• Show
Clear All

• White cop disciplined over cornrows files rights complaint

White cop disciplined over cornrows files rights complaint
    Sat Nov 07, 2009

By DAVID GAMBACORTA & DANA DIFILIPPO
    Philadelphia Daily News

[email protected] 215-854-5994

Looks like we haven't heard the last of Thomas Strain, the white Philadelphia cop who generated national headlines when he was taken off the streets for two days in September because he showed up to work with cornrows.

The officer's attorney, Tom Holland, said yesterday that an official complaint was filed on Strain's behalf with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission on Oct. 26.

The complaint alleges that the Police Department and Inspector Aaron Horne, who put Strain on desk duty on Sept. 3 until he agreed to cut his hair a few days later, violated the state Human Relations Act by discriminating against Strain because he's white - and engaged to a black woman.

"He was treated dissimilarly from African-Americans of the same rank with the same hairstyle, because he's white, because he 'crossed over' in a hairstyle," Holland said.

Holland contends that Horne, who is black, knew and disapproved of Strain's interracial romance, and expressed his disapproval through discipline.

Worse yet, Holland said, other police brass knew of Horne's actions and chose not to intervene.

Strain, a Marine who served in Iraq, joined the Police Department in 2004. He's assigned to the 35th District, headquartered at Broad Street and Champlost Avenue in Fern Rock.

Horne is the inspector in charge of the Northwest Division, which is where the district is located.

Holland said the complaint wasn't filed in attempt to get money from the city but because he wants the department to "institute better sensitivity training, more insightful race relations, more political correctness, as tired of a phrase as that sounds.

"You gotta walk the walk. You hear the talk all the time about political correctness and how the city is an equal-opportunity employer," Holland said.

A police spokesman declined to comment yesterday. Previously, the department told the Daily News that Strain had not been disciplined.

Holland said he did not think city officials have received a copy of the complaint yet

jeez, whats next filing a complaint for not being allowed to wear baggy sweats and a wave cap to work. why doesnt he just get a normal haircut and concentrate on work. white folks just dont look good in cornrows or dreads!
    Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

Comment

Originally posted by jgorto View Post
      white folks just dont look good in cornrows or dreads!
      In my opinion nobody does, especially in law enforcement. I feel it is simply unprofessional.

Comment

True, However if this officer has to cut them off then so should every other officer. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
          True, However if this officer has to cut them off then so should every other officer. End of story.
          Yeah but Rachel Bilel and the rest of the GCL will call it racist!
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

LMAO!

Careful she might sue O.com next!

Comment

i have an issue with the whole black/white thing. i can see his point. although i think that hairstyle is very unprofessional anyways, and no one should be allowed to wear it. but if they're gonna let one do it, they have to let all.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
                LMAO!

Careful she might sue O.com next!
                Or me!
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

LOL he needs to sit down. I mean maybe he enjoyed being on the news and in papers. He doesn't want his 15 mins of fame to end. I mean honestly I wouldn't want mine to end ahaha. I think that is the reason he's suing, because it's not that serious.

I agree though if one race can't wear it, no one should be allowed.

But even if he wins or looses it will be weird for him at work LOL like you sued your employer, he's gonna make them mad hahaha.
                  Last edited by casey4201; 11-08-2009, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Next there will be a movie and book deal on this event lmao.

Comment

Its no way about fame. Its about $$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by mustanginky View Post
                        i have an issue with the whole black/white thing. i can see his point. although i think that hairstyle is very unprofessional anyways, and no one should be allowed to wear it. but if they're gonna let one do it, they have to let all.
                        I agree, I don't know if African-Americans are allowed to wear it, but if they are so should everybody else, equal workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
                          I agree, I don't know if African-Americans are allowed to wear it, but if they are so should everybody else, equal workplace.
                          They are. But to be honest I see more female african americans wearing them than males.

Comment

I see no problem with females wearing it due to naturally having long hair and can be a little safer than a normal pony tale. No male should be able to grow his hair long enough to even wear cornrows.

Comment

I will have to agree with Penn_Prospect. I think females should be allowed to wear cornrows also. They have always been convenient and easy for women to wear.

Now males on the other hand. I despise the look. It's just unprofessional.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4558 users online. 239 members and 4319 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X