300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Dept.

Does anyone here in PA have experience with regional departments either forming or disbanding, or even just the general practice of them. There's a big regional in my county that seems to work great. My local municipality is doing a study right now to see if they should form a regional with the surrounding municipalities.

The idea sounds great to me if it can be worked out correctly, although I am concerned that if it doesn't turn out to be what one of the towns is looking for that it will disband in a few short years and we'd be **** outta luck with our jobs.
    West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
    Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
    Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

I hear WEGO is trying to add another township

Comment

There was talk about WEGO having another dept but that was all just political talk. WEGO and the other dept have both just hired more FT guys.

I agree with you about regionalization being the sensible way, I just hope the towns can get their business together and make it work.
      West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
      Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
      Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

It all boils down to politics.

Comment

One of the problems is that, due to politics and cost, most regional departments that I am aware of are usually only comprised of two or three municipalities, and many of those are just as small and lacking in resources as if it covered only a single town. I can understand if you had, say, five towns with only about 5 to 10 officers on each of their PDs and you merged their departments into a 20-40 man regional department. Now you have a department large and (presumably) well funded enough to increase your civilian to officer ratio and have specialized services. However, it seems like most of the regional departments are one or two very small municipalities, still with under 10 officers. The politics suck; Central Bucks Regional Police was going to be a pretty big department with at one point I believe seven municipalities signed on. But everyone had a pet project and different reasons to drop out, and now there are only two municipalities they cover (Doylestown and New Britain boroughs) and they aren't even directly adjacent.

But as The Tick said, while larger regionalized agencies do make a lot more sense then every little borough and podunk township having their own tiny department, it's still just a distraction from the biggest bit of ridiculousness: PA's almost unexplainable resistance to either giving the sheriffs offices general law enforcement duties, or forming county police forces. I understand that in most states there's a great number of unincorporated parts of counties, and that requires county-level law enforcement. But both New York and New Jersey are fully incorporated and both states have county-level law enforcement, in New Jersey a few counties, and in New York nearly all of them. Both have many towns that either defer to or contract with the county law enforcement agency for police services.

Hopefully something along those lines will be done, because the current system severely limits most small municipal departments and puts too much responsibility on the State Police, which really spreads them thin and increases response times greatly.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

Looks like Michigan State University has a Program on Police Consolidation and Shared Services.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6079 users online. 324 members and 5755 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X