300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pa sheriff's and k-9's

How do Pennsylvania Sheriff's get away with using k-9 dogs, when there not LEO's. Excluding Allegheny County?

Source? Link? What type of K9?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Pa sheriff's and k-9's

They assist locals and use them for court house services. Here in Chester county there are several drug dogs and several bomb dogs. They also have an arson dog assigned to one of the Fire Marshals I believe.

Sheriffs still have arrest limited powers it just isn't their primary function.
      Last edited by cgravines; 08-20-2014, 07:59 PM. Reason: add more info
      West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
      Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
      Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

The sheriff and his/her deputies are law enforcement officers; they are just not police officers. Although LEO and police officer are used interchangeably, in PA there is a legal difference.

Comment

How do you get on here without knowing anything ?

I was a Phila deputy, sworn LEO according to Constitution and Crimes Code.

Deputies who haven't been cops still receive the SAME!!!! Training and certifications at the Penn State academy.

I've made arrests as a deputy and had them prosecuted etc

Our K9s trained with and serve with Phila PD and surrounding counties.

Thank you for your participation in this educational experience

Comment

Also, I was previously a cop elsewhere, so I speak from both sides of the penny

Comment

As what has already been said... Sheriffs and their deputies are LEO's... Just not police officers. Not to mention there are many Sheriffs Dept's becoming accredited Law Enforcement Agencies through Pa Chiefs of Police Accreditation Commission... While a large number of Pa Police Depts aren't. And the fact that more Sheriffs depts are getting bomb, narc, patrol and tracking K9 is a great thing! It offers county wide assets and service for local agencies.
              Last edited by Surefire78; 08-24-2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I used to be LEO in Berks County, working alongside the deputies. Some were ACT 120 but most were ACT 2. The crimes code allows a designee of LEO to make arrests. Therefore, just about anyone under the Sheriff could make arrests (on view or with a warrant).

Comment

They are "Peace Officers" with the power of arrest. They attend a basic academy and were law enforcement in Pennsylvania long before police existed in the Commonwealth of PA.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeF2009 View Post
                    How do you get on here without knowing anything ?

I was a Phila deputy, sworn LEO according to Constitution and Crimes Code.

Deputies who haven't been cops still receive the SAME!!!! Training and certifications at the Penn State academy.

I've made arrests as a deputy and had them prosecuted etc

Our K9s trained with and serve with Phila PD and surrounding counties.

Thank you for your participation in this educational experience
                    Out of curiosity, what sort of arrests have you made? I was always the under the impression that the Deputies didn't file charges.

Comment

You do know that PA Sheriff's are Peace Officers with powers of arrest right?

Comment

IN Maryland and most other states they both have police powers. Biggest difference is sheriffs can also enforce civil law and let's not forget that technically speaking as an elected official the Sheriff is the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the county...

Comment

Originally posted by OfficerBarbrady View Post
                          Out of curiosity, what sort of arrests have you made? I was always the under the impression that the Deputies didn't file charges.
                          That was my thought too while reading this. My guess is he was interviewed by detectives like a regular complainant.
                          "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Comment

"absent specific statutory authorization, sheriffs are not “police” or “law enforcement” officers authorized to conduct independent investigations where no breach of the peace or felony has been committed in their presence." Also, "the members of this Court maintain great respect and express gratitude for sheriffs and their deputies in the performance of indispensable public services within their realm. We reiterate, however, that they are not police officers—nor are they invested with general police powers beyond the authority to arrest for in-presence breaches of the peace and felonies—in the absence of express legislative designation" (Commonwealth v. Marconi, 2013).

Yes, then can make arrests, but their authority is extremely limited.
                            Last edited by PPDSWD; 12-05-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Removed by user.
                              Last edited by bcollett18; 01-07-2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6058 users online. 299 members and 5759 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X