300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualified from hiring yet again...

I am looking for suggestions on how to handle this. I applied and was offered a position in 2015 only to "not pass" psych eval even though had same one few weeks prior and everything was fine. I was told by the doctor I could request a copy of the eval from the state however every attempt was denied by the state to provide me a copy at that time and to add insult proceeded to remove my name from elig list for 18 months without any proof of the cause.

Fast forward was in background recently and disclosed one termination which was for employer listed and as far as I could remember was same as I disclosed in 2015. I received a notice that I was disqualified yet again for not disclosing multiple terminations that I have no idea what they are talking about. I contacted both the person who sent me the background and the third party who sent the disqualification notice and was mearly told we don't keep background checks from prior years on file and to file appeal. It is very clear they do indeed keep items on file and are being difficult to get basic information. The last time I sent a nice professional letter to the director of PBPP that was sent back stating they do not accept incoming mail.

As a veteran with a 4 year degree and current job in corrections I feel like I am being blackballed here. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by JasonR83; 01-02-2018, 07:05 AM.

Hi Jason,

I am not familiar with civil service rules in your state, but generally speaking, when one is disqualified (fails any portion of the exam process) their name is removed from the eligible list. As a lay person, having a copy of your psych eval does you little good as you lack the training and expertise necessary to evaluate and interpret it. The usual procedure in such cases is to retain a civil service attorney to file an appeal on your behalf. He will also do several other things. First, he will obtain a copy of the psych exam from the agency you applied with along with a copy of their psych dynamics and a duty statement, He will also retain a trained and licensed psychologist to do a second evaluation of you in relation to the prior evaluation, the department's psych dynamics and the department's duty statement. This will be used st your appeal hearing to demonstrate you are psychologically and emotionally fit to handle the stress of the job, assuming you pass the second evaluation.

With respect to the second disqualification, there are two grounds for appeal, either they made a mistake and the information the collected about you is erroneous, or the criteria they used to disqualify you has no reasonable relationship to the position you are seeking. The department must disclose the information at an appeals hearing at which time you defend against it. Again, most applicants see this as a simple black and white issue they should be . able to argue themselves. It is not. You need to retain counsel to obtain the information ahead of time as part of discovery, so you can prepare your case. It is unlikely they will do so if you are representing yourself.

No doubt you first thought here is - but attorneys cost lots of money. I can't afford that. Remember, if you succeed, this job will pay you millions of dollars over your lifetime and a pension and benefits that will probably go over a millions dollars as well. Ask yourself, if you know you are clean, can you afford not to hire an attorney?

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Are you Act 120 Certified?
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

As a follow up, should you choose to file an appeal, there is usually a limited time window withing which you may do so. With many agencies it is 10 or 15 days of the date of your notice. Read your DQ notice carefully and make note of the appeal deadline. If you miss it, you will lose your chance to appeal.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4258 users online. 218 members and 4040 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X