300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Police required to show id?

In Pennsylvania, are police required to show ID if they are already in uniform?
    Firefighters tease cops, cops tease firefighters, it's the natural order of things!

No. And Troopers don't wear badges on our uniforms.

Comment

Cool, thanks, I didn't think they were and it seems redundant to wearing a uniform with a name tag already on it.
      Firefighters tease cops, cops tease firefighters, it's the natural order of things!

Comment

Originally posted by ten08
        State Police were actually a militia, thus no badge.
        I'm throwing the BS card on this one.

The State Police are not now and never were a militia. When the State Police was established, Col. John C Grooms was tasked by Governor Pennypacker to determine the form that the agency would take. He travelled to europe to study policing there. Col. Grooms decided that policing in Pennsylvania was most like policing in Ireland and modeled the State Police after the Royal Irish Constabulary. He copied their methods right down to their uniforms including their "Bobby" style helmets. British police officers wore their badges on their helmets, so did the PA State Police. Because Grooms had been a cavalry officer before his appointment as the first State Police Superintendant and the State Police were to use horses as their primary means of transportation around the state he adopted terms and ranks of the US Cavalry for his unprecidented new police force. By the time the force modernized the uniform and adopted the current campaign hats not wearing a badge had become a tradition. Several other State Police agencies (that were modeled on the PSP) also don't wear badges on their uniforms. As a young trooper I was taught that when in uniform that my patches were my sign of authority.
        When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, although they are similar, the Keystone was associated with Pennsylvania, not just the 28th Division. The first State Police patch was used from 1920-1937 and was no way similar to the Keystone patch. The Pennsylvania State Highway Patrol used a Keystone from 1923-1937. They were then combined in 1937.

I think the use of the Keystone patch was more about an iconic symbol of PA than being associated with the military.

Comment

as a police officer is pa.. my badge on my uniform is my id. I have never been asked to show any other ID while I am on duty. When I am in plain clothes on a detail and a situation arises and I stated out loud "POLICE and pulled my ID ( Badge ) that was covered by clothing from around my neck, no one still questioned me.. I can't think of a time off duty, when I used my badge/wallet for a purpose and someone ( public or police ) questioned me also.. If I arrived on a job ( call ) and someone ID them selves as off - duty police to me, I will never question another cop or profession in LEO unless there is something fishy as hell for me to think he/her is lieing! I would expect the same thing back.. That also includes in uniform too!

Comment

The similarity between the PA National Guard's bloody bucket and the patch of the state police is what led you to definitively state that the State Police was a militia? The nickname of the "Keystone State" goes back to long before either the 28th Division or the the State Police were created. You stated that you had limited contact with and very little knowledge about the State Police but yet made statements about the Department's creation and function that were patently untrue. That is the very essence of BS. This isn't the first time that you've made erroneous statements about law enforcement in PA.
              When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Don't put too much effort into this guys. This was result of eaves dropping on an out of state conversation in a bar. It just got me curious about how things work in Pa. Personally if I see a uniformed officer I can see he or she is a cop and I know I will find their name over their right tit.

Drunk people are funny! Sometimes I am funny!

I do however believe if the officer is an UN-uniformed officer they should provide an actual photo ID card with their name. The simple showing of a badge is sufficient for fast identification but If I have need to notify their chief of concern or commendation I really do need to know who they are.

I get a kick out of the YouTube videos where the officer refuses to give their name when asked or just points to their name badge. I want to go up to those officers and ask if they are embarrassed of their family name or are scared of the requester.
                But I guess that's easy for me to ask as I have not walked a mile in their shoes.

Comment

Don't mean to be rude here and question you guys, as I am not an LEO (yet). But can't anyone just go online and buy a badge? I would think the ID Card is the only true way to verify a person as an LEO. Is this true and what do you guys think?
                  "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by ERMedic View Post
                    Don't mean to be rude here and question you guys, as I am not an LEO (yet). But can't anyone just go online and buy a badge? I would think the ID Card is the only true way to verify a person as an LEO. Is this true and what do you guys think?
                    Yes, someone could purchase a fraudulent badge... just as they could purchase a fraudulent ID card... just as they could purchase a fraudulent drivers license... just as, well, you get the picture. Point is, you could go on forever with "proving" or "verifying" that they are a LEO. People need to use common sense.

If someone pulls up in a cruiser with lights, that has PA STATE TROOPER or POLICE written all over it, steps out in complete uniform, including a gun belt, which contains a police radio that is squawking with police chatter in the county, and casually walks up to your car and says "Sir, I'm Tpr. XXXX with the Pennsylvania State Police, do you have your license, registration, and proof of insurance".... then I think it's safe to say they're legit. And see... there wasn't even any need for the officer to display a badge or ID.

To answer the original question in this thread... no, police in PA aren't required to show ID if they're already in uniform. Wanting to see ID is your problem, not mine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3395 users online. 203 members and 3192 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X