Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PA Depts that will train you/pay for your MPOETC

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PA Depts that will train you/pay for your MPOETC

    Does anyone know of any dept's, preferably in Eastern or Central PA that will pay for your training other than Philadelphia? I would love to get working in Law Enforcement...but I have student loans from my bachelors degree as well as other bills that I am paying which prevent me from quitting my job and paying my way through an ACT120 program.

  • #2
    That's wishful thinking - although years ago most depts would pay your way through the academy upon successful competition of their entry requirements. Anymore, the local depts especially in Bucks and Montgomery Counties require you to either be enrolled or have your Act 120 completed. Most people are now self-sponsoring, myself included. To me, waiting around for a dept to hire that will put you through, is few and far between. I too have student loans out the wazoo from college, but I still applied for a grants, resigned from my last job and will be starting the Academy in June. If you truly want a career in LE, be prepared to completely dedicate yourself and there will be alot of sacrifices but the reward in the end is so worth it. Some Academies offer PT programs as well, but they are like a year long. Good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, I have considered the PT academy...but it would just be too long to be burning the candle at both ends. As of right now I'm going to put 6 more months into State/Federal applications and see if anything goes anywhere....if not I suppose I will have to find the money to pay for MORE school to MAYBE get a job...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JimT View Post
        Yes, I have considered the PT academy...but it would just be too long to be burning the candle at both ends. As of right now I'm going to put 6 more months into State/Federal applications and see if anything goes anywhere....if not I suppose I will have to find the money to pay for MORE school to MAYBE get a job...
        What depts have you applied to so far? Your best bet to get in fast is Texas DPS or Nashville Metro. West Virginia State Police and New Mexico State Police are hiring right now also.
        Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009

        Comment


        • #5
          Personally, I think anyone who is contemplating self sponsering themselves through a Pennsylvania academy today should have something else to offer, i.e. military, college, e.m.t., be a township supervisor's or borough/city councilman's son/daughter, etc. There are way too many candidates who will probably never get jobs as police because of the amount of people applying. If you are that serious about it though, just apply for college loans and stack it on top of your existing debt. Financial aid is available to pay your way through the academy at the community colleges. Again though, the hope of getting a police job to pay it off may not be practical for everyone.

          Comment


          • #6
            ALSO - Temple is hiring for campus police officer recruits - they WILL put you through so check that out as well.
            and yes having something to offer along with your desire to work in the field def helps.

            Comment


            • #7
              I already have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice, does that change anyone's recommendations? As far a University Police jobs go, I'd really rather not...I would "settle" for a municipal job if I could get trained, but I really cannot justify spending MORE money on schooling without the guarantee of employment afterward. I was hoping to remain within a few hours of Northeast PA, due to having a long term gf who still has 2 years of school left for her doctorate.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JimT View Post
                I already have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice, does that change anyone's recommendations? As far a University Police jobs go, I'd really rather not...I would "settle" for a municipal job if I could get trained, but I really cannot justify spending MORE money on schooling without the guarantee of employment afterward. I was hoping to remain within a few hours of Northeast PA, due to having a long term gf who still has 2 years of school left for her doctorate.
                Should of done something else in school. Sometimes beggars cant be choosers and in this case I dont think you will get what you want without bringing a 120 to the plate.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

                Comment


                • #9
                  A criminal justic degree is better then someone without one, but when you test with sometimes 100s of people for 1 position, your chances are slim. If you do not want to work for a University Dept., or cannot justify spending more money on schooling without the guarantee of employment afterward, I'd say that PA law enforcement is not for you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JimT View Post
                    I already have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice, does that change anyone's recommendations? As far a University Police jobs go, I'd really rather not...I would "settle" for a municipal job if I could get trained, but I really cannot justify spending MORE money on schooling without the guarantee of employment afterward. I was hoping to remain within a few hours of Northeast PA, due to having a long term gf who still has 2 years of school left for her doctorate.
                    Well gee, no one wants you to have to "settle for a municiple job" oh the horror!

                    You have gotten some really GREAT advice thus far but you just aren't hearing what you want to hear. The truth is Criminal Justice Degree's are a dime a dozen. There are TONS of qualified people that have HAVE the degree and HAVE self-sponsored that can't get a job or a full time job. It is basically supply and demand. There are lots of applicants but very few jobs. Many take part time work just to be able to work in Law Enforcement and get their foot in the door.

                    If you want some really blunt advice, you really need to re-think your "plan". There are absolutely ZERO guarentees to get a job in Law Enforcement. You can take the gamble and pay for it yourself, go back to school, find another career path or realize that sometimes people do whatever it takes to TRY to get where they really want to go.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                      Should of done something else in school. Sometimes beggars cant be choosers and in this case I dont think you will get what you want without bringing a 120 to the plate.

                      +1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JS562466 View Post
                        A criminal justic degree is better then someone without one, but when you test with sometimes 100s of people for 1 position, your chances are slim. If you do not want to work for a University Dept., or cannot justify spending more money on schooling without the guarantee of employment afterward, I'd say that PA law enforcement is not for you.
                        Amen!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Baysidegal, no offense on the municipal comment...To clarify: what I meant was "settle" for taking part time work to get my foot in the door after the 120 program. I am not looking to ruffle any feathers here. I am more than willing to put in my due time and do what I have to in order to get a career going including sponsoring myself for the act120 and accepting part time work....but I find myself slightly disheartened from time to time when I realize that I owe 30k in loans for a degree which is apparently useless and "dime a dozen".

                          I apologize if I have pis*ed anyone off here, I am just looking for some input/advice from other people in similar situations. I started this thread thinking maybe there were some departments that would hire you AND train you, but I suppose that I knew that no such thing existed that I have not already found. If worse comes to worse I will move out of the area to find work but I was hoping to stay local. My application for PSP seems to recently been given a new breath of life and is actually moving along so perhaps all is not lost in the great state of Pennsylvania!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Jim, if your ultimate goal is some type of Law Enforcement job you have to start somewhere. You have to ask yourself what sacrafices you are willing to make and how bad do you want to do this type of work? Law enforcement jobs are not immune to the economy. Even the departments that will hire and train you have strings attached and have a LOT of people applying. I just find it very strange that there seems to be some misconception that someone with a CJ degree is going to get snatched up like a NFL draft pick. (If that analogy is correct???LOL) It can't hurt you to have it but just that by itself is pretty much what Orlando said and won't make you stand out more then the other 2,000 that have the same credentials as you.

                            You also need to ask yourself what else is out there? Do some research and some leg work. You also may not have meant to sound like you were putting down but that is the way it comes off. You MIGHT want to work on a better way to communicate your answers. This could be a make you or break you skill.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JimT View Post
                              My application for PSP seems to recently been given a new breath of life and is actually moving along so perhaps all is not lost in the great state of Pennsylvania!
                              Just FYI if you didn't know already; PSP will send you anywhere in the state that they need you for at least three years. That's after six months at their live in academy in Hershey. So staying local might not be an option there. But who know, you might get lucky! Keep up the hope and maybe something will work out.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2715 users online. 150 members and 2565 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X