300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSP May 2011 Exam

Hey guys. Didn't see a thread on the test that is coming up for PSP next month (May). Who else is taking the exam?

Anyone have an idea of if you score well on it, now long it takes to process through to get to an academy and what score has the exam gone down to, to get into an academy before the scores expire?

Thanks!

Most of us currently processing for the academy submitted applications from about January 2009 to August 2009. The written and oral portions were complete at or around October 2009 and the first group didn't get invited for PRT till about October 2010. Some of us from that group made it to appointment and just received their letters this week (May 2011). As far as the numerical test score I don't have an answer. There is a cut off but I think it also has to do with how many took the exam as well as the score. As of now they have exhausted the current eligibility list and are giving a new written exam. Hope that helps.

Comment

I will be taking the written May 2. I would say just look at the study guide and do your best. Not much you can study but for those who have been out of school for a while and not testing the techniques will help you approach the problems. As far as scores I would say top 600 will be processed first however most guys don't continue to process just take the exam and some fail prt and poly so it's really anybody's game. As far as academy goes I would say earliest is Jan 12. That's with a no hiccup process which is unheard of as farcas the last few classes with PSP.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Last edited by Honda Hunter; 05-15-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I have decided to fly to NY from Vegas and take the test at my old college: John Jay. I really would love to move back east and live in Pennsylvania. I have a few questions maybe some of you guys can help me with. What troops do new troopers usually get sent to? Also is there such thing as getting accepted to the academy and then deffering to the next class? I am getting married May 2012 and would not be able to change that date due to the committment to the resort. After that I am a go for whatever and wherever. lol.

How is the job market in PA for lawyers? My fiance will be finishing law school sometime in 2013-14. She would love to get back east as well as we are both from NY. By the time I was done with academy/field training/probation, she would just be graduating. In PSP, what is the majority of patrol duties: Traffic/Calls for service/accidents? It doesnt really matter to me but in Vegas, we are more of an Urban dept. so it would be a change for sure, which I am very open to. I love patrol and have no desire to be a detective, being a street cop/road cop is the best job in the world. I also love the fact that PSP has a corporal position. How is the morale/equipment/training in the PSP? It is a big move to make especially given the state of most economies. It would really suck to get accepted to PSP and then a year later get laid off. Well that is enough rambling, and I hope to get some feedback from you guys. Everyone be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by jimlv View Post
            In PSP, what is the majority of patrol duties: Traffic/Calls for service/accidents? It doesnt really matter to me but in Vegas, we are more of an Urban dept. so it would be a change for sure, which I am very open to. I love patrol and have no desire to be a detective, being a street cop/road cop is the best job in the world. I also love the fact that PSP has a corporal position. How is the morale/equipment/training in the PSP? It is a big move to make especially given the state of most economies. It would really suck to get accepted to PSP and then a year later get laid off. Well that is enough rambling, and I hope to get some feedback from you guys. Everyone be safe!
            The type of calls you respond to depends on where you get stationed. The Turnpike Troop (Troop T) is mainly traffic enforcement and crash investigation, however they do respond to criminal calls that may occur on the Turnpike. Certain county Troops, like Troop K Philadelphia HQ, are also primarily traffic-based. The majority of stations cover some municipalities both part-time and full-time, especially those in more rural areas. Since PSP is the only police agency in those areas, you will respond to any criminal or traffic incident that occurs. Many smaller departments are being disbanded by municipalities, so full-time PSP police coverage is expanding yearly.

As far as equipment, I have noticed a huge improvement over the past 5-10 years. Of course there will always be those who complain about these things, but I personally feel that PSP has very good equipment and training. Weapons, vehicles, and computer technology have improved greatly in recent years, despite shrinking budgets.

The risk of being laid off is pretty much nonexistent. There are many, many retirements expected in the next few years, and it will be a challenge just to keep the complement up to mandated numbers. As far as I know there has never been layoffs from the department. Our new governor has increased funding for PSP in anticipation of pending retirements (as well as the high number of vacancies that currently exist).

Comment

Great response, and thanks you for input. Another question is about promotions. How long before you can promote and what is the process. Are the supervisors stuck in the station or are they out in the field with the troops. The one thing and pretty much the only thing great about vegas is the LVMPD. Supervisors are great, they support the troops and the department pretty much has a take no BS attitude from anyone. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but as a whole it is a great agency, and hopefully PSP is similar. Also how much gets taken out of a paycheck for retirement. We don't pay into retirement here, the department actually picks that up, but the state employees do. For example, my fiance works in the prison and they take out almost 800 dollars a paycheck for retirement. How does that work in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlv View Post
                Great response, and thanks you for input. Another question is about promotions. How long before you can promote and what is the process. Are the supervisors stuck in the station or are they out in the field with the troops. The one thing and pretty much the only thing great about vegas is the LVMPD. Supervisors are great, they support the troops and the department pretty much has a take no BS attitude from anyone. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but as a whole it is a great agency, and hopefully PSP is similar. Also how much gets taken out of a paycheck for retirement. We don't pay into retirement here, the department actually picks that up, but the state employees do. For example, my fiance works in the prison and they take out almost 800 dollars a paycheck for retirement. How does that work in PA.
                We get people from everywhere now that PA residency isn't a requirement to apply; and from various departments, to include Troopers from other states. Nobody really cares as you will be treated the same as everybody else. I say this only so you have an idea upfront that LVMPD isn't PSP so it means, nothing.

It's changed over the years but I believe it's 4 yrs time in grade to test and 5 yrs to get promoted (This may not be accurate but ballparks you). Written/oral combined for ranking statewide.

Supervisors going on the road is dependent upon the individual supervisor. Troops work alone and without supervision, cover too much area, so if you are envisioning a supervisor showing up to one of our incidents, it's rare and won't last long because the guys won't put up with it-especially senior guys and most supervisors know their place. Our job is truly without supervision for 8 hours every shift. Naturally death investigations and the like a supv will show up.

Lay hands on with paper and you pretty much will be backed all day long. Pursuits, all day long typically.

I believe it's 6% but this will increase supposedly for all new hires after June 2012? Full meds for yourself/spouse/children up tp 18 or higher if full time student, at 25yrs it's 75% of your highest one
                yr or at 20 yrs it's 50% of your highest one yr and the full medical benefits.

Comment

Thanks for all the information, guys. Does anyone know what the salary looks like after 5 years?

Comment

Google this - pa state police pay scale 2011

There is a pdf

Originally posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
                    Thanks for all the information, guys. Does anyone know what the salary looks like after 5 years?

Comment

I am fully aware that my time somewhere else means nothing, and am fully aware that the academy is extremely hard and if not harder for someone with prior service because we are used to doing things a different way. With that said, Pennsylvania is looking better and better and better every day. Getting back east would be awesome, and with an ageency similar to PSP what better place to work. Now if I can get a good score on that damn test, now we are talkiing.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I'll be taking the test in NYC.

Comment

Is there really a swimming portion or requierment phase that one must successfully pass in the academy?
                          Last edited by NYPDHOPEFULLY; 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM. Reason: type-o
                          "One day, I'm going to get hired by some police agency some where." God Help Me!!

Comment

Yep. Go to patrooper.com and look at the video link at the top. Have to tread water for a period of time and rescue a person or some deal like that. I believe you also swim on days you don't run.

Comment

Please start swimming..I can still remember when my son said how was it possible to be almost sweating in a pool of water..they really work you in the tank.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3189 users online. 144 members and 3045 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X