300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NConti View Post
    I got my invite! Anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare for the interview? Best of luck everyone.
    Both of the recruiters at the testing location I went to said to read the prep guide they have online. They also linked it in the email they sent. Other then that, i would say to know the department, know what psp stands for, and always be confident and sit up straight and make eye contact.

Comment

Anyone know if they offer the interviews over the weekends?

Comment

Originally posted by Rdb0929 View Post
        Anyone know if they offer the interviews over the weekends?
        You will be able to schedule your interview between the 28th of September and 2nd of October which falls on a weekend.

Comment

• Rdb0929
          Rdb0929 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a lot!

Feeling more confident this cycle. Last cycle was my first go at it. I test really well so the written was no problem, I was somewhere in the top fifty or so. The oral got me pretty good, I didn't manage my time and rushed through. This go around I'm aiming to use my strengths and prepare for the first few questions by writing them out and being more prepared almost like giving a speech.

I saw what someone else posted, knowing the background and everything about the agency your aiming to join us very important and will help in your testing.

Comment

• PA_Ed
          PA_Ed commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, you answer from the civilian perspective
          PSPJ what do you mean they were not police situational questions, almost all of my questions involved law enforcement and some sort of crime being committed

• PSPJ
          PSPJ commented
          Editing a comment
          PA_Ed Some involve crimes but I have had some where it could be a medical emergency or simply offering assistance to someone in need (not necessarily in distress). Not all questions are related to crime.

• PA_Ed
          PA_Ed commented
          Editing a comment
          PSPJ fair brother, respect!

• PSPJ
          PSPJ commented
          Editing a comment
          PA_Ed Good luck with the oral exam and the rest of the process!

Originally posted by PA_Ed View Post
        Wow only 2,860 people took the test? When I tested last these were the numbers:

"4,258 candidates took the PSP Cadet written examination. The 2,137 highest scoring candidates are eligible to advance to the next step in the selection process—the Cadet oral examination."

^Copied from a February 2018 email

Also found this below from a March 30th 2018 email:

4262 candidates took the written examination. You scored higher than: 3104.
        1934 candidates took the oral examination. You scored higher than: 1669.

Point being, this written test was historically low
        Last cycle was essentially testing a whole calendar year worth of applications. This cycle is only January through June - 6mo. Makes since the number of applicants would be about half of last cycle, yeah? Hopefully it won't mean they'll process less people after orals.

Congrats to everyone invited!

Comment

To any of you going through this for the first time, this will be my second time doing the oral and here is what I would suggest:

- Arrive on time
          - Wear professional business attire
          - A lot of this presents on how you present yourself. Your body language plays a huge role in this. Situp straight in your chair, make eye contact with the evaluators, and talk clear.
          - Try not to be nervous, I know that is what maybe hurt me a little last time. I know what to expect this time, so I am less nervous and more confident.
          - know the department and most importantly learn the PSP Values. If you say them during your oral examination, you will impress your evaluators because it shows them you took the time to study and learn about the history of the Pennsylvania State Police
          - Here is the biggest one from what the HR person told us the last time I did the oral examination. He said, this is the biggest mistake most applicants make. The scenarios they give you during the oral examination, answer them from a civilian point of view. DO NOT answer them from a law enforcement perspective. The person from HR said this is the biggest mistake most people make.

Comment

Did anyone receive an email recently titled "CADET ORAL EXAMINATION PREP GUIDE" with a .pdf attached? I did not receive this email the first time I went through the PSP hiring process. The email is from Pressley, Brian O - brpressley@pa.gov.

"Congratulations for advancing to the Pennsylvania State Police Cadet oral examination!
            The above attachment will provide additional insight about the process and help you prepare for the oral examination.
            If you have any additional questions about the hiring process, please feel free to contact any recruiter listed on PATROOPER.COM.

Take Care!
            Recruitment Services Section"

I have never received this before and little hesitant to open the .pdf

Comment

• 4Tkd
              4Tkd commented
              Editing a comment
              I got it for the first time as well, opened it with no issues. If you want instead the same exact guide is on the PSP website under the cadet testing announcements section!

It's just a quick guide on what to prepare for and expect so it's helpful. Maybe something new they're doing because too many candidates failed the oral? ALSO... so I just went onto the PASC site and it looked like it was allowing me to schedule my oral and I thought I found a glitch. But, when you get to the end to select a time, there are no time slots available. So I was fooled, just a fyi if anyone else encounters that lol

Comment

Oral exam is scheduled! Good luck everyone and see you there.

Comment

Oral exam is scheduled for the weekend in King of Prussia!! Best of luck!

Comment

to all for oral exam:
                  questions are very brief and it is up to you to carry question/situation forward try to be direct in your response and elaborate response using the "critical to success" keynotes. the exam is timed, so don't spend too much time on one question bc you only have 25 min to answer all questions.
                  other tips can be found on the PSP Cadet Testing Announcements page

https://www.psp.pa.gov/employment/Do...ep%20Guide.pdf

good luck

Comment

Anyone who has made it to the orals twice, are the questions the same and used year after year?
                    I am vaguely remembering some of my oral board questions from last attempt and hopeful they will not change

Thank you

Comment

• PSPJ
                      PSPJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This will be my third time. I haven’t had any repeats in the previous two cycles.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8424 users online. 333 members and 8091 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X