300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Bill 466

What's your take on the house bill 466? And why is PSP and FOP fighting this? Deputy Sheriffs are only trying to take back what they previously had? No one is trying to take over anyones job. Just trying to back you up. Whats the problem?

PA should be like every other state that has sheriff offices or departments and give the deputies full police powers. All the states that have sheriffs (except Hawaii) have state police forces & municipal departments. For the PSP or FOP to argue against this is nonsense.

What is the status of the bill anyway?

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82076

Comment

I read the other board too... I think the whole idea is CRAZY.. D/S's need to have the full power as LEO's do. PSP can't find time to pee in a pot due to thier staffing (1 or 2 troopers riding together at night time).. Calls holding for hours on end cuz PSP is tied up on a fatal on I-80... It's NUTS!!! Give these guys/gals what they need and law enforcement can move forward.

I think that if PSP had thier way, all locals would be gone too... and it would just be PSP land.. They run everything, so why the heck not?? lol

BE SAFE....play hard
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

[QUOTE=dannmann1050;1347762]I read the other board too... I think the whole idea is CRAZY.. D/S's need to have the full power as LEO's do. PSP can't find time to pee in a pot due to thier staffing (1 or 2 troopers riding together at night time).. Calls holding for hours on end cuz PSP is tied up on a fatal on I-80... It's NUTS!!! Give these guys/gals what they need and law enforcement can move forward.

I think that if PSP had thier way, all locals would be gone too... and it would just be PSP land.. They run everything, so why the heck not?? lol

BE SAFE....play hard[/QUOTE

Sounds like you had bad experiences dealing with PSP.

Comment

Rayhill,

Can you tell me what it is like to be a deputy in PA. I was looking at doing it in Bucks or Montco, and would like to hear about the day-to-day, how your treated, training, etc.

Thanks!

Comment

The reason behind it is because the PSP and FOP look at it as being job actions against there members. Such as when the PSP came in and went to work on the expressway and 95 in the city. IT was a job action that caused a loss to Philly pd. The FOP when to court and won the right to have x units back on the highway.

Montco seems to be alot more LE oriented than Bucks.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

The training is basically the same. The only difference is the civil side of it. I am also Act 120 qualified. PA is the most screwed up place I have ever lived. Unfortunately with the mortgage crisis and the fact that other states wont recognize "part time", I am pretty much screwed for moving. My question is, would the PSP and FOP Administrators who are fighting this bill care who was backing them up if they were in trouble? NO, I doubt that by saving their asses so they go home alive they wouldnt mind. So why wouldnt you want another law enforcement organization out there helping to fight the crimes. Ego's I guess.

Comment

Also like I said before, its not like we are trying to take anything away from anyone, just trying to do our jobs too. Lord knows we have enough work to do at the courthouse and transports, but for our afternoon and midnight crews it would really help. Especially on calls that takes PSP over an hour to respond to out in the country areas. After all, we are the only ones in the county with K-9's but we cant do drug arrests. Whats up with that?

Comment

I Think Its The Wording

Originally posted by rayhill1028 View Post
                    What's your take on the house bill 466? And why is PSP and FOP fighting this? Deputy Sheriffs are only trying to take back what they previously had? No one is trying to take over anyones job. Just trying to back you up. Whats the problem?
                    I just took a look at the proposed legislation and something caught my eye. The legislation is broadly worded to give deputies the same "duties and responsibilities" of municipal police officers. It would be one thing if it gave them the same "peace officer authority". But giving them the same "duties and responsibilities" suggests that it has created an overlapping jurisdiction for crimes committed in areas that were once the sole province of the municipal police. This creates confusion as to who has jurisdiction to handle crimes; who is responsible when the crime rate rises, and who gets funding for law enforcement services to a given location.

No doubt this is being opposed by PDs and the SP because it is seen as a grab for power and money by sheriff's departments that could reduce the budgets of local agencies, cost them jobs and threaten their political clout.

In California, ever peace officer has authority anywhere in the state. However, the law also spells out what they "primary mission" is. If you start spending too much time or resources doing enforcement that is outside your "primary mission" (i.e., if you start doing more than providing backup in another agency's turf, or if you come across something and fail to turn it over) you usually wind up being fired for misuse of department funds, time or resources.

It appears that this proposed change is so vaguely worded that it will create a free for all for money and power within the law enforcement community. My guess is that's why it is being opposed. Change the wording to eliminate any confusion as to overlaping jurisdiction and just keep it at peace officer powers, and I bet few people in the law enforcement community will oppose it.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I don't see the problem, the LA County Sheriff has the same duties and responsibilities as municipal officers in CA, with more duties actually.

There really is not an excuse for this other than the PSP or FOP are worried about job taken.

A couple weeks ago I was coming onto 95 from Newtown and saw an accident. The Bucks County Deputy Sheriff (I imagine he came upon the scene, not called to it) was there with his lights on just standing there, I am assuming he was waiting for Lower Makefield PD to show up. There is no reason that a deputy shouldn't be able to handle that accident. Where I grew up the Sheriffs Department was the police, and handled everything.
                      Last edited by Spartan75; 07-27-2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

No.. I didn't have a bad experience with PSP.. but just watching them as an organization (not each Trooper)..They act like the God's..and the rest of LEO's are just dirt. But then again.. Alot of State orgainzation's think of themselves as the best of the best, and everyone is just "not up to par"
                        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

I'm not being smart, but a serious question: if the DS's want to do what a cop does, then why didn't they go the acadmey to get their act 120 or apply to the state police? Didn't they know the job description when they made the choice to go to the academy to be a DS? Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just honestly am trying to understand where they are coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by eEb1129 View Post
                            I'm not being smart, but a serious question: if the DS's want to do what a cop does, then why didn't they go the acadmey to get their act 120 or apply to the state police? Didn't they know the job description when they made the choice to go to the academy to be a DS? Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just honestly am trying to understand where they are coming from.
                            They are coming from the fact that in every other state Deputy Sheriffs have full police powers.

If A DS from Illinois comes to PA and wants to work for a PD, he could get Act 120 certified without going to an academy, while a PA DS would not have that luxury if he moved out of state.

Doesn't it seem stupid that a PA DS can't handle a traffic accident when one in NJ can. If a woman came running to a DS saying somebody stole her purse, all he could tell her is to call the cops.

SEPTA cops, college cops, DRPA cops, park rangers, housing police all have full police powers in PA, it seems kind of stupid that a PA deputy sheriff doesn't.
                            Last edited by Spartan75; 07-27-2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
                              No.. I didn't have a bad experience with PSP.. but just watching them as an organization (not each Trooper)..They act like the God's..and the rest of LEO's are just dirt. But then again.. Alot of State orgainzation's think of themselves as the best of the best, and everyone is just "not up to par"

LOL......your 100% right....Can I get an AMEN on that...lol...
                              " Never judge others unless you truly know them"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5495 users online. 300 members and 5195 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X