Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another good tip for those who are after the 400 ranks, apply for the 6013 cycle. I already applied for the next cycle back in September and received an email today saying testing will be late January 2019. The trooper who did my oral exam said he got in on his 5th try and his partner on his 3rd. Do not lose hope and keep on trying! This country needs good cops out there.

Also, I'm living in Southern California currently and LAPD, LA Sheriff's, Riverside sheriff's, San Diego pd, and San Bernardino sheriff's are actively hiring and really need people out here. LAPD has an expedited out-of-state applicant process and theres possibilities of being in an academy within 4 months of applying.

Comment

• Not a veteran and scored in the top 200. This Is my second time going through the process. Background check is very extensive and time consuming. Start early and get it finished.

Comment

• Rdb0929
        Rdb0929 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did they tell you why you didn’t advance to the next step last time? Or did you pass everything but just not get a spot in the classes?

• Based on the previous cycle and advice from other members I have stated working in my packets even though I'm ranked 45* however I had a question. From my understanding it seems like people in the top 400 received emails that were different from those that were not in the top 400. Did they tell you it was okay to fill out everything because the formal application states not to fill out anything until contacted by a member of PSP.

Comment

• SaltySoldier
        SaltySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Fill out what you can now. The reason they say don't fill out the packet until contacted by BI is because some information will change, i.e; where you live, credit/debt, employers.

But still fill it out, at the very least make filling it out easier in the future

• Anyone who has experienced this please chime in and comment:
      This is my first time advancing to the background investigation. I plan to continue pouring my heart and all my efforts into the entire process. My first question is, what does the process look like? I will receive an email from a BI in the near future who asks me to bring in the .pdf paperwork and we review it together? They call if they have questions, I clarify my response(s) and later down the road you are told you are moving onto the Psych, medical and or physical agility test? Any insight would be very beneficial, thank you

Comment

• SaltySoldier
        SaltySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Way they did it for most of the 155th class.
        BI will contact you. BI will give you a date to have hour packet ready, usually within a week. Bi will most likely just ask you to email it to them, as they still have their normal case load to work on, on top of the Backgrounds for multiple applicants.
        BI will contact your work reference and personal references, than contact you if there's any issues (reference has a dui, or a theft, give me another one) BI will most likely ask a few of the references for additional people to contact as a (surprise reference). Each of these calls will take 3-10 min.
        After the calls for references are placed, if you're local, they more than likely will send out a car or visit the area and neighbors themselves.
        Once all that is complete, they will call you in to review their findings and ask a few pointed questions about your past and family history (do not lie!!)

After all these is complete they give their recommendation and packet to HR. HR has a panel that reviews and gives final recommendation.

HR will contact you with further instructions for the time and date for the PRT. You do the PRT and the steps required for that. If they make you see psych you won't get an all clear or an offer letter for up to 3 weeks after the date.

Keep in mind, that you can go 2 months without hearing anything from anyone. I do recommend if after meeting with your BI and if they say something like "keep running" or "increase your workout" or anything to do with possibly being gone for the academy, take that as you getting their recommendation and the week following the date provided by HR for them to submit your packets, start emailing HR and confirming if they received your packet and if they processed it to the hiring panel. HR "misplaced" my packet for 3 weeks....

• PA_Ed
        PA_Ed commented
        Editing a comment
        Salty, this was unbelievably helpful! WOW Thank you very much!
        Do you have any tips or suggestions that you can offer? Things you wish you knew the first time you went through the BI portion?
        Ed

• SaltySoldier
        SaltySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        PA_Ed, fortunately I'm slated for a class already. Figured I would pop in here to help those in future test cycles keep their heads about them, during this lengthy process.

Tips.
        1. Do not lie, omit, or sugar coat anything in your past if you have anything. They will find out and if you tried withholding information the BI will find out and it won't look good. I know personally someone with minor issues in their past that was denied employment for lying, while I myself was able to get through (despite having a lot of items in my past) . Anyone that does have a DUI, or misdemeanors, on record, show and explain to the BI that those were mistakes,that you've learned from them and have made strides to better yourself. It goes a long way.

2. Work out. Almost all of the exercises they have demonstrated for us for orientation and the instructions reference is Crossfit. (Despite what your personal view of crossfit is) I highly recommend finding a group or gym in the area that offers it. I wish I would have known that 3-6 months ago.

3. Once the BI gives you any type of inclination that they are recommending you, i.e; keep running,get your shoes ready, study this or that, try to find an updated packing list. Start buying items that you can early on. It'll save money later on.
        Stables in the packing list for the last 5 years are 3 pairs of Dickies, low quarter oxford shoes (unglossed). Other items vary. Expect to pay around 1k for the list though.

4. As well as what is mentioned in 3. Once you have an idea how its going to go. Start making Dr and dentist appointments. You have to come out of pocket for the screenings, and if you have seen Dr or dentist in the last 6 months, you only need to give them a form to fill out.

5. Once you're given a tentative class date/number. Someone in this cycle needs to start up a chat group or groupme with others in the same class. You'll find the information and ideas gathered around is invaluable. Itll also help you know people before you go, anything to make life easier.

6. DO NOT drink and drive, speed, or anything else that requires you to interact with police in a negative manner. We had someone get a DUI a few weeks ago. Lyft, uber, something. Don't throw away this chance for 3-5 additional years over a stupid
        decision.

7. If you have access to Pa State Police crime code book. Review it. Title 75 traffic enforcement specifically. At least get familiar with how to navigate it. It will make life easier.
        Last edited by SaltySoldier; 10-25-2018, 01:13 PM.

• Started my BI yesterday for everyone in the 200's. My email said early November, but must be ahead of schedule?
      Anyone else have any movement?

Comment

• I am also in the 200's. I have not heard anything yet. What area of PA are you from? And I saw that your brother was ranked top 200. Did he hear anything?

Comment

• Corncob
          Corncob commented
          Editing a comment
          The strange thing is, my brother hasn’t heard a word yet. He scored a little better than me, I think maybe we have different investigators and with time off and such he just hasn’t got his call yet. I’m from NW PA. Troop E area. How about you?

• I’m from SW PA. I just figured we would hear something on 11/2 or since that’s a Friday that Monday 11/5.

Comment

• Got an email last week from Bi, emailed the packets requested on wed. Veteran, in the 200s

Comment

• Ranked mid 300's, no email from BI as of yet

Comment

• Has anyone heard anything yet? Curious if we will hear something today.

Comment

• PA_Ed
                PA_Ed commented
                Editing a comment
                Rank 3** I have not heard anything from a BI, I routinely monitor my emails
                Eager to get the process underway

Edit: 10:00am Monday 11/12, no contact from BI
                Last edited by PA_Ed; 11-11-2018, 06:30 PM.

• D08C
                D08C commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure what determines it. I’m top 200. My BI got in touch with me a week ago. I sent in everything and he called all my references this week. I have a meeting scheduled for next week.

• PA_Ed
                PA_Ed commented
                Editing a comment
                Very interesting, I am excited to go through this portion of the hiring process. First timer here so I am both eager yet excited Best of luck fellas

• Ranked in the top 200 and no contact from BI yet.

Comment

• Heard from my individual 2 weeks ago. Ranked in 100’s.

Comment

• Emailed HR today and said not to worry about not hearing anything yet. They said it can be several weeks until you are contacted. It just all depends on how many criminal cases and how backed up they are with their normal workload.

Comment

• ZC71789
                    ZC71789 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah they will let you know. I know my investigator has already been contacting my references listed, as they have told me they have gotten calls from the State Police.

• Winniedog121
                    Winniedog121 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Zc, when did you turn in your paperwork?

• Received an email containing a revised timeline for applicants ranked 227-400, which explains why I have not been contacted by a BI as of yet:

This is to inform you of an update to the approximate processing timeline that was previously provided to you.

Revised timeline will be:
                  Early-mid January: background investigation conducted
                  Early-mid March: a one-day physical readiness test, medical screening, and psychological screening is conducted
                  6/03/2018: potential enlistment date for 157th Cadet Class
                  9/23/2019: potential enlistment date for 158th Cadet Class

Thank you

Comment

• Corncob
                    Corncob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My original email said 201-400, so they've changed it to 227-400...I fall into the 200-227, does this potentially move me up to the 156th and 157th?

• Is anyone else sitting just outside the top 400 hoping they get to us? I saw last cycle they got up to around 500 but with how much they pushed back the background for this cycle, I feel like the new list for 6013 would be out before they reach us.

Comment

• Ballin3
                    Ballin3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Last cycle was Upper 500's when it was all said and done. You have a VERY high probability of getting a call for BI sooner rather than later. Keep your head up and keep in mind things are going to start moving very slowly as the holidays approach...

• Space Ranger
                    Space Ranger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm hoping for the same! I'm 4** and everyone has been telling me we have a good chance but I'm all ready set go for 6013 as well. It would be nice if they get to us.
                    Last edited by Space Ranger; 01-02-2019, 01:09 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7286 users online. 364 members and 6922 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X