Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone take the PSP written this weekend?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcnichcf
    replied
    Originally posted by EPD703 View Post
    Ok folks, I have taken the liberty of assessing the qualities that make you a good police officer candidate and have devised a complicated test for those who wish to participate.

The test will have ten statements that you will answer. Don't try to out-think the test because I will catch you! The answer choices are as follows:

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Not Sure
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

1) I like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla ice cream
    2) When gas prices go up I sometimes feel like smoking a joint and riding my bike to work
    3) Ice is cold
    4) My dad is stronger than yours
    5) Metallica is better than Wu-Tang Clan
    6) Green is a nicer color than yellow
    7) I always eat breakfast before lunch
    8) It's not wise to eat yellow snow
    9) Wylie Coyote will eventually catch the Road-runner
    10) Scoring subjective answers to statements is retarded

Good Luck!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I needed this. Work sux. I think you have a completely valid point and but I also agree that the testing in general is not fair. Its just the price you have to pay to get the job you want. You want to be a cop, you go through the BS, and hopefully, if the planets align, you were born under the right star, and jesus, allah, and lord vishnu all write to the police chief you get on the job...otherwise you can test again next year.

Leave a comment:

• EPD703
    replied
    #10 should be "Strongly Agree"

I really didn't care how anyone answered the others!

Leave a comment:

• peter d
    replied
    Ok folks, I have taken the liberty of assessing the qualities that make you a good police officer candidate and have devised a complicated test for those who wish to participate.

The test will have ten statements that you will answer. Don't try to out-think the test because I will catch you! The answer choices are as follows:

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Not Sure
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

2) When gas prices go up I sometimes feel like smoking a joint and riding my bike to work
    3) Ice is cold

Good Luck!
    Bud, I'm with you, and I applaud your feelings about the 2nd half of the written. The only good news about it is that one individual is in the same boat as another as far as answering that portion. Nobody has an advantage. The logic behind the responses is that somebody (with not much to do) conducts statistics and finds a correlation between the characteristics of a "good" officer, and his/her responses to those subjective questions. Then you're awarded more points when you answer the question the way a proven "good" officer answers it. By the way I'm ready for your exam.

1) agree
    2) strongly disagree
    3) strongly agree
    4) not sure
    5) stongly agree
    6) not sure
    7) disagree (I sometimes skip breakfast)
    8) strongly agree
    9) not sure
    10) not sure.

Let me know how I do. Thanks for the test.

Leave a comment:

• EPD703
    replied

Strongly Agree
    Agree
    Not Sure
    Disagree
    Strongly Disagree

3) Ice is cold

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• GMC34
    replied
    I think that is very reasonable, and I agree. Its not fair but really is any other part of the civil service testing process completely fair? For example the physical isn’t scored its just pass or fail, so lets say you are a little bad at math but a stud. How many times will you not have a calculator and have to divide 346.29 by 78.32 in comparison to how many times your going to have to chase someone. Is it fair military vets get 10 points, no not really when you consider they are the only group given consideration, education experience none of that matters. The system isn’t fair and it has flaws, but it shouldn’t stop you from trying. Also are you sure that the opinion portion is factored into your score because I thought it wasn’t, im not really worried about it just for some reason I thought I heard or read it wasn’t. I agree with you but I dont think there is any reason for them to change it from their stand point, so a few good ones get by but they get what they need apparently. Do you happen to work for the city, if so will you send me a pm I have a few questions. Thanks

Best,
    Greg

Leave a comment:

• tua
    replied
    By the way, I am not a psychologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
    HA!

Leave a comment:

• EPD703
    replied
    Apples and Oranges. If I rushed through the test and chose the answers I chose, I didn't hesitate with my responses. How does the statement "I enjoy working alone than working with a group" going to affect my decision making abilities? If I read the statement and answered "I disagree" in 0.27 seconds, am I less likely to shoot an armed actor in a confrontation versus the guy/gal who answered "I strongly disagree" in 0.23 seconds? NO. By the way, I am not a psychologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Leave a comment:

• mcnichcf
    replied
    dont get me wrong, i see what you are getting at but from my very limited experience it doesnt test your opinion per se but how strongly you feel about a situation. As a LEO you will be forced to make split second decisions and if you have a history of wavering in your thoughts you may hesitate to shoot a subject pointing a gun or you might hesitate to stop someone for any number of reasons.

Leave a comment:

• EPD703
    replied
    I didn't take the PSP test. I have a full-time job (where a normal civil service test was offered). Don't get me wrong, PSP is a good job and I'm not knocking their organization, just the written test they choose to adminster to their candidates. I've taken others like it in the past, and no, I didn't do well well on the second half. Last one I scored a 68% on the second half, however, I had a 94% on the first half. My point is that who should be able to say that my opinon, or anyone elses, to posed statements, can be scored as right or wrong.

Test Statement: "I enjoy working alone better than working with a group"

Your answer: "I strongly disagree"

My answer: "I disagree"

Who is more right? How is that determined? If I am more right than you does that mean that your opinion is worth less than mine? That is basically what this test is saying. If that's the case then maybe they should just have a giant bucket of straws sitting on a table when you come in and everyone can grab one and the longest straw to the shortest determines your place in the standings.

MMPI II Statement: "Evil spirits possess me at times"

I answer (hypothetically of course): "True"

How is that scored? I am not wrong. It' s my opinion. The pyschologist could ascertain that I have serious issues and therefore that answer should help determine my suitability for the position, and it would! The point here is that this statement and the others on the test you took should only be used as a tool to assess your mental well-being, or lack thereof, before giving you a job. These statements are designed to give a licensed psychologist a "taste" of who you are as a person. When you let someone give your opinions a score and compare them to other candidates' opinions to determine an eligibility list, it's unfair.

Does my opinion on the matter sound unreasonable to you?
    Last edited by EPD703; 10-05-2007, 10:34 AM. Reason: Grammar

Leave a comment:

• GEM415
    replied
    That test they administer for PSP is ridiculous. I have taken the same or similar test for other agencies and am totally against it. I don't know how anyone can score you right or wrong based on your subjective feelings toward statements you read. The second portion of that test should be eliminated and replaced with more problem solving math, spelling, reading comprehension, and grammar questions.

A written examination should be designed to see where you as the test taker stand in the general knowledge category. It should only ask fact based questions that have clear cut right or wrong answers. This test basically implies that your feelings are wrong compared to.........(there's the part I would like to know).

There is a stage in every hiring process to determine your mental suitability for the position. It's called a psychological examination that is pass/fail. You write a test called an MMPI II with 567 statements on it that you answer based on your feelings. It is pass/fail. You are not provided with a score for this. This test is basically adding that to the scored written portion.......how it is scored is beyond me or my imagination. The funny part is that if this was set up like the rest of them there is a section asking you for your demographic information. I would hope that this isn't factored into the scroing, however, since you are never provided with where you went wrong you can never be sure of that. I refuse to fill out that section on any test I take or application I submit because it is voluntary. I would hope that most would not fill it out either and hopefully it will slowly go away. There should be no reason to have that information thrown into the hiring process anywhere or included on any application or test. May the best man/woman win!

Just my two cents on that issue!
    IF you pass the written portion of the test and do well on other tests you will eventually have to take the psych. test. You don't sound like you did very well.

Leave a comment:

• EPD703
    replied
    That test they administer for PSP is ridiculous. I have taken the same or similar test for other agencies and am totally against it. I don't know how anyone can score you right or wrong based on your subjective feelings toward statements you read. The second portion of that test should be eliminated and replaced with more problem solving math, spelling, reading comprehension, and grammar questions.

A written examination should be designed to see where you as the test taker stand in the general knowledge category. It should only ask fact based questions that have clear cut right or wrong answers. This test basically implies that your feelings are wrong compared to.........(there's the part I would like to know).

There is a stage in every hiring process to determine your mental suitability for the position. It's called a psychological examination that is pass/fail. You write a test called an MMPI II with 567 statements on it that you answer based on your feelings. It is pass/fail. You are not provided with a score for this. This test is basically adding that to the scored written portion.......how it is scored is beyond me or my imagination. The funny part is that if this was set up like the rest of them there is a section asking you for your demographic information. I would hope that this isn't factored into the scroing, however, since you are never provided with where you went wrong you can never be sure of that. I refuse to fill out that section on any test I take or application I submit because it is voluntary. I would hope that most would not fill it out either and hopefully it will slowly go away. There should be no reason to have that information thrown into the hiring process anywhere or included on any application or test. May the best man/woman win!

Just my two cents on that issue!

Leave a comment:

• John2008
    replied
    Originally posted by mcnichcf View Post
    no. i took the test before and you get them at about the time they tell you. its just a long process. they tested something like 2000 people that weekend for a possible 400 slots (approx.). it takes a while to scan and organize that sort of operation. If it didnt take time, it wouldnt be worth doing.
    true true, *waits patiently*

Leave a comment:

• mcnichcf
    replied
    no. i took the test before and you get them at about the time they tell you. its just a long process. they tested something like 2000 people that weekend for a possible 400 slots (approx.). it takes a while to scan and organize that sort of operation. If it didnt take time, it wouldnt be worth doing.

Leave a comment:

• John2008
    replied
    Originally posted by mcnichcf View Post
    nothing yet. from what i've heard it is a LENGTHY process. if they said a week or two expect two or more and wait it out. Otherwise you will go bat sh*t.
    I'm already are, as long as it isn't like over here in NY where it takes 6months just to get your score

Leave a comment:

• mcnichcf
    replied
    nothing yet. from what i've heard it is a LENGTHY process. if they said a week or two expect two or more and wait it out. Otherwise you will go bat sh*t.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3818 users online. 239 members and 3579 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X