300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
    I don't have a problem with them striking if they felt they weren't getting what they should be getting. I have a problem that they did it in such a way to say F U to the people that DEPEND on Public Transportation. It wasn't an F U to the city or to Septa, it was an F U to the public to strike without any warning or notice at 3am.
    If they wanted to shove it to Nutter (or little ceasar as they were calling him) and to Rendell they really didn't. They shoved it up the *** of the working person, the school kids and the people that depend on the Septa system to get around. I believe that was the intention of the union leaders to do that to make this as tough on the public as they could. It wasn't the right thing to do.
    I agree the timing was off but they never said there would be no strike. They held it off while the world series was in Philly. The package SEPTA placed was immediately taken off after the world series ended and another reason why they striked. Fast Eddie and Busta Nutter are only there so they can stave off a strike by DC 47 and the other union which would of been a 1-2 strike in this city and so it can seem they are doing business.

SEPTA supervisors (the idiots in the jeeps/fords) are all trained to operate SEPTA equipment and there is no reason why they can not run the equipment as they are all trained. SEPTA can run the major routes in this city on a delayed schedule and still get people into the city using the EL, subway and bus/trolley routes.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Like I said, the drivers base pay is more than the cops. Our base pay is around $78,000 + longevity and other add ins. So with 5 yrs in and no OT, most officers are making around $85,000, many crackin $100,000 with OT.

We're busy, but not Philly busy. They are severely underpaid.
      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by casey4201 View Post
        He clearly said "The drivers" in his post if you missed that.
        Did not miss that at all, which cops is the question from his post, Septa or Philly is my point...either way

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          I agree the timing was off but they never said there would be no strike. They held it off while the world series was in Philly. The package SEPTA placed was immediately taken off after the world series ended and another reason why they striked. Fast Eddie and Busta Nutter are only there so they can stave off a strike by DC 47 and the other union which would of been a 1-2 strike in this city and so it can seem they are doing business.

SEPTA supervisors (the idiots in the jeeps/fords) are all trained to operate SEPTA equipment and there is no reason why they can not run the equipment as they are all trained. SEPTA can run the major routes in this city on a delayed schedule and still get people into the city using the EL, subway and bus/trolley routes.
          Good point. I didn't know they were trained to operate the trains and subways. Why aren't they then??

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
            Good point. I didn't know they were trained to operate the trains and subways. Why aren't they then??
            No idea. But field supervisors (the people in the jeeps) come from the union ranks and are required to maintain correct operators licenses. Like I said, not reaosn why they cant run the main routes but on a limited schedule.

Comment

PHILADELPHIA - November 7, 2009 (WPVI) -- SEPTA, and members of its largest union, are expected to vote Saturday afternoon on an agreement that could end a strike that has idled Philadelphia's subways, buses and trolleys.

At a news conference last night, Gov. Ed Rendell said he was confident that trains and buses would be in operation by tonight.

Rendell, who has been brokering the talks, said negotiators for Transport Workers Union Local 234 and the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority tentatively agreed on a proposed contract and both sides are set to take a vote at 2 p.m. Saturday.

"We hope to be announcing the resumption of service by Saturday evening," SEPTA spokesman Richard Maloney said.
              The union represents about 5,000 bus drivers, subway and trolley operators and mechanics. They walked out early Tuesday in a dispute largely centered on pension benefits.

The union had threatened to strike while the World Series was in town last weekend, but negotiators continued bargaining after Rendell threatened "significant consequences" if that happened. The union went on strike hours after the series between the Phillies and Yankees shifted back to New York.

SEPTA's regional railroad is still running because those workers are represented by a different union, but that system has experienced problems of its own this week.

On Wednesday, a railcar caught fire as it headed downtown, causing delays and confusion but no serious injuries. On Thursday, a packed commuter train struck and killed a rail worker during the morning rush, stranding hundreds of riders as lines had to be shut down for hours.

Neither accident was related to increased volume due to the strike, SEPTA said.

Most striking SEPTA workers collected their last paychecks on Friday, and there is no strike pay for them.

Comment

Nov 8, 2009 5:06 pm US/Eastern No New Talks In Day 6 Of Transit StrikePHILADELPHIA (AP) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1

Close

numSlides of totalImages Related Slideshows Celebrity Appearances On Talk Philly 13 Shot Dead At Fort Hood, Largest U.S. Army Base Yankees Play Phillies In World Series Phillies 2009 Postseason Fall Foliage Photos 2009 Jack-O-Lantern Pictures Related StoriesUnion Leader Says Philly Transit Strike Will Go On
                (11/8/2009)
                Commuters in the City of Brotherly Love have been told to gear up to begin a second week of finding other ways to work following the collapse of a proposed deal to end a six-day-old strike by about 5,000 bus drivers, subway and trolley conductors and mechanics.

The largest union representing workers of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority wants an independent forensic audit of pension funds. The union is also rejecting language that could reopen the contract if SEPTA's costs increase due to national health care reform.

SEPTA spokesman Richard Maloney said the ball is in the union's court "to come back to the table and sign the contract."

"We feel badly for our riders," he said Sunday. "They're being unnecessarily hurt in many ways across the five-county area. There are countless thousands of people who are suffering, and it's unnecessary."
                Jamie Horwitz, spokesman for the Transport Workers Local 234, said the two sides had reached agreement on monetary and pension issues, but differences remained on the health reform provision and union president Willie Brown's call for an audit.

"Like riders, we want a resolution to this," Horwitz said Sunday. "We also have a responsibility to our members."
                Pensions have been the major issue in the strike and "there are many questions about the way the pension was managed by SEPTA," Horwitz said.

Brown told reporters Saturday night that if the agency did not agree to an audit "then I guess we're going to be here for a while."

The health care language has taken on new urgency following the U.S. House's approval of a health care reform bill late Saturday, Horwitz said. The provision could lead to another strike or another lengthy round of negotiation before the five-year agreement runs its course, he said.

"That's not acceptable to the union and we would like to see a contract that is binding for the length of the agreement," he said.
                Both sides said no new meetings were scheduled.

Gov. Ed Rendell, who had been brokering the talks, said he was leaving the negotiations and taking $7 million in state funding with him unless union members are allowed to vote on the agency's proposal on Monday.

But Brown told reporters that could not happen for "the same reason the president of the United States would not bypass the Congress and the Senate and take it to the people and say 'Lets vote.' That's not what our constitution says. Our constitution says it goes through the executive board.".

The union had threatened to strike while the World Series was in town, but negotiators continued bargaining after Rendell threatened "significant consequences" if that happened. The union went on strike early Tuesday, hours after the series between the Phillies and Yankees shifted back to New York.

Regional SEPTA trains have continued to run because their workers are represented by a different union, but the system has seen packed trains and problems of its own. A railcar heading downtown caught fire Wednesday, causing delays and confusion but no serious injuries. The next day, a train struck and killed a rail worker, stranding hundreds of riders during the morning rush hour. The agency said neither accident was related to increased volume due to the strike.

Comment

SEPTA strike is over!

Comment

When I heard this morning the Strike was over it was just a small and short mention on the news. It was almost like the news reporter didn't think it was worth talking about? If you weren't paying attention to the TV or were in another room, you probably wouldn't have heard the report.

I had to come online to check because I wasn't sure if everything was running again.

Comment

I was so happy it was running so I could use it to take to the Municipal I hate parking downtown ughh.

& Also I am upset with SEPTA. But I am more upset with Rendell. He gave SEPTA 7 million of our tax dollars. The budget was just passed and he's spending all the money already. This is the reason we were just in a Budget Crisis.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3470 users online. 267 members and 3203 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X