers live. So you can live where ever you choose, even in MA.

Comment

Fairly sure Providence allows officer to carry their choice - had a chat with an officer one day when the President of Cape Verde was visiting and he was carrying a Kimber. It might be a stretch, but I'm gonna guess the PPD doesn't have the resources to issue Kimbers to their officers.

Comment

Rhode Island State Police have 218 all together, and yeah they just did the whole recruitment. I took the test on August 23rd, oh was that an experience.
                  sigpic

"Hail Hail State Police, king of the road can follow me, nothing in this world is free, a Troopers life was made for me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5liO4zFVuI

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I have another question. As I mentioned I'm originally from FL another orginization I've thought about is DEM. In FL our version of DEM the Fish and Wildlife Commision (FWC) actually does quite abit amount of work. There is a big problem with poaching and the FWC has actually stood up a SWAT like unit to handle extreme cases in poaching and other activities. Is it similar in RI? My department here in Newport... on base is made up of mostly DoD Police with some Military, but the DoD Police particularly the upper chain seems to look down on the DEM Police as "clam cops". We've had some cases that DEM has been involved in in regards to poaching on government property and this has been the attitude I have seen from my department. Is this something that is felt throughout RI LE? Does DEM not have actual work here?

Comment

Great job if you can get it... meaning that your uncle would probably have to be the Govermor of the State. Basically they are "clam cops" as you stated.
                      Good judgment comes from experience.
                      Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by thefiftyfive View Post
                        Great job if you can get it... meaning that your uncle would probably have to be the Govermor of the State. Basically they are "clam cops" as you stated.
                        Completely incorrect. Please educate yourself before posting incorrect information.

DirtSailor: If you want some accurate information, PM me.

Comment

FWC is far larger then the DEM. Mass EVP is larger then the DEM and they dont touch nearly as much stuff as the FWC of FL.

Woonsocket just had a recruitment drive, its a ***** hole town, and I wouldnt live there if they paid me 100k a year. That city brings urban decay to a new level. Pawtucket is right behind Woonsocket. Most larger departments in RI have vice, swat, SRO, detectives, internal affairs. The ones that i know that have a swat team off hand are: cranston/woonsocket/warwick/providence/pawtucket

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9219 users online. 329 members and 8890 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X