300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Act 120 and Railroad Police?

I seem to remember that certain colleges, universities, hospitals, and county park police do not require Act 120 training. Do railroad police require act 120?

I’m assuming this is less than full certification,……what’s missing?

Comment

Yes, they require Act 120.

Title 22§ 3303. Powers and duties.

(a) General powers.--Railroad and street railway policemen shall severally possess and exercise all the powers of a police officer in the City of Philadelphia, in and upon, and in the immediate and adjacent vicinity of, the property of the corporate authority or elsewhere within this Commonwealth while engaged in the discharge of their duties in pursuit of railroad, street railway or transportation system business.

(b) Detention of arrested persons.--The keepers of jails and other places of detention in any county of this Commonwealth shall receive all persons arrested by railroad or street railway policemen for purposes of detention until they are dealt with according to law.

(c) Badge.--Railroad and street railway policemen when on duty shall wear or carry a metallic shield containing the words "railroad police" or "railway police" and the name of the authority.

(d) Course of instruction.--Every railroad and street railway police officer shall successfully complete the same course of instruction required for municipal police officers by the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L.359, No.120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by Forester87 View Post
        I seem to remember that certain colleges, universities, hospitals, and county park police do not require Act 120 training. Do railroad police require act 120?
        There's only 2 County Park Police agencies , Delaware and Westmoreland counties. I am assuming you mean county park rangers who with the exception of Bucks County are limited authority to enforce the law.

Generally speaking Act 501 agencies (private patrolman status) are generally limited to enforcing summary offenses and calling the local police for anything more. Even more so, lots of these departments are requiring police academy training and certification as part of their hiring process.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• Forester87
          Forester87 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I meant county park rangers. I believe that both Chester and York have LE rangers. I did not know the extent of their authority. I suppose that it makes sense that it would be limited. I did know that the private police at hospitals and universities had limited authority. I believe that places such as Lincoln University only require Act 235 (two weeks is hardly enough time to train full LE).

I knew about the park police in Delaware County. If I'm not mistaken, they're responsible for all county buildings and property.

Thanks for the answer regarding railroad police. I've been researching railroad police recently, and from what I can tell their commission is generally granted by the state in which the officer is based; however their authority extends to railroad properties across the US under federal law.

• orlandofed5-0
          orlandofed5-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Carbon, Chester, Lancaster, Lebanon and York are the only counties which arm and give authority to enforce summary offenses to their park rangers.

Lincoln University is a state aligned university (like Pitt and Temple) and requires it's officers to have Act 120. State system of higher education police just got moved or are about to get moved into MPOETC.

The authority of railroad police to have an extended jurisdiction deals with federal law and the ability for the railroad to have an officer who may not work in the state to be able to have reciprocation.

Delaware and Westmoreland county park police both handle law enforcement on county properties.

Yes, Railroad Police have to be ACT 120 certified in Pennsylvania if you live in, or are based out of the State. I am ACT 120 certified and live in Pennsylvania, however am based out of Wilmington, DE, and cover DE, PA and MD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3923 users online. 210 members and 3713 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X