Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering to pay my way through HAAC - Opinions ??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering to pay my way through HAAC - Opinions ??

I'm active duty Army set to retire in May 2011. I'm exploring the option of using my GI Bill to pay for the academy. My question is this : Those of you that paid your way, did you find it easier to get picked up by a department ? I understand it is not a guarantee.
    My immediate issue is not earning a paycheck while attending, as my retirement will not be enough to make ends meet, even while receiving BAH from the GI Bill. I've dropped my name in the hat for Lancaster/Manheim and I'm very much looking forward to this coming Saturday.

For what it's worth here is a little background info. Thank you all for your responses and any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Infantry background - Currently an Instructor creating the future leaders/Officers
    B.A. Homeland Security - *May 2011
    No criminal record- Never had a speeding ticket
    Last edited by screamneagle68; 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM.

Originally posted by screamneagle68 View Post
    I'm active duty Army set to retire in May 2011. I'm exploring the option of using my GI Bill to pay for the academy. My question is this : Those of you that paid your way, did you find it easier to get picked up by a department ? I understand it is not a guarantee.
    My immediate issue is not earning a paycheck while attending, as my retirement will not be enough to make ends meet, even while receiving BAH from the GI Bill. I've dropped my name in the hat for Lancaster/Manheim and I'm very much looking forward to this coming Saturday.

For what it's worth here is a little background info. Thank you all for your responses and any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Infantry background - Currently an Instructor creating the future leaders/Officers
    B.A. Homeland Security - *May 2011
    No criminal record- Never had a speeding ticket
    Try applying to Lancaster Parks as a ranger. Only require a 235 and do the part time academy.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I attended the HACC academy in 05. I was fortunate enough to have my current department to sponsor me, but we did have quite a few pre-service guys in our class. By 1 month after our academy, they all had jobs. Departments love it when a candidate is already certified......I would look into the Part-time academy. They call it the "modular" academy. It takes a year to complete, but it is only like 3 or 4 days a week, so you can work during the week to pay bills......

Good luck

Comment

Part timer from Hacc graduated Dec 10th 2010. You can def. work during the weeks while attending part time academy. Just understand it will be a LONG year and lots of sacrifices to be made. We had an awesome class of all Pre-service and i think 4 are hired out of 18. It's really tough to get a job these days, Act 120 or not. You do have the Vet. points that will work to your advantage for sure so i say go for it!

Comment

I tell anybody that is serious about policing in PA to goto the academy on your own if possibly. Less and less departments are willing to sponsor you through the academy. Many departments require you to have 120 to even apply. Sure, the bigger departments will sponsor you, but you're competing against hundreds for 5 jobs. Lancaster/Manheim tested a year ago and I'm not sure if they even hired anybody. Get the ball rolling for yourself and goto the academy. You won't regret it.
          West Chester University B.S. Criminal Justice: May 2009
          Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009
          Full time Patrolman in Chester County, PA.

Comment

As a veteran I can tell you first get your VA disability done. Rules have changed and you can start doing your VA disability claim now, the physical by the VA will count as your retirement physical. It is very important to get that disability determination letter. If you are rated at 10% or higher you can actually get the VA to pay for self sponsored police academy 100% without using your G.I. Bill through Vocational Rehabilitation. Post 9/11 G.I. Bill has just recently been changed to allow for vocational schools. Not sure if police academy qualifies, but under the Montgomery G.I. Bill it does but it depends on the agency's academy.
            The link is for VOCREHAB through VA.
            http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/index.htm
            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Thank you to all that have replied. I appreciate all of the information. Maybe the stars and planets will align and I'll get lucky. Today's PT test, and written test went well, fingers are crossed. There was a large turnout today and many of them were either Act 120 certified, or currently in an academy. Competition will be tight.

As for paying my way through the academy at HAAC, looks like the only way I will be able to do that is if go part time. Problem is, the part time started in January and it will be next year before the next one starts. I would love to be able to go full time in July, but I still have to earn a living. Good luck to everyone who tested today.

Comment

Originally posted by screamneagle68 View Post
                Thank you to all that have replied. I appreciate all of the information. Maybe the stars and planets will align and I'll get lucky. Today's PT test, and written test went well, fingers are crossed. There was a large turnout today and many of them were either Act 120 certified, or currently in an academy. Competition will be tight.

As for paying my way through the academy at HAAC, looks like the only way I will be able to do that is if go part time. Problem is, the part time started in January and it will be next year before the next one starts. I would love to be able to go full time in July, but I still have to earn a living. Good luck to everyone who tested today.
                If you're set to retire in 2011 you should be
                1. utilizing your 20 day house hunting job hunting no cost orders
                2. using your leave balance for job hunting. when I retired I had 60 days leave on the books plus the 20 days no cost tad for house/job hunting to use.
                3. Doing your retirement physical and getting your VA disability physical going so you get a rating by the time you retire. in actually you should have started that in December.
                4. attend R-TAP
                GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

GIOSTORMUSNRET ,

I am doing everything you mentioned already... bought my house last year. I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. I'll find out at the end of the month the % of disability if any. I've been job hunting for well over a month now and it's ugly out there. I'm going to look into exelon at TMI and Lancaster county prison. All I want to do is continue working in a professional environment that will open doors and lead to a fullfilling second career.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5548 users online. 298 members and 5250 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X