300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 new Majors

I see that today the new Commish promoted 8 new Majors and approved transfers of several others. I only have one question, I know what an area commander does, but what the hell does a Regional Executive Officer (Major) for area command do? Never saw in my career when 8 Captains were promoted to Major in one day.

PSPRoadDog, PM sent.

Comment

8 Majors sets a chain reaction into motion for many many promotions down through the ranks. I guess it's good news for guys on the Cpl and Sgt lists, considering so few promotions were made in the last few years.

Comment

Can I ask the PA Troopers how long does it take for a Trooper (based on experience and performance) to work your way up to criminal investigator?
        "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

There is no set time frame for a move into criminal investigations. I've seen troopers just off probation get crime slots and I've seen situations where troopers with 10 years on really never had a opportunity to get into a crime unit. Within certain guidelines each troop (except Troop T) develops their own criteria for deteriming the selection process for specialized duty positions, such as criminal investigator, forensic services, vice, vehicle fraud, etc.
          When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

I saw this as possibly an opportunity to start trimming down a little on the officer corps. I believe we are top heavy enough and this would have been a good starting point. Just seems to me that we certainly don't need all of these Majors.

Comment

Originally posted by PABear31 View Post
              There is no set time frame for a move into criminal investigations. I've seen troopers just off probation get crime slots and I've seen situations where troopers with 10 years on really never had a opportunity to get into a crime unit. Within certain guidelines each troop (except Troop T) develops their own criteria for deteriming the selection process for specialized duty positions, such as criminal investigator, forensic services, vice, vehicle fraud, etc.
              Thank You, Sir
              "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Dawg. PM sent.

Comment

How many of the new Majors are filling vacancies and how many are new major slots?

Other than making a nice neat chain of command, I never really saw the rationale behind area commands. The Department has always allowed Captains almost automous control over his troop. If a Captain screwed up he was called on the carpet by the Commissioner directly. I never saw an area Special Order so I never knew quite what an Area Commander really did.
                  When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

So far as I could tell, there are two new positions. The two are Majors who will be overseeing the other area command Majors. PABear, when you came on the job there were probably less than ten in the state. When I came on I believe there were twelve and now I think they are over twenty. If they whittled it down, they probably could have saved enough money to put through a cadet class.

Comment

When I came on there was only one Deputy Commissioner but there was also a Lt. Col. who was a "full member" of the Department who oversaw all actual police functions, Bureau of Patrol, Bureau of Criminal Investigations, etc. The Deputy Commissioner was responsible for administrative and support functions.

I've seen the Department use promotion to Major and assignment to a Bureau command as a way to hide Captains that ticked off a Commissioner or Deputy in one way or another. But the assignment of Regional Executive Officers seems really blatant. Oh well, that's internal politics for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6053 users online. 344 members and 5709 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X