Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? about Act 120 and Act II training

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ? about Act 120 and Act II training

    If you become Act II certified as a deputy sheriff in PA, and you later want to become a police officer, do you need to do the whole Act 120 course or can you take a shorter version?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Off the top of my head I don't think d/s training equates to Act120. Check out MPOETC.

    Comment


    • #3
      The act II training is equal to the act 120 but the state has not approved them to be the same training.
      Right now there is a bill in the state house to make them the same but for now you have to do the whole act 120 to work for a police dept.
      but if you are act 120 and want to work for a sheriff's office you only need to be sent by the sheriff of your county to a 3 week course up at Penn State.

      Comment


      • #4
        thats because deputy sheriffs arent considered peace officers in PA by a screw up in legislature......WTF?

        Comment


        • #5
          As a Sheriff's deputy, from New York, I find it amazing that the state of Pennsylvania does not recognize its sheriffs as police officers. Sheriffs were the first police officers to exist, in PA and every state, except Alaska!

          I see, from news reports, that the PA state police are against giving them back their police status. Gee, what a surprise . . . if the NY state police had their way, we would loose our status so they could take over.

          I'm with you PA sheriffs! Stay with the cause! You are the peoples law enforcement officer! Best of luck to you!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rpd86 View Post
            As a Sheriff's deputy, from New York, I find it amazing that the state of Pennsylvania does not recognize its sheriffs as police officers. Sheriffs were the first police officers to exist, in PA and every state, except Alaska!

            I see, from news reports, that the PA state police are against giving them back their police status. Gee, what a surprise . . . if the NY state police had their way, we would loose our status so they could take over.

            I'm with you PA sheriffs! Stay with the cause! You are the peoples law enforcement officer! Best of luck to you!
            Actually, I don't think PSP is against them being police officers (although I could be wrong). I do remember hearing that the state police wouldnt allow them certain types of training because they were not considered Peace Officers and as such could get in trouble themselves for giving unauthorized personell police training.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mcnichcf View Post
              Actually, I don't think PSP is against them being police officers (although I could be wrong). I do remember hearing that the state police wouldnt allow them certain types of training because they were not considered Peace Officers and as such could get in trouble themselves for giving unauthorized personell police training.
              I was reading local press releases, on the internet, and it stated that the PSP's troopers association does not want sheriffs having police officer status.
              Last edited by rpd86; 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hell, PSP argues against municipal LEO's being able to run radar!
                Steve

                Comment


                • #9
                  Steve, That's not accurate. The last two times that bills to allow municipal officers the ability to use radar was introduced both the PSP brass and the president of the PSTA testified for passage of the legislation.
                  When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One of the issues is that the PSP and some municipal departments are afraid of losing contracts with towns that don’t have police forces that they now police.

                    PA should be like most of the country and have their sheriffs be regular cops with full police powers.

                    Here is a new website about this subject:

                    http://www.supportpasheriffs.org/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by panzertank1 View Post
                      One of the issues is that the PSP and some municipal departments are afraid of losing contracts with towns that don’t have police forces that they now police.

                      PA should be like most of the country and have their sheriffs be regular cops with full police powers.

                      Here is a new website about this subject:

                      http://www.supportpasheriffs.org/
                      Interesting, I didnt know the sheriff's didnt have Statutory Authority. The way I read it, they are not covered under LEOSA, which sucks and they cannot be in FOP either, which also sucks.
                      Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Have you ever just stopped one day and said "What the hell do I live in this state for?"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PABear31 View Post
                          Steve, That's not accurate. The last two times that bills to allow municipal officers the ability to use radar was introduced both the PSP brass and the president of the PSTA testified for passage of the legislation.

                          Hey PABear31, is it true that your troopers association is against sheriffs from having police powers? If so, why?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            From what I remember deputy sheriff's in Allegheny County are required to be Act 120 certified and I believe there was a PA Supreme Court decision a few years ago that stated because they were they have full police powers. At least that is somewhat of what I remember. Otherwise, Pennsylvania is a very backward state in how law enforcement works.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rpd86 View Post
                              Hey PABear31, is it true that your troopers association is against sheriffs from having police powers? If so, why?
                              I am not PaBear, but IMHO and many others it is about jobs. In many states, the sheriff departments contracts out police services to many towns and cities that have no or limited police forces. The biggest is LA County Sheriffs Department, which has 3 million people living in its contract areas.

                              In this state, like in NJ, the state police does that job in most places. Can't blame the SP fighting for jobs, but I still think it is backwards when you look at sheriff departments in most states.
                              Last edited by panzertank1; 03-12-2008, 11:26 PM.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4714 users online. 321 members and 4393 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X