This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doorless jeep wranglers in pennsylvania

Doorless jeep wranglers , will you guys give a citation for them ?? I was just wondering because i received a warning for having my doors off yesterday, later in the day i found this ...

§ 175.77. Body.

(a) Condition of body. All items on the body shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Fenders. The wheels of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with fenders of a type used as original equipment. A tire may not come in contact with the body, fenders or chassis of the vehicle.

(c) Hood and hood latches. The entire motor compartment of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be covered by a hood. The hood shall be equipped with a double latch system to hold it in the closed position if the hood was originally so equipped.

(d) Protruding objects. There may be no torn metal, glass or other loose or dislocated parts protruding from the body of the vehicle.

(e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

The jeep wrangler wasn't made with a top and the soft top is only on there for protection from the weather not for protection in a crash( It even says it in all the manuals that came with the vehicle)

Please help me gain a little insight on this , i love door-less jeeping !

If you read section (f) that answers your question and pretty clearly.
    (f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side.

Basically you cannot take a chainsaw and cut off the doors and roof to your car because you feel like it and drive around in it. If the car comes from the dealer without doors or roof from the manufacturer then its OK.

You also run the risk of insurance issues if you modify the car yourself and get into an accident. If you cut your doors off then you and your honey are thrown from the car and you manage to survive you could not only face criminal charges but your insurance company could shove the screws to you. (and face civil action if you live)

Comment

Since a Wrangler never came with a roof merely a soft or hard top. I don't think there should be a ticket. You might consider just getting half or tube doors to CYA.

Comment

I thought that the warning was for the doors that Blackcat removed him/herself not the roof?

Comment

Wranglers don't have roofs, they never have. A roof provides structural integrity and in a Wrangler that is done by the roll bars. The doors are the same way, they can be hard or soft doors, some are half and half. I am guessing the top was on but the doors were off. Blackcat, am I correct. Is your Wrangler a JK, TJ or YJ? What type of doors did it come with?

Comment

Um I thought there were Hard top Jeep Wranglers?? The roof would not be in violation if the car was basically made that way from the way section f reads to me. That is most likely why he/she was only warned about the doors because they were the violation.

Comment

Some people might confuse a hard top with a roof. It is merely made of fiberglass but looks like a roof. I personally like the look of a hard top Wrangler better than a soft top. Anyway, it is just as removable as a soft top and a hard top and soft top are interchangeable. I don't blame them it's not feasible to know every vehicle ever made. It is possible the OP was warned for a county or city ordinance that is more restrictive.

Originally posted by Ifly View Post
              You have to realize that there are two sentences there. The first states that the vehicle shall be equipped with doors. The second talks about the door opening and closing and says that this sentence does not apply to vehicles without roof or side. Basically there would be nothing for the door to close to if there was no vehicle side.

For your purpose the only thing that applies is the first sentence, doors are required. If the exception were to apply to this requirement it would be listed as such.
              The Wranglers are not manufactured with a roof. So wouldn't that exempt the door requirement?
              Last edited by KJB; 07-23-2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side.
                You have to realize that there are two sentences there. The first states that the vehicle shall be equipped with doors. The second talks about the door opening and closing and says that this sentence does not apply to vehicles without roof or side. Basically there would be nothing for the door to close to if there was no vehicle side.

For your purpose the only thing that applies is the first sentence, doors are required. If the exception were to apply to this requirement it would be listed as such.

Comment

Its a new 2008 jeep wrangler jk with full doors , glass windows and a soft top... I actually have spoken with a lawyer and his advice was that it is legal as long i i have mirrors on the jeep. If i do receive a ticket he would be willing to fight it for me because i am not in the wrong

Comment

I noticed this on the Jeep website: "Driving with doors off[1] is an innate rite of owning a Wrangler."

Fine print: [1] "Driving with the doors off and windshield down is for off-road use only."

I'm sure it varies state to state, but it sounds like you don't even have the manufactures blessing

Comment

Originally posted by blackcat083 View Post
                      Its a new 2008 jeep wrangler jk with full doors , glass windows and a soft top... I actually have spoken with a lawyer and his advice was that it is legal as long i i have mirrors on the jeep. If i do receive a ticket he would be willing to fight it for me because i am not in the wrong
                      Unfortunately doors are required on your particular vehicle. On a side note, it would not pass state inspection without the doors on. Your lawyer sounds like a tool. Why go through all the nonsense associated with receiving and defending a citation when you have already been warned something is illegal? BTW, mirrors have nothing to do with it. Be smart!

Comment

Not a suprise. Sounds like a lawyer drumming up business. You go to court, he gets paid, you lose, he says "Sorry", or better yet, says to appeal so he gets more money! Good luck, you have been warned.

BTW, mirrors have nothing to do with it.
                        Title 67 requires a side mirror and on some jeeps the mirror is attached to the door. When you take the door off you can also be cited for the mirror requirment. Most Jeeps I see now have the mirror on the A post. One less ticket I guess.

Comment

Sorry KJB, didn't see your post. What it boils down to is one line:

A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment.

The part about the roof and side only applies to the doors opening and closing. If doors were not required it would read something like....Doors are required...they must open and close...unless there is no roof or side. (All one sentence) Since the unless statment is not part of the first sentence it does not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Ifly View Post
                            Not a suprise. Sounds like a lawyer drumming up business. You go to court, he gets paid, you lose, he says "Sorry", or better yet, says to appeal so he gets more money! Good luck, you have been warned.

Title 67 requires a side mirror and on some jeeps the mirror is attached to the door. When you take the door off you can also be cited for the mirror requirment. Most Jeeps I see now have the mirror on the A post. One less ticket I guess.
                            Thanks for the education Like I said before two seperate issues. Even if it had mirrors, it would still require doors!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Last edited by tp2165; 07-25-2009, 06:53 AM. Reason: Typical knot heads needing clarification

Comment

TP, You were right from the start. I wasn't trying to say otherwise, just clarifing for others. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
                              Last edited by Ifly; 07-25-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8758 users online. 327 members and 8431 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X