300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single mother rookies

Any single mothers care to post their experience from the begining of the recruit process to end?

I am not a single mother or female for that matter but I know this: You will be viewed as a Cadet while in the academy and no one will care whether you have a child or not. Your contact with family & friends will be limited for your duration at the academy. Your contact with family and friends will be limited while on FTO. Your contact with family and friends will be limited after FTO due to the schedule, which is like no other. If you want it bad enough and have a good support network in place than you will be able to provide an above average standard of living for yourself and child(children) both pre and post employment. Good luck.

Comment

Well said tp - I worked as a CO and that is exactly what it was like especially when working mandatory doubles! I am a single mother Honda, and I am starting the Academy in June - it is something that I have wanted for over 15yrs, my kids have seen me struggle trying to make this dream a reality, and it is finally starting to form. It definitely shows that if you want something bad enough and work hard enough you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Good Luck!

Comment

(not a s/m)You will have some night training while in the Police Academy. They normally give you notice to when that training will be. You may want to find a good reliable sitter and emergency person for your children to call or stay with. You won't be able to have your cell on your person during your training.

When you graduate you may also need to make alternative arrangements. There may be times when you are called in early, held over with absolutely no notice and days off could be canceled. There are certain events you will probably have to try to arrange a long term sitter in advance or at the last minute because most of the time the Police Department will give you little to zero notice for the schedule for the event.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
          (not a s/m)You will have some night training while in the Police Academy. They normally give you notice to when that training will be. You may want to find a good reliable sitter and emergency person for your children to call or stay with. You won't be able to have your cell on your person during your training.

When you graduate you may also need to make alternative arrangements. There may be times when you are called in early, held over with absolutely no notice and days off could be canceled. There are certain events you will probably have to try to arrange a long term sitter in advance or at the last minute because most of the time the Police Department will give you little to zero notice for the schedule for the event.
          and let's not forget an arrest 30 minutes before you shift is over.....for a part-one could be 2 hours right there.....asked to hold a crime scene? same. a DUI maybe more.....

Comment

Well that is why I included the "held over with absolutely no notice". However I thought there weren't supposed to be arrests 30 minutes before the tour ends, jobs and crimes scenes to be turned over to next shift (can't have anyone making too much overtime these days right?? LOL)
            You have to be aware that the unexpected can happen. There are some jobs that you will have no choice but to stay over your tour to work. There are some responsibilities that cannot be turned over or wait until the next shift. You may also get stuck on a detail and your relief might be late getting to you. Just some things to keep.

Comment

Agreed. Expect the unexpected - you really have to know what your getting into in this line of work, after working as a CO nothing surprises me, my kids are a little older and I have my families support. I'm very fortunate.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info. Pretty much what I expected but not worst than my current situation so I should be able to make it work. My kid is a young teenager so that's makes it a little easier and harder at the same time. At least I have her full support in this new venture which helps a lot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6018 users online. 302 members and 5716 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X