Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Service Credit in SERS (PA)

Anyone have any experience purchasing service credit in SERS? I have done extensive research as well as called SERS several times myself, with little success. Has anyone purchased time for out of state service as a police officer or military time? Per the member handbook you can buy time for out of state teaching time - but it does not say anything else related to non-teaching service? I also have not been able to get an answer as to the cost of purchasing said service...?

Thanks in advance.

Actually just got a call back from SERS. Guess you can't buy out of state police service. Bummer...
    Last edited by Whitty; 06-30-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

This is what is whacky about PA. Public school teachers pay into the state pension system; however, most municipal employees including police officers pensions are administered by the municipality that employes them. The state FOP is working with law makers to allow police officers to pay into the state system. We will see how that goes. I am all for a state pension system for the police.

Comment

Originally posted by PPDSWD View Post
        This is what is whacky about PA. Public school teachers pay into the state pension system; however, most municipal employees including police officers pensions are administered by the municipality that employes them. The state FOP is working with law makers to allow police officers to pay into the state system. We will see how that goes. I am all for a state pension system for the police.
        Its not a universal system, but PA Police are eligible to participate in PMRS. Its up to your union and employer to get into it through. We are going through it in my department right now.

Edit to include: PMRS meaning Pennsylvania Municipal Retirement System.
        West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
        Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
        Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

Arent PSU and PASSHE employees in PSERS rather than PMRS? I have an offer with another job (its funded by both PSU and DoD) and Id be in PSERS as a part time employee.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Orlando - PSERS is what PSU is covered by. Regular formula - no special law enforcement exception.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5871 users online. 328 members and 5543 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X