Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full-time police officer looking to move from Michigan to Pennsylvania

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Full-time police officer looking to move from Michigan to Pennsylvania

    Background:
    I am married and we have a son. I am a USMC veteran. I am a full time police officer in Michigan and I want to move to Pennsylvania, preferably western PA. The goal is to be about half way between Philadelphia and Grand Rapids, MI.
    I have looked up MPOETC and read the info, but in laymans terms, what does that really mean that I have to do to lateral move? Here is the info from MPOETC:

    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ication/584115

    Any experience with this process would be very helpful.
    Also, is there some sort of email subscription that I can become a part of that notifies me of open positions statewide? There is in Michigan and it proved very helpful upon graduation from the academy.
    My next question is about which departments would be a good match for me and my family. Specifically, which are hiring along my timeframe (within 1 year, less is better, more is acceptable), allow portions of the application process to be completed over long distance / via Skype, and which are located around my preferred region.
    We both like Pittsburgh alot, but we are fine with more rural areas as well.
    Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
    Last edited by masakari; 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM.

  • #2
    You have to submit a request form to make sure they will accept your academy and also submit a criminal history through the listed portal. Once you are told you qualify you have to pick a date to take a 200 question test (basic academy final exam) it is a common sense questions, never heard of anyone failing.

    Townships can have the option of either testing or just hiring. Many hire off of county consortium test.
    Boroughs must test.

    Below is a link to get email alerts for PA Chiefs Association for job opening and tests.

    http://www.pachiefs.org/page-885645


    MPOETC link

    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ication/584115

    Good luck, hope this helps. Thank you for your service to our Country

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RetNYCDet View Post
      You have to submit a request form to make sure they will accept your academy and also submit a criminal history through the listed portal. Once you are told you qualify you have to pick a date to take a 200 question test (basic academy final exam) it is a common sense questions, never heard of anyone failing.

      Townships can have the option of either testing or just hiring. Many hire off of county consortium test.
      Boroughs must test.

      Below is a link to get email alerts for PA Chiefs Association for job opening and tests.

      http://www.pachiefs.org/page-885645


      MPOETC link

      http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ication/584115

      Good luck, hope this helps. Thank you for your service to our Country
      Thanks for the information. I'll be submitting the paperwork as soon as possible.

      Does the 200 question test have to be done in person?
      Last edited by masakari; 07-18-2014, 05:32 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm a P.O. up in Michigan too, I took and passed the MPOETC test in preparation for getting a job near Philly (I've applied for a few but still in process). I would actually disagree with the above person, If your not from PA the laws are not common sense because of how they class their crimes (sorry but just my opinion). You should study Title 18 & 75 and the other 2 books the MPOETC recommends. I will say I found online PDF's which made study easy, if you send me a private message I can send links.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lpranger467 View Post
          I'm a P.O. up in Michigan too, I took and passed the MPOETC test in preparation for getting a job near Philly (I've applied for a few but still in process). I would actually disagree with the above person, If your not from PA the laws are not common sense because of how they class their crimes (sorry but just my opinion). You should study Title 18 & 75 and the other 2 books the MPOETC recommends. I will say I found online PDF's which made study easy, if you send me a private message I can send links.
          I took it on the blind and passed. I can't see how you could possibly fail the test if you have been a Police Officer any amount of time. To each his own I guess.

          Comment


          • #6
            @ Ret NYCdet, the laws in Michigan are completely different from PA. ie-, no Death Penalty classification questions, Aggravated Assault is a misdemeanor for instance and so on. Michigan also has no such thing as Summary Offences. I recall a test question asked the penalty of snow blew off your car and hit a pedestrian etc-, you either know that or you dont. Not sure what year you took it but I was told by the proctor in Harrisburg that they made it harder because nobody was failing basically. I think with the classifications of crimes being so different it would be foolish to not at least spend a few days hitting the books. Just my opinion though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lpranger467 View Post
              @ Ret NYCdet, the laws in Michigan are completely different from PA. ie-, no Death Penalty classification questions, Aggravated Assault is a misdemeanor for instance and so on. Michigan also has no such thing as Summary Offences. I recall a test question asked the penalty of snow blew off your car and hit a pedestrian etc-, you either know that or you dont. Not sure what year you took it but I was told by the proctor in Harrisburg that they made it harder because nobody was failing basically. I think with the classifications of crimes being so different it would be foolish to not at least spend a few days hitting the books. Just my opinion though.

              I took the exam in 2009. Every states laws are different. The test that they give out of state officers is the same as the final exam for PA academy graduates. Sure you might miss a few state specific questions but I don't believe enough to make you fail. My point to the original poster was don't let it drive you crazy.My post was not meant to insult you. Not trying to get into a ****ing match, just giving my opinion.

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh I didn't take it that way (P match) at all, don't remember if you recall but we actually chatted online before I took the test. I agree that he shouldn't stress at all, but there were some questions that were so out of the ballpark by Michigan standards that I was glad I studied. have a good one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the info guys, and the message IPRanger.
                  I assume that the test must be taken in person in PA, what else will I need to do to get certifiable under MPOETC? Will I just get a letter in the mail and at that point I can start applying in PA?
                  I'm trying to plan things ahead, and getting time off of work to drive will be challenging.
                  Last edited by masakari; 07-22-2014, 07:12 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They will send you a letter but you can usually call a couple hours after the test and they will let you know. Once you have passed the test you have two years to get hired or you will have to start the process all over again. You do not get a MPOETC card with your number till after you are hired.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I know your searching around the Pittsburg area, I'm not sure if you need full time or can start doing a part time gig first but I've been seeing a ton of part time positions near Pittsburg. A guy on the PA forum named "Firefighter-EMT" does a very up to date list under the heading "Info for anyone looking for a job". I also subscribed to job updates from "Indeed" and "Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police" (which lists quite a few jobs).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Unfortunately you will has to take a lot of the hiring tests in person. Each department could be different though. Your best bet is to call the major departments and see how they'd handle it. Allegheny county and Pittsburgh city both have recruiting offices I'd imagine. Also try State Police. You'd have to do the academy again but with your military and experience you'd be a good candidate anywhere you go.

                        Good luck.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
                        Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
                        Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah part time is not an option. But I will continue to pay attention to that thread about hirings.
                          As far as location, when I say Pittsburgh area, I mean within 2 hrs or so of the city... So surrounding counties or areas are totally fine.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 3978 users online. 257 members and 3721 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X