300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy Sheriff Training

I have seen on several PA Sheriff websites that you must attend your ACT II course within a certain time of getting hired. I saw one that said within 16 months of getting hired.

So can you still work as at deputy sheriff without being certified? Are you in uniform and armed or are you in civvies working in an office till you go to training?

I think that depends on the individual sheriff.

Comment

Originally posted by PaRoadDawg View Post
      I think that depends on the individual sheriff.
      That makes sense.

Does anyone know how it works for Montco or Bucks?

Comment

I believe they require act 120 and send their Deputies to the waver add on portion.

Comment

Sheriffs are not act 120. They have their own academy.
          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
            Sheriffs are not act 120. They have their own academy.
            Actually some counties require Act 120 for their deputies because they have patrol responsibilities. I know Allegheny and Washington counties in western PA do.
            "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Comment

Even the ones who don't require 120 because they want the same training. If you are 120 then there is a 2 week waiver course for deputies. Trust me its fact. But some still do send to act 2 training.

My problem is they are wasting taxpayers money becasue act 2 is a live in academy where act 120 is not. Act 2 Cost more so they should all be 120 and just go to waiver cousre pluse all that tax money would be saved from running act 2.

Comment

When Bucks has posted for Deputy Sheriff, the posting doesn't say you need to have your Act 120. When I called HR though, she said you need some kind of certification, she wasn't sure what it was though. I am assuming she meant 120. Maybe it is an unwritten rule.

Montco doesn't post jobs for deputy sheriff, you can send an application anytime. I was told by HR they don't require Act 120.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan75 View Post
                  When Bucks has posted for Deputy Sheriff, the posting doesn't say you need to have your Act 120. When I called HR though, she said you need some kind of certification, she wasn't sure what it was though. I am assuming she meant 120. Maybe it is an unwritten rule.

Montco doesn't post jobs for deputy sheriff, you can send an application anytime. I was told by HR they don't require Act 120.
                  Correct but I had a friend who was a Montco Deputy, he said they send a guy to 120 training to recruit. But thats not to say they won't hire you if you put yourself in Act 2

Comment

I applied to both. Bucks wont actively state you need a 120 up front but they do require it. Montco will send through the full deputy academy but prefers to hire 120 guys.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by timtim View Post
                      Correct but I had a friend who was a Montco Deputy, he said they send a guy to 120 training to recruit. But thats not to say they won't hire you if you put yourself in Act 2
                      I don't think you can put yourself through ACT II.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                        I applied to both. Bucks wont actively state you need a 120 up front but they do require it.
                        That's the impression I got. I wonder why they just don't say you need Act 120, other departments do?

Comment

The way I see it, get a appointment as a Constable/Deputy Constable. You make the right friends theres more money in it. Plus the same benis Off duty carry under H.R. 218. and what not.

The only problem is no Health Retirement plan so you need to make a lot of money to substitute.

Comment

If I remember, you need to be a resident of the district court in which your a constable/deputy constable. Id probably stay away from being a constable since there is virtually little to no oversight and their training is required to be paid for by each deputy. If your gonna shell out money then Id go for 120 on your own.

If your a vet, why not apply to the VA hospital police? They are hiring and the pay is quite comparable to what most of the departments are paying for in the area.
                            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                              If I remember, you need to be a resident of the district court in which your a constable/deputy constable. Id probably stay away from being a constable since there is virtually little to no oversight and their training is required to be paid for by each deputy. If your gonna shell out money then Id go for 120 on your own.

If your a vet, why not apply to the VA hospital police? They are hiring and the pay is quite comparable to what most of the departments are paying for in the area.
                              Everytown is allowed at least 1 Constable, you can work anywhere in the State and the State pays for training if your elected or appointed. Hey your your own boss, if you get work.

I personally would only work at one VA Hospital.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6555 users online. 359 members and 6196 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X