Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PA Police Academy

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PA Police Academy

    Just seeking some input from officers who have attended various police academies in Central PA (keep in mind that I have to keep central PA a large area due to the limited programs in the area). By Central PA, I mean HACC, Reading City, Lackawanna-Hazelton. I'm planning on attending an January Academy, and am now left with the decision of where to go. I've looked at HACC, and it is closest to my residence, however I'm still hung up over they will not allow you to have any sort of employment throughout your training. Realizing that I'm not going to be working all day every day, I'm stuck with trying to find a way to put food on the table, keep a roof over my head, and still be able to make it through school. That is why I am considering the other two alternatives (they allow you to be employed while attending the academy). Can anyone give me any input regarding any of these programs?

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Hey there, I'm heading in the same direction as you. As I understand it, you get paid during the PSP academy training in Hershey. It's not much but it's something. On the website it explains salary during the academy. During the time there you are not allowed to leave except for weekends if you are not put on a job. You must be back on the Sunday evening for your day to begin on Monday again. This is the information I got from my recruiter. Hope it helps some. I have my oral test on the 26th of September. Wondering if anyone could give me some scenarios they might throw at me. GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nheckman
      Hey there, I'm heading in the same direction as you. As I understand it, you get paid during the PSP academy training in Hershey. It's not much but it's something. On the website it explains salary during the academy. During the time there you are not allowed to leave except for weekends if you are not put on a job. You must be back on the Sunday evening for your day to begin on Monday again. This is the information I got from my recruiter. Hope it helps some. I have my oral test on the 26th of September. Wondering if anyone could give me some scenarios they might throw at me. GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

      I think what FAS is stating is that they are going to try and attend one of the ACT 120 academies at a local college. And no you do not get paid, since you are having to pay to attend the academy and are still not guaranteed a job once you graduate.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

      Comment


      • #4
        Most of the guys I work with went to HACC and they seemed to like it but then again they were all hired and then sent by our department so they were getting paid. I sent myself and went to a part time academy in Pittsburgh which was run by Indiana University of PA. It took me just about a year but I was able to work at the same time. It sounds like a long time but it went really quick and wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first started. It also helped me out because it gives you a little more time to study for tests in between classes, since I only had class three times a week. Im sure it would be nice to go to HACC and get the academy done quicker but I dont know about for you but 6 months with no income would be a little rough for me. Good luck with your decision.

        Comment


        • #5
          OOPs sorry about that. I see now that you weren't talking about the State Police Academy. Yeah, they are right you don't get paid for attending that academy. It would be tough on me too if I didn't have an income. GOOD LUCK!

          Comment


          • #6
            I've been looking primarily at Reading City Academy, or Lackawanna College-Hazelton. I've heard that Reading is a very intense physical program, where as HACC is very into the book end of things. These two academies allow you to work on the weekends and such. I also heard that Allentown is a good academy. Most of the officers in my area went to either HACC or Reading. Sadly, I'm living on my own, so I have rent and a truck payment, so not working isn't really an option. I'm anxious to get started, and am just trying to find a way to make it all work. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              If you are attending the Act 120 Fulltime or Parttime, fulltime you do some training on the weekends. If you are part-time you will have classes on Tues and Thurs plus weekends. Unless you are sponseard by a Dept you will not get paid.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hacc Act 120

                Ok, so I can go to HACC on my own, get certified and then apply for a PD in PA?

                I wonder if my GI Bill would cover it... what's the discipline, PT, and stuff like when you don't go to the Academy, do you still have people pushing you around and yelling? I had my share of that crap in Basic Training and Security Forces Tech School, and don't want to do it all again!
                -SrA J Hughes
                United States Air Force
                Security Forces Patrolman
                -Defensor Fortis-

                -AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AirmanE3
                  Ok, so I can go to HACC on my own, get certified and then apply for a PD in PA?

                  I wonder if my GI Bill would cover it... what's the discipline, PT, and stuff like when you don't go to the Academy, do you still have people pushing you around and yelling? I had my share of that crap in Basic Training and Security Forces Tech School, and don't want to do it all again!
                  Police Academies are very different then Military LE, since you will be providing a different service then the military does. Any Academy you go to, most likely it will be a boot-camp style Academy. Just be prepared for that.

                  What do you mean by " and stuff like when you don't go to the academy..."?
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Academy

                    I was planning on paying my way through HACC's Academy... so I meant not at a physical Police Academy building

                    Make sense?
                    -SrA J Hughes
                    United States Air Force
                    Security Forces Patrolman
                    -Defensor Fortis-

                    -AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AirmanE3
                      I was planning on paying my way through HACC's Academy... so I meant not at a physical Police Academy building

                      Make sense?
                      Usually they keep the same standards as a Departments Academy. Most likely you will have instructors from surrounding agencies. So yes still expect it to be some-what of a boot-camp style academy. And yes do check with the college about using your GI bill.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks

                        Thank you for the reply. As you can tell, I am unfamiliar with the process, being a military cop. You might think me a sissy for not wanting to spend 32 weeks getting yelled at, but that's me, and I've had it once, it worked, I don't need it again.
                        -SrA J Hughes
                        United States Air Force
                        Security Forces Patrolman
                        -Defensor Fortis-

                        -AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AirmanE3
                          Thank you for the reply. As you can tell, I am unfamiliar with the process, being a military cop. You might think me a sissy for not wanting to spend 32 weeks getting yelled at, but that's me, and I've had it once, it worked, I don't need it again.
                          Well as I stated, be prepared for that. Civilian LE is completely different then Military LE!
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks

                            Thank you for your reply!

                            I think I will apply for HACC's ACT 120 cert, and then try to apply for a PD!

                            I look forward to the civilian LE as opposed to Military!
                            Last edited by AirmanE3; 03-05-2006, 01:54 PM. Reason: ADDING
                            -SrA J Hughes
                            United States Air Force
                            Security Forces Patrolman
                            -Defensor Fortis-

                            -AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 5373 users online. 298 members and 5075 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X