300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh PD

Someone tell me about this department/city please!

PM me any questions you have and I will fill you in.

Comment

Starting pay in the mid to high $30,000 range, no longevity anymore, 2 weeks vacation, 10 personal days, no sick days, top pay around $52,000
      MUST LIVE IN CITY. OR else...
      City is ok, some decent areas left but it is getting pricey. NOT California pricey.
      Work 5-8 hr shifts, non rotating, pick shifts once a year, stuck on night turn Tues-WEds for a few years. Busy night can mean running from a gun call to a gang fight to a domestic with knife to a car chase.
      SLow night might be gun run to a domestic to a bar fight to a shooting to a well you get the idea.

Pros- Good action, decent training, great guys, probably easy to get hired now
      Cons- CITY RESIDENCY, low morale but getting slightly better, must live in the city , low pay compared to suburban departments
      PM me for any other stuff I mighta missed
      I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by e-man View Post
        Starting pay in the mid to high $30,000 range, no longevity anymore, 2 weeks vacation, 10 personal days, no sick days, top pay around $52,000
        MUST LIVE IN CITY. OR else...
        City is ok, some decent areas left but it is getting pricey. NOT California pricey.
        Work 5-8 hr shifts, non rotating, pick shifts once a year, stuck on night turn Tues-WEds for a few years. Busy night can mean running from a gun call to a gang fight to a domestic with knife to a car chase.
        SLow night might be gun run to a domestic to a bar fight to a shooting to a well you get the idea.

Pros- Good action, decent training, great guys, probably easy to get hired now
        Cons- CITY RESIDENCY, low morale but getting slightly better, must live in the city , low pay compared to suburban departments
        PM me for any other stuff I mighta missed
        Pretty accurate except for it being easy to get hired. There are a lot of steps to go through and I'd estimate we lost about 95% of the applicants. I was told that roughly 700 people showed up for the written in December and just heard last week we're down to about 30 recruits for my upcoming class.

And I, for one, like the residency requirement. It makes you take ownership of the area where you work and in my experience, officers are more involved when they can't drive to their homes an hour away at the end of the day. Just my .02.

Then again, I was born and raised in the City of Pittsburgh, so I may have a slight bias.
        Fatty Matty
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fatty Matty View Post
          Pretty accurate except for it being easy to get hired. There are a lot of steps to go through and I'd estimate we lost about 95% of the applicants. I was told that roughly 700 people showed up for the written in December and just heard last week we're down to about 30 recruits for my upcoming class.

And I, for one, like the residency requirement. It makes you take ownership of the area where you work and in my experience, officers are more involved when they can't drive to their homes an hour away at the end of the day. Just my .02.

Then again, I was born and raised in the City of Pittsburgh, so I may have a slight bias.
          Iam not going to get too involved in the residency argument now as I gotta get ready for my shift, IN THE SUBURBS BUT,
          residency in PITTSBURGH is not great. The city is just like any other city,
          convienent to court, theaters, good restaurants, HOCKEY, Pirates , Stillers,
          stuff in general BUT the schools are bad, real bad. The job in teh Burgh is good, nice place to get experience and once you have kids your mindset MIGHT change. Might not. Iam not born and bred so I had no ties. Pittsburgh has the HIGHEST percentage of hand me down housing, second highest % of seniors outside of New York SOuth {Florida}
          Ooops, time to get ready.
          Good luck Matty and Connor
          I got nothing for now

Comment

To each his/her own. We could debate the pros and cons forever, but I'll warn you in advance. I'm stubborn.

I like the action that the city job offers. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky, I guess (as many officers are). The part of the city I live in is one that I have lived in my entire life (save my college time spent in Cleveland). As a matter of fact, I bought my house from my parents when they moved out of the city. So I may resemble that hand-me-down housing reference ever so slightly. And I agree that the schooling may be an issue someday, but my sons are in kindergarten and pre-school right now, so I have time to get it straightened out. Worst-case (or best-case) scenario is that they will attend a private HS.
            Fatty Matty
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fatty Matty View Post
              To each his/her own. We could debate the pros and cons forever, but I'll warn you in advance. I'm stubborn.

I like the action that the city job offers. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky, I guess (as many officers are). The part of the city I live in is one that I have lived in my entire life (save my college time spent in Cleveland). As a matter of fact, I bought my house from my parents when they moved out of the city. So I may resemble that hand-me-down housing reference ever so slightly. And I agree that the schooling may be an issue someday, but my sons are in kindergarten and pre-school right now, so I have time to get it straightened out. Worst-case (or best-case) scenario is that they will attend a private HS.
              We can argue and yeah we agree to disagree. I worked with guys, life ling city dwellers that thought Pgh. was the best thing since sliced Mancini's bread for Primanti's sammitches.
              Iam from a big, no HUGE east coast city so I do like Burgh but its not perfect. No place is. I live in a great quiet safe townhome community with awesome schools. For 135K I got a 3 bed. 2.5 bath, fireplace, end unit etc.
              The argument can be had for any city vs. burbs living.
              New York City vs. Long Island, LA vs. Orange or Riverside Cty?
              Good luck in the job, I had a great time and miss all my old peeps. At the station AND in the projects
              I got nothing for now

Comment

We disagree on some things, but not all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with living and working in the 'burbs. For many, that's preferable to the city. And you've done both (I haven't really done either yet), so I respect your opinions. I may want to work in the suburbs in X number of years, too. For now, I have that rookie Pgh Police enthusiasm and love for the City. Continued good luck on the job and maybe someday in the future we can compare notes. After I have some to share, that is. Be safe, e-man.
                Fatty Matty
                sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2588 users online. 172 members and 2416 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X