300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia PD questions.

I am a police officer in the Houston area looking to move back home to the East coast. I am very interested in Philadelphia PD as I like working for a big city. I skimmed through the other post, but didn't find an answer for the few questions I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) How many officers is Philadelphia currently (2014) hiring? Is it only a few slots or is this a very large hiring phase?

2) What is the typical schedule for a patrol officer? Is it 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts? Two or three days off?

3) Is it absolutely mandatory that all officers must live within the city of Philadelphia or can one live in the suburbs?

4) How is overtime? Can one make a decent living 60k + with Philadelphia PD?

5) How difficult is their background process? Are they extremely selective??

6) Is the academy live in or do you go home at the end of the day? How difficult is the academy? I am 34, would I be considered "old?"

7) How intense if FTO?

Thank in advance for any help offered.

Matt

I had just left the city a few months ago, so not much has changed....

1) How many officers is Philadelphia currently (2014) hiring? Is it only a few slots or is this a very large hiring phase?
    They've been pumping out alot of classes the last few years very regularly. Classes of about 50ish. Which isn't alot of guys, but it's
    consistent.
    2) What is the typical schedule for a patrol officer? Is it 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts? Two or three days off?
    Key Word "typical" is 5 on, 2 off, 4 on 2 off with rotating days off and rotating 8a-4p and 4p-12a every two weeks. That is typical.

Last out is steady last out so if your new or want nights, chances are you'll get it with rotating days off. There is also drop back shift,
    steady hours 8p-4 a with rotating days off. 5 squad works two weeks of 6p-2a and then a week of day work, only sundays and
    mondays off. Then you'll have those hooked up people and units that are Monday-Friday 9-5.

3) Is it absolutely mandatory that all officers must live within the city of Philadelphia or can one live in the suburbs?
    For your first five years, yes.

4) How is overtime? Can one make a decent living 60k + with Philadelphia PD?
    Overtimes varies greatly depending on your district. But, if you work there is always court. That is how they make there money. Collars
    for dollars. I made 67k my last year on the job and wasn't maxed out before I left departments.

5) How difficult is their background process? Are they extremely selective??
    It's stupid. I know good people some with degrees, LE experience, military special operations experience, etc who for some BS reasons
    have "failed the PT", or "failed the poly". Then you'll have people with arrest records get it. But they get lots of good dudes too.

6) Is the academy live in or do you go home at the end of the day? How difficult is the academy? I am 34, would I be considered "old?"
    Not a live in academy, you do your 8 and roll. It's not rocket science I'll put it that way. You'll get people from 19-40's. (may be 21 to
    get in now?) I'd venture a guess to say you'll probably be slightly older but not by much. Mostly dudes in the 20's.

7) How intense if FTO?
    What FTO? I rode with a dude for 3 days and that was it haha.

Thank in advance for any help offered.

Matt[/QUOTE]
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Comment

ERmedic, I sent you a private message.

Comment

Instead of FTO, you will be walking a foot beat after you graduate the academy. The length of your footbeat varies drastically depending on what district you get sent to. Some people from my Academy class only walked for a few weeks, others walked for over 7 months. The good side is you won't have someone breathing down your neck all day, the down side is you will be walking in sweltering heat/ record cold, rain, snow, etc. and have to stuff your pockets and hat with your ticketbooks/paperwork which they will expect you to turn in in a timely manner, even if your beat is a mile walk from the district.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3972 users online. 216 members and 3756 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X