300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state applying for Philly PD

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the chances of Philly PD hiring someone who isn’t from Philadelphia or even Pennsylvania? Big department with a lot of applicants sounds like a long shot.

Your odds are as good as anyone from Philly or PA. I can guaran-frickin-tee you that won't be held against you. Philly is a huge department; in the U.S., only NYPD, Chicago PD, and LAPD are bigger. There is constant retirement, officers leaving for other departments, quitting, or getting fired. So, they're always hiring. So yes, they have a huge applicant pool, but they still don't have enough people applying. Philly NEEDS people right now. If you don't have anything to disqualify you and you're in decent shape, you have a good shot.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Comment

does anyone know if the PPD are still doing Polygraph exams? this is the only thing that scares me i dont have anything to hide but just taking the test itself is enough to make me nervous and send off false signals

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
        orlandofed5-0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, they're doing polygraph examinations

• mike_sands
        mike_sands commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you! do you currently work for philly PD?

• GangGreen712
        GangGreen712 commented
        Editing a comment
        Though the polygraph is not a requirement to get hired in PA, most departments use it. However, a significant number of them do not, including PSP, which discontinued it a couple years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly dump it at some point as well, considering how many people they need.

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
      Your odds are as good as anyone from Philly or PA. I can guaran-frickin-tee you that won't be held against you. Philly is a huge department; in the U.S., only NYPD, Chicago PD, and LAPD are bigger. There is constant retirement, officers leaving for other departments, quitting, or getting fired. So, they're always hiring. So yes, they have a huge applicant pool, but they still don't have enough people applying. Philly NEEDS people right now. If you don't have anything to disqualify you and you're in decent shape, you have a good shot.
      I have an arrest charge that was expunged I live in New Jersey and applied to Philly PD too. And am planning a move during the process to philly., Will that affect my chances of getting hired?

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
        orlandofed5-0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Expunged arrests are still viewed as being arrested. Anything over a summary offenses will disqualify you per MPOETC

• Khanraider97
        Khanraider97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Does it show in the system a program I took to get it expunged? Will the program help? And that's pretty much the only serious trouble i'vr gotten in in my whole 22 years alive. And that's saying something. I'm still going to go for the orientation in the fall and see what they say.

Edit just re-read your comment and realized you said a summary of offenses so im good.
        Last edited by Khanraider97; 07-04-2019, 09:17 AM.

Originally posted by Khanraider97 View Post

I have an arrest charge that was expunged I live in New Jersey and applied to Philly PD too. And am planning a move during the process to philly., Will that affect my chances of getting hired?
      It may or may not. An arrest is always going to raise a red flag and will be investigated thoroughly, but it's not necessarily going to disqualify you in and of itself. The circumstances will be taken into account, and also how long it's been since the incident and if you've stayed out of trouble since then.

Now, I don't know about Philly, but some PDs don't require you to disclose expunged records. They will tell you up front in the background packet that you are permitted to withhold that information and, if it's found out, it won't be held against you. However, other places are the opposite, and will require you to disclose expunged and sealed records, and this tends to be more common. I've only seen the former in Massachusetts and Connecticut departments. If PPD doesn't permit you to withhold that info, make sure you disclose it. It may disqualify you, but it certainly will if they discover it and you withheld against against their instructions, even if it wouldn't have been an issue had you disclosed it. Also, it will be the end of any chance of you being a cop anywhere if you're DQ'd for knowingly withholding information.
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

It may or may not. An arrest is always going to raise a red flag and will be investigated thoroughly, but it's not necessarily going to disqualify you in and of itself. The circumstances will be taken into account, and also how long it's been since the incident and if you've stayed out of trouble since then.

Now, I don't know about Philly, but some PDs don't require you to disclose expunged records. They will tell you up front in the background packet that you are permitted to withhold that information and, if it's found out, it won't be held against you. However, other places are the opposite, and will require you to disclose expunged and sealed records, and this tends to be more common. I've only seen the former in Massachusetts and Connecticut departments. If PPD doesn't permit you to withhold that info, make sure you disclose it. It may disqualify you, but it certainly will if they discover it and you withheld against against their instructions, even if it wouldn't have been an issue had you disclosed it. Also, it will be the end of any chance of you being a cop anywhere if you're DQ'd for knowingly withholding information.
        MPOETC requires it as part of the criminal background investigation. Expunged records must be disclosed.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• GangGreen712
          GangGreen712 commented
          Editing a comment
          I figured. Like I said, that's the norm in most places. In MA, most departments tell applicants NOT to disclose expunged records, believe it or not, but that seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Now, I don't know about Philly, but some PDs don't require you to disclose expunged records. They will tell you up front in the background packet that you are permitted to withhold that information and, if it's found out, it won't be held against you. However, other places are the opposite, and will require you to disclose expunged and sealed records

, and this tends to be more common. I've only seen the former in Massachusetts and Connecticut departments. If PPD doesn't permit you to withhold that info, make sure you disclose it. It may disqualify you, but it certainly will if they discover it and you withheld against against their instructions, even if it wouldn't have been an issue had you disclosed it. Also, it will be the end of any chance of you being a cop anywhere if you're DQ'd for knowingly withholding information.
        It was actually 3 months ago lol. I am planning on disclosing the information and being up front with IAB (or whoever does the hiring). It was a misdemeanor though, I was actually suppose to go to jail for 30 days but I didn't want that on my record so they told me about a program that will expunge it. They told me I that it wouldn't show up in a background check but I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Worst they can tell me is no. And there is other opportunities for me in Philly, armed security is something I'm interested in in the meantime.
        Last edited by Khanraider97; 07-04-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
          orlandofed5-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on the charge, you may also not be eligible for your Act 235 card.

• Khanraider97
          Khanraider97 commented
          Editing a comment
          It was criminal mischief, I broke a tv monitor on a plane when I was working for the airport. I didn't mean to break it though, I had personal stuff going on and just punched it once and cracked it. That is the first and hopefully the last time I got put in cuffs.

And I have good references who can confirm that I don't do stuff like that very often.

It was actually 3 months ago lol. I am planning on disclosing the information and being up front with IAB (or whoever does the hiring). It was a misdemeanor though, I was actually suppose to go to jail for 30 days but I didn't want that on my record so they told me about a program that will expunge it. They told me I that it wouldn't show up in a background check but I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Worst they can tell me is no. And there is other opportunities for me in Philly, armed security is something I'm interested in in the meantime.
        I would hold off applying then. Yeah, worst they can tell you is know, but I can almost guarantee they are going to tell you no. You'll end up doing a lot of work for nothing. You're going to have to put a good 5 or so years at least before most departments consider you. Even then, it's likely to be a tough battle.
        -Chris Rock

Comment

I would hold off applying then. Yeah, worst they can tell you is know, but I can almost guarantee they are going to tell you no. You'll end up doing a lot of work for nothing. You're going to have to put a good 5 or so years at least before most departments consider you. Even then, it's likely to be a tough battle.
          Yeah, kind of figured I already put in the application the day it opened though.

I'm still going to move to Philly though. And try to do something like armed security. And continue doing my deliveries. I dont like new Jersey lol simply because of the laws. Like I'm not obsessed with guns but I like them a little bit. So doing armed security might be the best thing to do in the meantime. Idk wether they're going to call me for orientation in the fall than. But if I go over there I'm going to be up front and tell them the truth.

Comment

I got a question. Why does it have to be 5 years and not a year to consider you? A lot can happen in a year. Like you can literally do something wrong the next day after an expungement. If your staying out of trouble for a full year, that should say a lot. Shouldn't it?

ik a girl whose boyfriend has been to jail a few times, like Everytime he got out he ended up back in. Like. 1 year span he was in jail lol. He thinks a thug too lol.
            Last edited by Khanraider97; 07-04-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I got a question. Why does it have to be 5 years and not a year to consider you? A lot can happen in a year. Like you can literally do something wrong the next day after an expungement. If your staying out of trouble for a full year, that should say a lot. Shouldn't it?

ik a girl whose boyfriend has been to jail a few times, like Everytime he got out he ended up back in. Like. 1 year span he was in jail lol. He thinks a thug too lol.
              There's a few things that you have to consider. First, I'm giving 5 years as a ballpark figure of what to expect from most PDs. For Philly, it may be more and it may be less. They very well may only require a year. Some PDs will want a 10+ year gap for anything above a summery offense, regardless of whether or not it was expunged. Sometimes it's not set in stone, and it will be case by case as to how much time they want to see between an incident and when they'll consider a candidate for employment.

Second, based on my experience, a year is not usually enough time to fully determine if a person has changed their ways. It's not just about staying out of trouble; it's also about establishing a long term pattern of responsibility. A lot of the frequent flyers at the jail I worked at never could stay out for more than a few months at a time. Many more only lasted a year or two before they slipped back into their old ways. PDs are going to want to be really sure that you're changed before they take a chance on you.
              -Chris Rock

Comment

There's a few things that you have to consider. First, I'm giving 5 years as a ballpark figure of what to expect from most PDs. For Philly, it may be more and it may be less. They very well may only require a year. Some PDs will want a 10+ year gap for anything above a summery offense, regardless of whether or not it was expunged. Sometimes it's not set in stone, and it will be case by case as to how much time they want to see between an incident and when they'll consider a candidate for employment.

Second, based on my experience, a year is not usually enough time to fully determine if a person has changed their ways. It's not just about staying out of trouble; it's also about establishing a long term pattern of responsibility. A lot of the frequent flyers at the jail I worked at never could stay out for more than a few months at a time. Many more only lasted a year or two before they slipped back into their old ways. PDs are going to want to be really sure that you're changed before they take a chance on you.
                i get that too. But in that case why not 2 or 3 years lol. For me I'm young and I keep feeling like this year is going by so slow. That's why I think 1 year should be enough. And I get some people will try to keep the perception that they are of good moral than turn out to be borderline schizo or bi polar.

Like I know people who seem like good people and seem like they never would hit you out of anger, but they start hanging around you dating a girl and than you find out they are just legit crazy.

My best friend had a boyfriend who she was with for 3 years and he beat her for whatever reason she still hasn't told me why. And he got locked up, than came out and she started trying to talk to him again, and he kept brushing her off than they started dating again a few months ago and just when I think he's changed he beats her again. But she never called the cops on him again, and I to this day I still tell her that she could've put him in jail for longer for a second offense and she acts as if it's the best good deed she ever did.
                Last edited by Khanraider97; 07-04-2019, 11:47 PM.

Comment

What YOU think has no bearing on it. Each post you make shows a lack of maturity. This is NOT the job for you.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    What YOU think has no bearing on it. Each post you make shows a lack of maturity. This is NOT the job for you.
                    Maturity is taking responsibility, acceptings out of your control, not relying on others to help, accepting consequences and not going assuming something wild from the get go.

I really don't know what you see as mature. This is how I was taught to be mature. I can't see myself doing anything else. I'd be lying if I said I wanted to own everything that father owns after he passes including the franchise.

So really I am showing maturity because I'm actually willing wait. And I have not said anybodies wrong on here. I did what I did. It wasnt right and it makes me seem like a psycho wether Philly pd calls me or not. I will still go and disclose it because I don't want to be the guy whose afraid of the answer no. And being honest with them will let them know im more mature and that I didn't lie just to get in.

I'm not trying to have problems with you but like I said I'm not going to suck up to you because I'm not a kid and that would show immaturity. I do have a lot of hurtful stuff to say to you like I do when people cut me off on the road. But I'm not going to say it because that's me showing maturity.

Comment

Read your posts. All you have done is describe how you would bully, hit, and abuse those who you think deserve it if you were a Police Officer.

If you can’t see what YOUR issue is,then that’s on you, not us.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8054 users online. 366 members and 7688 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X