300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSP ?? question

at PSP do u have to know how swim? and if so what can be done if you cant? and dont say learn... is there a way to avoid it?

Originally posted by mike83 View Post
    at PSP do u have to know how swim? and if so what can be done if you cant? and dont say learn... is there a way to avoid it?
    Nope. Everyone swims...and not just treading water. They make the cadets swim wearing tires around their necks. Enjoy!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by 99TAC View Post
      Nope. Everyone swims...and not just treading water. They make the cadets swim wearing tires around their necks. Enjoy!

I consider myself to be an average swimmer with not much swimming exercise for some time now. What is the best way to practice/prepare for what's to come at the academy? I've been through USMC swimming ventures, but that was quite some time ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mike83 View Post
        Originally posted by peter d View Post
        I consider myself to be an average swimmer with not much swimming exercise for some time now. What is the best way to practice/prepare for what's to come at the academy? I've been through USMC swimming ventures, but that was quite some time ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
        Initially if you can't swim, you will guide yourself while in the water, while holding onto the side of the training tank. I believe you have to be able to "swim" to graduate due to cadets receiving life guard certifications. This might be outdated information, but I doubt it. A considerable amount of time was spent in the training tank. BTW, I never saw anyone "swimming" while I was there, but saw alot getting smoked in the water! Go to the YMCA and swim/sprint from one end to the other until exhaustion.
        Last edited by tp2165; 05-07-2007, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I hated the training tank.

Comment

Last edited by toolegit2quit; 05-09-2007, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolegit2quit View Post
              in the academy now - we do training tank every tuesday at 0515 for 40 minutes. the only way to get better is to work at it. the last thing you want to do is stand out for not being able to perform when you're here. trooper ******* will eat you alive
              What kind of stuff do you do in the training tank? Swim laps? Tread water? That tire thing that someone mentioned above? What do you guys usually do for the 40 mins?
              Last edited by Ytiunegni; 05-10-2007, 12:16 AM. Reason: Name deletion

Comment

in the academy now - we do training tank every tuesday at 0515 for 40 minutes. the only way to get better is to work at it. the last thing you want to do is stand out for not being able to perform when you're here. trooper 5'4" will eat you alive
                Don't use names on an open forum, not cool. Unless you want to give me your name! Do the right thing and edit his name out.
                Last edited by tp2165; 05-09-2007, 10:43 PM. Reason: Observation

Comment

in the academy now - we do training tank every tuesday at 0515 for 40 minutes. the only way to get better is to work at it. the last thing you want to do is stand out for not being able to perform when you're here. trooper ******* will eat you alive
                  I must agree with tp2165.....Up until this point I have kept my mouth shut on this forum and just read all the posted comments. However, when you single out a particular member and post his name on a public forum, it becomes an issue. To quote the academy staff, "If and when you graduate," you will appreciate people not knowing who you are. Added to the fact that you posted at 1915 on a Monday night, which makes me believe you have everything squared away, because if you didn't you wouldn't have time to be surfing the web posting on law enforcement forums. (How shined is your leather, how clean is your weapon, Wednesday is only two days away???) Remember this is a public forum...I would be praying that you can delete this before someone from the Academy or one of us pass the message along that Cadets have time to post comments about Academy staff on the Internet, or your training tank time might increase.

Comment

Times are different from when we went thru. E-mail, web access, they are even allowed to have cellphones up there. Remember trying to get access to one of the three pay phones to make a call once every two weeks?

Comment

I'm posting this on behalf of my brother, who is at the academy. He acknowledges he made an error in posting a name. The spirit of his response was to be helpful and confirm the importance of swim training. He spoke with the Trooper whose name he mentioned (someone had already forwarded this thread to him). I sent a private message to SoldierOfTheLaw and Ytiunegni, requesting they remove the trooper's name. Unfortunately, tp2165 is not enabled for private messaging. Can he please remove reference to the trooper's name? Thank you.
                      Last edited by toolegit2quit; 05-12-2007, 11:43 AM. Reason: .

Comment

toolegit2quit,

Your profile went from being a "cadet" to "bum". It also changed to list you as being a sworn LEO now? Did you move to CA virtually overnight? Why have all your previous 9 posts been edited out?

in the academy now - we do training tank every tuesday at 0515 for 40 minutes
                        You didn't say "my brother" was in the academy, you implied YOU were. "WE" do...

Let your "brother" come on here and post relevant information next time.
                        Last edited by tp2165; 05-09-2007, 11:08 PM. Reason: Fire the Grid

Comment

This is the original poster. I had my brother remove all posts I made on this forum.

I am very excited to be employed by PSP. "When and if" I graduate, I will wear the uniform proudly. My intent was to give helpful advice to a future cadet. I made a mistake by making a direct reference.

In the future, I will be very cautious of the manner in which I post. I have apologized to the individual referenced.

Good luck to everyone and stay safe!
                          Last edited by toolegit2quit; 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM. Reason: .

Comment

toolegit2quit,

Apology not accepted. GO AWAY. If you are a cadet than once again it shows the type personnel they continue to hire.

Comment

I don't think that was quite necessary TP. TooLegit was trying to help by letting potential cadets [me] know what kind of things they do there, so we know what to expect and, if need be, what to practice before we get there.

Should he have used a name on an open forum? Probably not, at least not without the person's permission. Although is it the end of civilization as we know it? Definitely not. Apparently the trooper laughed off the matter and doesn't seem to care. (Which is what I believe probably happened. I'm sure the trooper is a "big boy" and can take care of himself without guardian TP looking out for him.) You seem to be more bothered by it more than the trooper was.

If you're so concerned about names TP, you might want to look into going into a different career field where your name isn't prominently displayed on your uniform for all to see. Just a thought.

And on a side note, I don't really want TooLegit to go. He answered my latest questions about the swimming (in a PM). That's more than some other's can say. I'd definitely welcome TooLegit to post again, although it'd probably be helpful if he left names out of his post, just to avoid any problems that may arise.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3070 users online. 179 members and 2891 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X