Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSP Cycle 6012

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PSP Cycle 6012

    Hey guys.....

    I live in in close proximity, but I am not a PA resident. Looking into PSP, I have always heard good things about them. I am curious to know how long their process is and how many applicants they generally have?

    I read on here that they got rid of the polygraph? Is that true? Their website states "Background Investigation: Applicants determined by the Polygraph Review Panel to proceed through processing will have a thorough, comprehensive background investigation conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police. The background investigative report will address each area of an applicant’s life, specifically addressing, but not limited to, the following areas: personal background, family, education, military, employment, character references, personal associates, legal/criminal/traffic history/behavior, credit, and residency."

    Insight please

  • #2
    - A solid year for processing
    - thousands upon thousands of applicants (literally)
    -polygraph was removed so it's the same as NJSP basically.

    plenty of answers on here just search through the threads here. Gd luck

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MarDelVa96 View Post
      Hey guys.....

      I live in in close proximity, but I am not a PA resident. Looking into PSP, I have always heard good things about them. I am curious to know how long their process is and how many applicants they generally have?

      I read on here that they got rid of the polygraph? Is that true? Their website states "Background Investigation: Applicants determined by the Polygraph Review Panel to proceed through processing will have a thorough, comprehensive background investigation conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police. The background investigative report will address each area of an applicant’s life, specifically addressing, but not limited to, the following areas: personal background, family, education, military, employment, character references, personal associates, legal/criminal/traffic history/behavior, credit, and residency."

      Insight please

      Test cycles 4 years ago typically would see 8k + applicants. This past test cycle 6011 only had just over 4200. PA is seeing a major decline in applicants, despite getting rid of the polygraph and giving veterans a waiver on education. PSP's academy is still one of the toughest in the Country, which deters a lot of applicants, but honestly I think other jurisdictions should mimic.

      The process has been streamlined this past year or so. Before there was no timeline posted (at least you were not made aware of), this past cycle they actually gave you a timeline of expected start/finish dates for each step, and a tentative start date for the academy. About 9 months from testing until first academy class.

      Know this is late, but hopefully this helps if you haven't looked further into it.

      Comment


      • #4
        They should do a lateral type (shorter academy) similar to FHP for applicants with 5+ fulltime PA experience. I'd jump all over that.

        Comment


        • #5
          I took the written test back in February but went away for army basic training for three in a half months and got back June 1st. I received a military deferment while I was gone and am taking my oral exam in September, without doing the written test again.

          Hopefully this is the cycle I get in on.

          Comment


          • #6
            I narrowly missed test cutoff myself on the written. Which killed me becasue the test is so damn simple. I'll take the extra time this go around.
            Last edited by Copkid228; 07-09-2018, 08:44 PM.

            Comment


            • PSPJ
              PSPJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m in the same boat. Written test is holding me back. Not that I tested bad just need to get my score up. I have done well on the oral the past two cycles but just trying to figure out what I need to do to get the written score up. I’m very close to the top 400 which seems to be the magic number. Any tips for getting a few more points on the written exam?

            • SaltySoldier
              SaltySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              PSPJ I recommend taking the Pittsburgh test, it's the same exact written exam and they give scores. It's a good practice exam to see where you are ranking.

              Only other thing I can say is practice pattern recognition as that seems to mess some guys up.

          • #7
            Can't sign into scsc.pa.gov to sign up for the next exam. Anyone else having this issue. Thanks

            Comment


            • #8
              Good morning everyone,
              In reply to the last post, we can not start the sign up process until July 20th at 9am.

              Comment


              • #9
                Does anyone know if they do any type of out of state hiring events where they do a few steps of the process in the same day? I'm in CA so flying back and forth would be $$$. Thank you all!

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Kumar817 View Post
                  Does anyone know if they do any type of out of state hiring events where they do a few steps of the process in the same day? I'm in CA so flying back and forth would be $$$. Thank you all!
                  Thatll be a negative. They may postpone certain things for deployed active duty guys but other than that, its same process/ time line for everyone.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Hey guys to all of you signing up to take the written test some advice. Test is not hard, but take your time. They give you two in a half hours, use it wisely and read the questions carefully. They will try to trick you on some of them.

                    Comment


                    • mbeishline
                      mbeishline commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for the insight, I'm more curious as to what the oral interview entails and the scenarios that will be asked upon; either way it's exciting.

                    • ZC71789
                      ZC71789 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The oral is not bad,the scenarios they give you are pretty simple, but you have to answer them from a civilian perspective, not a law enforcement perspective.

                      I am taking my oral exam for this cycle, without having to do my written test again. I took the written exam for the previous cycle, but then went away for Army Training for three in half months, so I was gone when the last oral exam was administered.

                      They gave me a military deferment, so I am hoping this is the cycle I finally get in on. Good luck to you also.

                    • mbeishline
                      mbeishline commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you again for the advice. I wish you luck with the oral; hopefully well see eachother in the future.

                  • #12
                    Originally posted by ZC71789 View Post
                    Hey guys to all of you signing up to take the written test some advice. Test is not hard, but take your time. They give you two in a half hours, use it wisely and read the questions carefully. They will try to trick you on some of them.
                    Yeah Iesrned going fast the hard way. Narrowly missed the cutoff last go round. Taking my time on this one.

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      How long do we wait for the scores after taking the written?

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by Kumar817 View Post
                        How long do we wait for the scores after taking the written?
                        Few weeks. About a week or so before orals

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          Originally posted by Copkid228 View Post

                          Few weeks. About a week or so before orals
                          You do not ever get scores. You will either be invited to the oral or not. From there, you will be ranked based on how you did in both the written and oral exams.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 7656 users online. 351 members and 7305 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X